2001 Johnson 225hp Intermittant Low Oil warning

I have a 2001 Johsnon 225 outboard model J225PLSIF that I bought from my father-in-law last winter. I have an intermittent low oil alarm that I can’t figure out. It seems to happen after running the motor for a while (sometimes 10 min, and sometimes 20 or 30 min). It happens sometimes when we are cruising on the lake a 4-5 kts and sometimes when we are at high speed pulling one of the kids on a tube. It is using oil from the reservoir and the bulb is firm when I check it (and when I get on the water). When I get the alarm, I stop the boat, turn off the motor, restart it and it will work again for a while without a warning. My father-in-law had the same problem and took it in to a repair shop. They drained the oil and said his filter was gummed up. They cleaned the filter. Any thoughts on the next step in the process? I am fairly green with boats (had a 50hp Evinrude before this without the auto fuel mix feature). Thanks.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What kind of oil are your running?

If it a LOW OIL warning and the light stays on, then chances are the float inside the tank is sticky. Remove the pickup assembly to inspect and test. This assumes that the alarm wire is not shorting somewhere.

You are certain it is LOW OIL warning and not the NO OIL, right?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

4. Member
    I am using quicksilver brand Marine TCW-3 2 stroke oil. Also, I am certain it is always the low oil light, every time so far.

5. Member
    I will try to inspect the pickup assembly. Any quick words on what to look for and how to test? Thank you.

6. Member
    Here is a link with picture of the low oil switch in the oil tank. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=sender