Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St. Lawrence Trip

Coming up to fish opening week. Staying on Wellesley Island in the state park in a cabin. Any reviews on them? Best ramps around? Best places to eat, tackle shops? This is our first time coming up! Any help is appreciated!
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

2. Member
    1000 islands bait shop is definitely a must stop place, they can help put you on fish, offer tips and just give overall reports.

For ramps I would base it off the areas where you’d want to fish, I’d break it down to like 5 areas. Cape Vincent, Clayton, Alex Bay, Ogdensburg/Morristown and waddington/Massena.

Cape Vincent has a few on Route 12E that are great and puts you close to the main lake.

Imo there’s no “good” ramps in Clayton besides the town launch. Most everyone just uses French Creek Marina but be careful of that one. Hug the dock side not the Retaining wall side, there’s exposed rebar and stumps close to the retaining wall.

Alex Bay I like Keewaydin state park a lot, it’s a pain though since the trailer lot is like a mile away from the ramp but the ramp itself is great. I have never used the Wellesley island ramp but I would just stick with that one.

waddington has the ramp the elites go out of but to get away from the crowds I’d suggest launching nears the Mcginnings Rd also helps if it’s windy since it’s tucked back in a bay.

Massena intake ramp is about as far up as you can go without getting into the Akwasane reservation.

i wish I could offer better advice but I suck up there (not even joking). For food if you like Italian, Italian affair in Massena is awesome. For Mexican, Hotel Grande In Norfolk is our favorite place to go, albeit those places are quite a ways away from the island. The Clipper Inn is good for upscale/fancy food In Clayton.

I hope you have a great time up there! North country is a great place to be. Also if you’re up for it if the wind sucks visit some of the ADK lakes.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 12-24-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Yes state parks are nice … cedar point state park and cap Vincent have ramps …keewaydin nice park
    like he said … but have to walk 1/2 mile to park .. but good areas to Fish..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

4. Member
    Wellesley island state park has a couple launches that I have used for the last 30 yrs with my 21 ft bass boat

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos285proxl View Post
    Coming up to fish opening week. Staying on Wellesley Island in the state park in a cabin. Any reviews on them? Best ramps around? Best places to eat, tackle shops? This is our first time coming up! Any help is appreciated!
    Just don't be disappointed if you don't catch a 20 to 25 pound bag. The St lawrence once figured out gives them up easily. Figuring it out can be a challenge. Even though a world class fishery it's not as easy as they make it on TV.
    Good news is some fish and big uns will be on beds,
    With that said should break your pb multiple times.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-28-2021 at 12:31 AM.

6. Member
    You also have Chaumont Bay if the wind is bad or you want to venture out to the lake it offers a quick shot out to islands. The Blue heron is in Chaumont to eat at. There is also Jack's Diner. Up in A Bay you have Admirals, they have great perch dinner, but all the food is good there as well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuts9 View Post
    You also have Chaumont Bay if the wind is bad or you want to venture out to the lake it offers a quick shot out to islands. The Blue heron is in Chaumont to eat at. There is also Jack's Diner. Up in A Bay you have Admirals, they have great perch dinner, but all the food is good there as well.
    Yep A-Bay has a ton of restaurants. There are lots of options to fish in that area. With a map a good weather forecast, you can find somewhere out of the wind.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

8. Member
    Theres a nice ramp at the state park and a marina to keep your boat, however you have to drive around the island if you want to fish us water waters because it's on the north side of the island. My advice if you want to fish around clayton/a bay is spend a little time idling and graphing your first day and then run spots. It definitely isnt as easy as people make it out to be but if you keep moving you'll start to figure out how they position and where they live. Dont spend too much time in one spot

Wellesley Island state par has an excellent launch. I think there is a smaller one by the cabins but if I remember correctly it not for larger boats. Since you can now fish the Canadian side and being right by the border, I would get a Canadian license and hit that side quite bit.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Wellesley Island state par has an excellent launch. I think there is a smaller one by the cabins but if I remember correctly it not for larger boats. Since you can now fish the Canadian side and being right by the border, I would get a Canadian license and hit that side quite bit.
    Agree 100 percent on the canadian side

11. Member
    If the cabins you're staying at on Wellesley are Dewolf Point State Park, there's a good ramp right beside the cabins. You can see it on Google maps. Dewolf Point is on "Lake of the Isles" which is actually in the St. Lawrence River...It looks like a lake because it's surrounded by Wellesley and Hill Islands, with entrances at both ends....That's the geography lesson of the day (it's where I live)....great fishing area and lots to see
    Last edited by McQuaig; 01-06-2022 at 11:14 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

12. Member
    A cabin at dewolf point is on my wish list
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

13. Member
    Looks like the cabins we got is on eel bay. As far as fishing the Canadian side, what is the process of getting to fish that? License then what else?
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

14. Member
    License and make sure for dont anchor or dock without checking in with customs. That includes power poles.
    1995 Ranger 481v

I didnt think bass season opened up there in canada until first saturday in July

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    I didnt think bass season opened up there in canada until first saturday in July
    you’re right it doesn’t. I forgot the part where the op said he’s going opening weekend. Good catch
    1995 Ranger 481v

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    For NY and Canada in that area, 3rd Saturday in June, no CnR before the season opens.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    For NY and Canada in that area, 3rd Saturday in June, no CnR before the season opens.
    NY-no fishing at all for bass before 3rd Saturday in June.

Canada-season opens first Saturday in July for smallmouth. No catch and release from May 10-July 1st.
    1995 Ranger 481v

19. Member
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

20. Member
    Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. Be up there June 25-July 2nd!
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast