Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    People seem to think Bass Fishing should be an everyman's sport. It can be, but within reason. Back in the '70s the typical bass fisherman was in a 17' boat rated for a 60hp, and a flasher was a luxury. Today everybody thinks they need 4 sonars, a gps controlled trolling motor, a 20' boat with maxed motor, padded carpet and every available option, lithium batteries, shallow water anchors, hydraulic plate, yada, yada, friggin' yada... All that "stuff" costs a ton of money and is responsible for about 60%+ of the new boat purchase cost. None of it is truly necessary and it's all a luxury. Strip back a ton of the "extras" and it'll seem a lot more affordable. BTW - it'll be a ton more dependable as well as all of that "stuff" breaks and can jack up a good fishing trip with frustration. It's kinda funny reading posts about boats that slowed way down and won't holeshot anymore after they've added poles or talons, huge troller, and double electronics. It's not the boat's fault - you need to pitch down 2" with a 4-blade prop now.

When a bare bones, 19' boat with a 200 and a basic TM is 52K that's just a little out of hand. I priced a 20' boat with NO TM, No engine, no graphs just boat and trailer.....50K! I understand things are expensive but WOW.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    There’s boats listed for over $80,000 with two 9” graphs and a spot lock trolling motor. So let’s just say $5,000 in extras over two 5” graphs and a regular trolling motor. $75,000 seems steep for a 20’ boat with a 250. There’s a couple of brands out there that offer package deals with Ultrex, double helix 9s ( or 9” and 12”) and shallow water anchors for $65,000

Not with the new “Lift Latches”
    Not with the new Rod Straps
    Not with 28 ounce carpeting
    Not with the new Dual Graph shelf
    Not with Horizon vinyl
    Not with 4 Gauge soldered trolling motor wiring
    Not with a 6 Gauge electronics harness and 2 terminal blocks (buss bars)
    Not with a lightening detector
    Not with Vinyl Ester Resin
    not with…. Many things already standard

5. Member
    VINYL ESTER!!!!!
    if you don't know pick your 5 year old other brand boat up off the trailer and see what you see �� might make some feel sick what the bunks are hiding

If you want quality construction - you're going to pay for it. My 13 year old cat still looks like the day I towed it home from the showroom. You won't find quality that lasts like BCB on any other brand.

7. Member
    I understand that BCB makes a boat with higher quality than most. I was simply pointing out the price point. The reasons that BCB just laid out makes more sense than blindly saying that the prices are sky high because of 4-12” graphs, power poles, hydraulic jackplates etc. while some are rigged like this at the dealership, many are not. It’s good to have choices. Not everyone can or wants to spend $85,000+ on a bass boat.

8. Member
    Why the conversion from 6 gauge troller? Is 6 not exceptable anymore
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

9. Member
    The average guy buys way more boat than he needs, if you just want the stuff I understand, wants cost.....

10. Member
    I just wish 1 of the 8 dealers and the guy at BCB understood how to read emails. At this point I’m just going to stay with my 2020 FXR. Service has been great, dealers have been great, unlike the BCB experience thus far.

thanks everyone for the responses.

bradknight83,

what email are you sending a message to? We do reply to emails and we don’t have any unanswered to our knowledge.

Edited: Brad we found your inquiry and we have found the issue with the glitch. We apologize.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 01-09-2022 at 11:47 AM.

12. Member
    I sent a basic inquiry over email and then also a local dealer I know passed along a contact within your org, which I will not name on here, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    bradknight83,

what email are you sending a message to? We do reply to emails and we don’t have any unanswered to our knowledge.

edited: Brad we found your inquiry and we have found the issue with the glitch. We apologize.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    I know you are all aware but figured I'd throw this out there for perspective.

--New 250 h.p. motor= $25,000
    --Fancy trolling motor= $3000
    --shallow water anchors=$5000
    --Electronics, 4 total = $10,000
    --Hydraulic jack plate = $2000
    --Stereo system = $1000

This is just my thoughts off the top of my head so take it for what its worth but I don't think I'm overestimating too much and that is $46,000 with no Boat to put any of that on and no trailer to get it to the lake. You can easily add more options than what I've listed that will increase the price further or decrease the options to reduce the price but I would say most people buying new 20 footers want these items.
    Manufactures aren't paying anywhere near what we pay for those items.

$96k with (3) live 12s, Ghost, Hydraulic plate and a few minor changes. No poles.
    Boatless

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Manufactures aren't paying anywhere near what we pay for those items.
    how much less do you think they pay? Let’s say a jackplate is 2k when a customer
    buys it from atlas or bobs, what do you think BassCat pays? I’d think they’d get some discount for volume but if it’s something like 50% then wow there’s some serious markup to the individual buyer!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ththomp2 View Post
    how much less do you think they pay? Let’s say a jackplate is 2k when a customer
    buys it from atlas or bobs, what do you think BassCat pays? I’d think they’d get some discount for volume but if it’s something like 50% then wow there’s some serious markup to the individual buyer!
    I'm sure it varies per product but look at the discount lowrance and humminbird do for closeouts or old tech graphs. Mark ups are huge in this industry, even on the boats. I would think manufactures are somewhere in the 50-60% of what we pay. Manufactures are guaranteed volume, lots of volume

Those mark downs on closed out graphs frustrate us. Electronics are our low margin items and the close outs at retail are below our costs. Electronics items we frequently get stuck with and the price does not increase significantly between versions, so they either close it out at a loss, or get stuck with it. We do know some retailers have sought reimbursement from manufacturers in some cases. They can get hung with hundreds of thousands in inventory when a Generation changes. We do as well at times as you folks want the latest products as they are advertised.

When a change is coming we have actually purchased close out electronics from a retailer before the product ages out, during a transition period. Which frequently is before the new product is on the shelves and they are closing out product as it’s last current. The electronics companies quit providing a Gen 3 unit and the Gen 4 units are not produced yet, while inventory on the Gen 3 units is non existent for OEM levels. We can’t do without and this becomes a resource for us as well. It is more common with Humminbird and Lowrance.

Electronics generally make a change around a retail season, which is advertised in their fall pamphlets for Christmas, though product may not be openly available until February or March in many cases.

BCB

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    for closeouts or old tech graphs
    I'm sure we would all object to putting a closeout or old tech on our brand new rig. We all know that the boat manufacturers are in business to stay in business which means they have to make a little money. If you are buying a rig that prices out at $90K you accept that it is a premium and you are paying some portion for profit.

Also, when it comes to closeouts and old tech graphs, you have to remember for the graph manufacturer they have sunk costs in the units. If they don't sell them it is equivalent to burning dollar bills. When they sell them for anything, even 50% off, they make something which is always better than nothing. For the graph manufacturer selling the discounted units is just given them access to funds that would otherwise be lost. The boat manufacturer isn't in the same position because they are buying them as current tech.

The real issue is who is taking the risk here - the boat manufacturer in making substantial periodic (perhaps annualized) purchases to support its customer base vs the graph manufacturer who isn't responsible for taking back the units and returning the money if there are units remaining at the end of the model year.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpeiserich View Post
    I'm sure we would all object to putting a closeout or old tech on our brand new rig. We all know that the boat manufacturers are in business to stay in business which means they have to make a little money. If you are buying a rig that prices out at $90K you accept that it is a premium and you are paying some portion for profit.

Also, when it comes to closeouts and old tech graphs, you have to remember for the graph manufacturer they have sunk costs in the units. If they don't sell them it is equivalent to burning dollar bills. When they sell them for anything, even 50% off, they make something which is always better than nothing. For the graph manufacturer selling the discounted units is just given them access to funds that would otherwise be lost. The boat manufacturer isn't in the same position because they are buying them as current tech.

The real issue is who is taking the risk here - the boat manufacturer in making substantial periodic (perhaps annualized) purchases to support its customer base vs the graph manufacturer who isn't responsible for taking back the units and returning the money if there are units remaining at the end of the model year.
    I wasn't saying the manufactures are purchasing closeout electronics. I was referring to the price that they drop to and the graph manufactures still make money and that there is a ton of mark up on fishing items. Also, that boat manufactures can get way better deals because they are guaranteed volume movers. I would find it hard to believe that boat manufacturers don't have a relationship with suppliers that would let them know of upcoming changes so they can order accordingly. Also, ofcourse they have to make money. They may like building boats but the profit is what keeps them doing it. This is simply my opinion and it doesn't just go for boats, we have come to a place where products are no longer looked at from quality for a quality price standpoint. Greed has taken a higher place and squeaking every single penny out of everything controls the way businesses are ran and products are priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    New fiberglass bass boats are nonessential luxury items for the wealthy. There is nothing wrong with that, it just needs to be accepted. There are plenty of folks who fall into the category of wealthy to keep these boat companies thriving. This is America, the rich like their toys. Be smart with your money, save for retirement, don’t fall into materialism, and you will be happy. The good news is that a middle class household that saves like the dickens for 30 years can become wealthy and write a check for a new Bass Cat without batting an eye.
    How about you just let people live their life the way they want to!
    Boatless

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast