Thread: Percy priest

Percy priest

Just curious how this lake fished. If it had any vegetation in it or anything?

2. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    I am curious about how it fishes also.

3. Member
    There's no real grass outside of a few shorelines with what I call "pond weeds." They may attract fish at times but it's not enough to call it a pattern.

In terms of how it fishes: You can catch LM all around the lake. SM tend to be mostly mid-lake to dam though I've caught them as far south as Fate Sanders. Like a lot of lakes, prespawn is best time of year to catch quality. My best was 6-14 on a rocky shore on a s-bill in late February. Fall is also good for numbers. Summer is hard due to all the traffic. Lot of dudes fishing at night and offshore. And they don't really run a lot of water so current isn't really a factor like TN river. Overall, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill highland reservoir. Most of the fish relate to the channel but you can catch 'em shallow year round. Every decent spot I've found on the lake seems to be within spitting distance of the main channel. Admittedly I don't have the tech to effectively fish ledges so not sure that's a worthy pattern. Most of the tourney guys I see fish bluff walls with jigs and shakey heads. And if you've never been there, it's a minefield to navigate. Even at summer pool, much of the lake is sub-4 feet with rock and stumps everywhere.

4. Member
    JPP is a great lake considering the fishing and boating pressure. I've been on the lake since the late 70's and consider it my home lake. In the past few years some submerged grass has appeared, what we call musk grass and some hydrilla... musk grass everywhere and the hydrilla in a few but growing places and both can be found shallow and deeper. Doesn't really mat up anywhere consistently. I and my competition have been doing a better job of patterning the grass but I find it secondary to the other structure. Great lake for all seasons and all depths and styles. Clean water below the main bridge (up to 3-5 feet visibility) and stained water above (a foot +/) leads to many patterns. Every year multiple LM weighed in all seasons over 6lbs and SM over 4lbs... with occasional 7+ and 5+ respectively. Tournaments every weekend (all year = days) and every single night (except Wednesday unless there's one I haven't been made aware of) of the week (April-Sept). Typical reservoir style lake where you can find your favorite method of fishing depending on the season. Fishes small due to all the traffic/pressure. Summer pool navigation is easy if you have a map, follow the channel/hazard markers, and aren't a idiot. Winter drawdown (Oct-March) you need to pay more attention in some areas... but again your mapping should keep you clear. If you're considering a trip DM me for more.

5. Member
    Not a bad lake. I enjoy fishing it. I didn't start fishing until this past summer so I am new to the lake, but have caught some decent bass. It is tricky to navigate so you definitely need a good charting system, especially at winter pool.