Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do I need an XH frog rod?..

Why do I need an XH frog rod? Why can't I get by with just a Heavy? I don't fish on lakes where there's much matted grass. is there another purpose for a 7'3" XH that would justify buying one?..

2. Member
    Use what feels right for you, not just what people tell you what works for them.. different scenarios and lakes call for different set ups. For what it’s worth, I use a 7’3 MH Flipping rod with 30lb braid as my frog set up. Never felt underpowered and never lost a fish due to the rod or line. I don’t fish overly heavy/matted cover, just sparse weeds and thick lily pad fields.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    Why do I need an XH frog rod? Why can't I get by with just a Heavy? I don't fish on lakes where there's much matted grass. is there another purpose for a 7'3" XH that would justify buying one?..

Sounds like you don't need a XH. Buy frogs that collapse easy and have good hooks, use a quality braid and you will do well with a H.

4. Member
    I do fine with a heavy or MH.

5. Member
    I don't think you do - a good MH or H with braid will cast the frogs better and move any fish that you hook in the thick stuff.

6. Member
    There’s also no industry standard for a ML, M, MH, H, XH etc.

You may already be fishing with a rod powerful enough for the task at hand but labeled as Hvy. Just match your cover and fish size accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    There’s also no industry standard for a ML, M, MH, H, XH etc.

You may already be fishing with a rod powerful enough for the task at hand but labeled as Hvy. Just match your cover and fish size accordingly.
    Agreed about the lack of an industry standard and to further complicate the subject, there are even substantial variations within a single manufacturer when comparing a rod based solely on its "power" delineation. Someone might need a "hammer" in general, but a framing hammer does a far different job than a sledge hammer. It's no different when looking for a "rod" to do a specific job.

8. Member
    You may not. Out of all of my setups, I caught the most frog fish and big snakeheads in South Florida on my MH Gen 1 Veritas, with no issues. Grass was one thing, but pulling fish out of canals with shopping carts is another. No probs.

9. Member
    Get something that will work with a long cast and the line type you will be using.
    You will have to drive the hook home!

Find what works for you, just because it works well for someone else doesn’t mean it works for you. Took me a few tries before I landed on my frog rod(s). I started down the the traditional path: heavy fast action 7’1, 7’4 then I found Megabass. The Orochi XXX Destruction was the first rod where hooks increased. It’s a heavy with a regular action paired with good braid it was an awesome frog rod. Since then I moved on to a P5 TB and Triza Dragoon, both with the same power heavy and regular bend. These are perfect for me. Find what works for you. I share this to help you on your journey.

11. Member
    You would want an XH for pulling big fish out of heavy cover vegetation. If your fishing sparse veg or pad lines an XH will be overkill and wear you out if you are popping and walking a frog for long. I see some pros using M and MH rods with 30lb braid for these more open water conditions. One frog rod is not ideal for all conditions. I love froggin and use 3 sticks

12. Member
    I see. thank you for all the replies, I've been down with Covid since before Christmas and haven't been around since then but have been very interested in this topic.

I ended up with a 7'3" eXpride XH for Christmas though I'm not sure what I was thinking when I ordered it. it seems to be a pretty popular rod all said and done. what else can I use this for?..

13. Member
    Jig n pig rod
    for thick timber

I can always think of ways to buy another rod. I have used a 7-0 heavy with braid in water chestnuts on the Hudson and it worked for years. An excavator would be appropriate with Chestnuts......

15. Member
    I see. thank you for all the replies, I've been down with Covid since before Christmas and haven't been around since then but have been very interested in this topic.

I ended up with a 7'3" eXpride XH for Christmas though I'm not sure what I was thinking when I ordered it. it seems to be a pretty popular rod all said and done. what else can I use this for?..

This rod is also my frog rod, but I've found it super versatile. 5/8-3/4oz flipping jigs in heavy cover, 5/8-3/4oz swim jigs w/ 5+" swimbaits in heavy cover, 68 huds jig hook and weedless, 6"magdrafts, fatty 6" trashfish, etc. Haven't done it, but could probably slow roll a heavy spinnerbait or chatterbait with the tip of this as well. I can see myself selling 2 other rods that do some of these things to get another 7'3 XH expride.

scott

16. Member
    I use a H Tatula. Does fine even in thick grass

17. Banned
    I was told the same. Got one couldn't fish it for crap. Bought a med.hvy. Fast tip and my hook up ratio more than double and it didn't effect getting them in boat. My next favorite frog rod is a med. When presentation is key. Also the length goes with your personal preference. I'm only 5'7" so a 6'6" or 6'10" rod is plenty long enough for me. When I work a frog my tip has to be at the top of water.

18. Member

I have this rod. It doesn't fish like an XH. Try it for your frog fishing; it's amazing! But it will handle other heavy cover applications.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by softwateronly View Post
    This rod is also my frog rod, but I've found it super versatile. 5/8-3/4oz flipping jigs in heavy cover, 5/8-3/4oz swim jigs w/ 5+" swimbaits in heavy cover, 68 huds jig hook and weedless, 6"magdrafts, fatty 6" trashfish, etc. Haven't done it, but could probably slow roll a heavy spinnerbait or chatterbait with the tip of this as well. I can see myself selling 2 other rods that do some of these things to get another 7'3 XH expride.

scott
    wow interesting, thanks for the reply. I started out looking for something to pitch with like a 7'2"H. is that something you can use for all that stuff you list above?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    I have this rod. It doesn't fish like an XH. Try it for your frog fishing; it's amazing! But it will handle other heavy cover applications.
    thanks. I'm not sure how much frog fishing I will end up doing this year but I'm convinced to keep this rod and try it for different applications. I may end up selling it but not until I've given it a fair try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast