Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amsoil Pro & Cons

Just repowered my boat with a Suzuki 4 stroke , question those of you using Amsoil synthetic motor oil and lower unit oil is that something I should look at ?

I have used the LU lube in several outboards. One thing it is known for is protection with water intrusion. It’s velocity stays the same in in cold weather. As far as the engine oil, I would break the engine in first.

3. Member
    As long as it's under warranty i would use what Suzuki recommends.

4. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    I use lower unit oil in my 1999 J225HO
    I noticed a difference in it first time I used it, smooth into gear , also used it in my 2005 Yamaha 1100, big difference in how smooth gears shifted after that. I have 13,500 miles on my new 2020 eco boost f-150, when I hit 30,000 I’m gonna change front rear differential to Amsoil, and transmission oil and filter. And not even gonna touch any of it again till 100,000 or 110,000 miles.

Years ago I worked for one of the largest fluid power companies in the U.S. I was on the facility’s side of the work. I was in charge of all of the manufacturing equipment and building. We were always testing oils and lubricants in our machines. To answer your question I will say I run Amsoil in all of my equipment. 2 and 4 stroke.

6. Member
    only con is the pricing

I have used amsoil LU and DI oil for many many years in my rude and dad in his opti. best oil made period!! great for harleys also. makes everything better on a harley
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    As long as the oil meets the designated standard for the type of engine, a company cannot void the Warranty.

Amsoil is great oil. I use it in most everything I have except my new F250.

9. Member
    This +1 Bypass filter system they have for any vehicles driven a lot of miles is really worth it also.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    Years ago I worked for one of the largest fluid power companies in the U.S. I was on the facility’s side of the work. I was in charge of all of the manufacturing equipment and building. We were always testing oils and lubricants in our machines. To answer your question I will say I run Amsoil in all of my equipment. 2 and 4 stroke.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    As long as the oil meets the designated standard for the type of engine, a company cannot void the Warranty.
    Speaking for myself i wouldn't take the chance.

11. Member
    Amsoil is top notch and has been for quite some time. I run it in all my small engines.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordysvette View Post
    Just repowered my boat with a Suzuki 4 stroke , question those of you using Amsoil synthetic motor oil and lower unit oil is that something I should look at ?
    You're not going to save $$ buying Amsoil over Suzuki.
    OEM warranty, OEM product. Best idea, IMO.

13. Member
    I'm not a big amsoil fanboy but I have to say I have been using it for the last few years and I really like the convenience. The selection they have means that I can almost buy all my lubricants from a single dealer. Phone up my dealer to place an order and he delivers. They seem to be pretty detailed on their specs too. I use their marine gearcase oil, I really like that it meets gl4 and gl5 specs. I use it in my sho, my f series and my etec. Meeting gl4 specs means I also use it in my tractor diffs and I wouldnt hesitate to use it in the front diff of my truck. I use the oe 5w30 engine oil in everything, sho, f series, my eco boost, my car, my zero turn, gen sets, pressure washer etc... I buy their iso oil for our cat pumps and air compressors, bar and chain oil for chainsaws and chain driven equipment, sabre 2 stroke oil for outdoor equipment, even use their offroad poly truck grease for pins and ball joints and the water resistant grease for bearings etc... my only gripe is I cant order the engine oil in 5 gallon pails...

Currently only non amsoil lubricants i carry are Ford mercon lv for transmission and transfer case as I dont believe amsoil has a product for this and I still buy tractor hst/hydraulic oil from my dealer in 5 gallon pails.

14. Member
    My 300X was raised on Amsoil. Never an issue.

15. Member
    Only Amsoil high ZDDP formula goes into my 90 ZR-1
    1988 Bass Tacker Tournament Pro V17, 70 HP 2 stroke Mercury, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 7CV (SOLD)
    2022 Bass Tracker Classic XL, 50HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 93SV, Micro Anchor

16. Member
    "It’s velocity stays the same". quote from post #2

Keeping the speed the same can be tricky, LOL.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I have used the LU lube in several outboards. One thing it is known for is protection with water intrusion. It’s velocity stays the same in in cold weather. As far as the engine oil, I would break the engine in first.
    I think the word you want is “viscosity”??

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowabass3826 View Post
    Amsoil is top notch and has been for quite some time. I run it in all my small engines.
    I use it in everything that has an engine,transfer case, differential and transmission. Since '90, never a failure of any kind. I've used it since new, in our old 04 Pilot, 365,000 miles with everything original but maintenance items.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think this is the best advice there is!

20. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    You're not going to save $$ buying Amsoil over Suzuki.
    OEM warranty, OEM product. Best idea, IMO.
    Lol, Suzuki doesn’t manufacture oils!
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast