Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Isn’t zone 20 Lake Ontario and the river? Zone 18 I thought I’d from the 1000islands shores inland
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    ugh, now looking at a zoomed in map, you may be right. It looks like, maybe, the lake and up the river could be zone 20.

"FMZ 20:
    • includes the Canadian waters of Lake Ontario, the Bay of Quinte, the Niagara River below Niagara Falls, Hamilton Harbour and the St. Lawrence River
    • cities along its borders include Toronto, Hamilton, Kingston and Brockville" I would look into this before making a trip up there. Did the zone 20 different dates happen recently? I fish the NY side of the lake and up in zone 18 and never knew about the different date of zone 20. This is pretty confusing. If you look at the zone 18 map the boundary line goes right up the US/Canada border. But if you get the zoomed imaged of 20 and 18, 20 includes the River. But you really need zoom in on the image. https://www.lioapplications.lrc.gov.on.ca/fishonline/Index.html?viewer=FishONLine.FishONLine&locale=en-CA.
    Last edited by zaprod71; 01-18-2022 at 06:14 AM.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

3. Member
    Going by their interactive map, it’s very confusing. You can click the link around lake of the isles and it shows “zone: 18,20”. So I’m not sure how to interpret that especially with them having different season dates.
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

4. Member
    It’s definitely confusing and that map doesn’t make it easy. But better to play it safe than sorry. After all, it’s only one additional week to wait and having a non Canadian registration on your boat is just begging to get checked. They patrol pretty heavily there. Always been nice to chat with but never have them a chance to have anything but a friendly conversation
    1995 Ranger 481v

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    It’s definitely confusing and that map doesn’t make it easy. But better to play it safe than sorry. After all, it’s only one additional week to wait and having a non Canadian registration on your boat is just begging to get checked. They patrol pretty heavily there. Always been nice to chat with but never have them a chance to have anything but a friendly conversation
    If I could wait a week, I would just to be sure but we already booked those dates. I’ll do some more digging and if I have to call, I will. I mean fishing the US side only doesn’t bother me at all. Being our first time up, I’m sure it’s gonna be a lot to take in anyways!
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

6. Member
    It amazes me that they expect people to see that little sliver of zone 20 running up 1/2 the width to the River. When I originally posted I looked at the map and "saw" zone 18 running down the US border. I apologize if I have inconvenienced you at all.
    You really need to read the zone description AND look at the map.
    I can remember when the River opened up a week before what is now zone 18. Any thoughts why it has been pushed back?
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

7. Member
    I just booked a cabin at dewolfe point state park. 7 nights/300$. Labor day week.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

8. Member
    Gonna start this thread back up as im trying to start preparing for this trip. Is there a website that lists everything i need to have in the boat to be "Legal" like flares, paddles, etc.? Also on fishing the Canadian side I'm assuming you need license, drivers license/passport, and now the vaccination card? If you have to have the vac card, I'm out on that part cause most of the guys ill be with will not have a card.
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

9. Member
    1995 Ranger 481v

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos285proxl View Post
    Looks like the cabins we got is on eel bay. As far as fishing the Canadian side, what is the process of getting to fish that? License then what else?
    You can run up through The Narrow, and you will have a choice of islands to fish off including T I Park, with Fishers Landing just a couple few miles near by. Eel bay has some great shoals to fish off heading toward Canoe Point state park and Robinson Group.

Now warning, be careful of the tour boats in this area, which do not give a rat's butt about anyone fishing. As for towns eateries, many choices in Clayton and A Bay with public docks when available, but lock up all your gear and electronic.

If you are thinking of fishing the Canadian side, obviously need their fishing license, and enhanced driver's license or passport.
    Hope you have a great time and the fish cooperate. Tight lines.

Digthemup’s advice about the tour boats in the Narrows is spot on. During the busy season (esp. July/August weekends) I avoid running that stretch in the afternoon if at all possible. Lots of much bigger boats and boat wakes. The channel is narrow to the point that the boat wakes have nowhere to go to dissipate. It’s a bit like being on spin cycle in a washing machine.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    Digthemup’s advice about the tour boats in the Narrows is spot on. During the busy season (esp. July/August weekends) I avoid running that stretch in the afternoon if at all possible. Lots of much bigger boats and boat wakes. The channel is narrow to the point that the boat wakes have nowhere to go to dissipate. It’s a bit like being on spin cycle in a washing machine.
    Ransome,
    I believe you may be talking about the American Narrows, which are really bad under the T.I. Bridge to Point Vivian. I am talking about the Narrow that is between Murray and Wellesley island, so you can go in and out of Eel bay to the river. Normally, I come off plain and idle through it, but I have seen some rented tiller tin boats go through it pretty quick.

I hate the American Narrows so much that I trailer and launch at Pier 65 even from our cottage in Blind bay next to Chippewa bay.

Sorry - you are absolutely right. I was talking about the American Narrows. I actually just shuddered LOL

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    Sorry - you are absolutely right. I was talking about the American Narrows. I actually just shuddered LOL
    You read my last sentence in my previous post how much I go to avoid it. I got caught in it with a loaded laker plowing through it nearly taking the entire freaking channel and pushing a huge ball of water. Apart from being the grace of God, I do not know why i didn't stove into one of those rollers coming off the crest heading into the trough.

My butt hole puckered up tighter than a bull frog's that I was constipated for days.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    You read my last sentence in my previous post how much I go to avoid it. I got caught in it with a loaded laker plowing through it nearly taking the entire freaking channel and pushing a huge ball of water. Apart from being the grace of God, I do not know why i didn't stove into one of those rollers coming off the crest heading into the trough.

My butt hole puckered up tighter than a bull frog's that I was constipated for days.
    Ouch! Glad you got through it okay. That stretch can be a nightmare for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12