Thread: Truck drivers.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    ....and how does one learn these tricks of the trade if they don't do it...where do they get the experience....jus sayin
    A lot of industries that a person can't get into without proper experience. And most companies don't supply that.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Whats wrong with teaming them with an experienced driver for a year or two before they get turned loose on their own. Surely some type of OJT can be devised that is safe for everyone.
    Every CDL driver should be paired for 6-12 months, regardless of age, etc.
    Here in Florida, we just don't care at this point. Our roads are death traps.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    A lot of industries that a person can't get into without proper experience. And most companies don't supply that.
    We had apprenticeships ... before "higher education" decided it was preferable to collect cash & offer a few textbooks as a substitute.

4. Member
    I think this country needs every American that is capable of working to do so!! I travel for work and occasionally will stop at a Loves truck stop. Sometimes beside the cashier i feel like i may be the only other English speaking person in the place as no one else is speaking English ... This tells me that our country has some very serious problems as we all know!!!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    I think this country needs every American that is capable of working to do so!! I travel for work and occasionally will stop at a Loves truck stop. Sometimes beside the cashier i feel like i may be the only other English speaking person in the place as no one else is speaking English ... This tells me that our country has some very serious problems as we all know!!!
    I'll agree with your first statement. The "English Speaking" part is simply wrong, no other way to sugarcoat it for you.
    Our native language isn't English, it's not the legal language either, it's simply the de facto language thru majority use.
    English is secondary here ... as it's always been. Texas, Arizona, California, New Mexico, etc. same heritage/situation.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I'll agree with your first statement. The "English Speaking" part is simply wrong, no other way to sugarcoat it for you.
    Our native language isn't English, it's not the legal language either, it's simply the de facto language thru majority use.
    English is secondary here ... as it's always been. Texas, Arizona, California, New Mexico, etc. same heritage/situation.
    Good God, English isn't secondary. I've been all over Texas and New Mexico and English is understood 95+% of the time. Yes, there are some that don't understand it, but someone nearby does.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

7. Member
    When truck drivers are being imported from around the world because Americans aren't willing to work, prefer the easy handouts from uncle sugar, etc then it indicates a very real problem. I've been traveling for work for about 12 years now and I've seen the demographic in truck stops change greatly over that time. I will say also though that the practices of the large corporate carriers are part of the reason that they are having to import drivers from outside the country. There are several documentaries on this very subject the info is easy to find.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

8. Member
    How would everyone feel about hopping on a 747 with an 18-19 year old pilot ? I know that is not apples to oranges comparison but one mistake could cost several lives. We have trained a few drivers for up to 6 months, it cost us a lot of money to do that, then after they drive for a year or two they leave for another job, we cannot compete with the big trucking companies, they have full benefits, 401's, etc, wish we could. We do have drivers making 30.00 an hour and over 100K a year, not a bad gig, home everyday. Maybe our government should start training drivers, they throw billions of dollars at a lot of bs that has nothing to do with helping our country.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    How would everyone feel about hopping on a 747 with an 18-19 year old pilot ? I know that is not apples to oranges comparison but one mistake could cost several lives. We have trained a few drivers for up to 6 months, it cost us a lot of money to do that, then after they drive for a year or two they leave for another job, we cannot compete with the big trucking companies, they have full benefits, 401's, etc, wish we could. We do have drivers making 30.00 an hour and over 100K a year, not a bad gig, home everyday. Maybe our government should start training drivers, they throw billions of dollars at a lot of bs that has nothing to do with helping our country.
    I think the insurance companies will put a damper on 18 year olds driving. A lot of liability on ordinary drivers, much less 18 year olds.

Originally Posted by TMG
    Wow that's crazy.
    Will thay have to turn the steering wheel left and right ?
    Sounds confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    thats all it takes to drive a semi? hell, we may as well let 5 yr olds drive them too, then

Some of the ignorance on the subject here is amazing

This is the major problem on the road between trucks and cars, the mindset big rigs handle the same way as the family sedan.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Good God, English isn't secondary. I've been all over Texas and New Mexico and English is understood 95+% of the time. Yes, there are some that don't understand it, but someone nearby does.
    I don't think you understand OR recognized your faux pas ... either way, it is the secondary language to a LOT of Americans.
    While we absolutely speak & understand English in this household, it's not our primary. And if we didn't understand English?
    We actually have THREE major languages in Florida - English, Spanish & French. And Canada has TWO national languages.
    Languages, religions, political leanings, sexual preferences, marital status, etc. do NOT define people ... we're all one body.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    thats all it takes to drive a semi? hell, we may as well let 5 yr olds drive them too, then

Some of the ignorance on the subject here is amazing

That's ridiculous, no way he could reach the pedals.

I'm only joking around obviously it's a skill you have to learn.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

13. Member
    [QUOTE=Bassman Ia.;12236888]Properly trained would be the answer.

A driver in his twenties was sentenced to 110 years for the accident in Colorado. Why didn’t he take a run off ramp, he passed two of them? Did he think the brakes would fix themselves? Once you smoke out the brakes, can’t grab a lower gear, cheaper to pay the $500-$900 to be pulled back down off of a run away ramp.
    The worst thing that happened to the trucking industry is deregulation in 1980– second worst thing was Slick Willy bringing 80,000 Foreigners into the country to be drivers. They couldn’t speak English, most had total disregard for others on the road ( even other trucks).

I felt sorry for the kid until I saw he was doing twice the speed limit

14. Member
    [QUOTE=DaveBrabec;12239116]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Properly trained would be the answer.

A driver in his twenties was sentenced to 110 years for the accident in Colorado. Why didn’t he take a run off ramp, he passed two of them? Did he think the brakes would fix themselves? Once you smoke out the brakes, can’t grab a lower gear, cheaper to pay the $500-$900 to be pulled back down off of a run away ramp.
    The worst thing that happened to the trucking industry is deregulation in 1980– second worst thing was Slick Willy bringing 80,000 Foreigners into the country to be drivers. They couldn’t speak English, most had total disregard for others on the road ( even other trucks).

I felt sorry for the kid until I saw he was doing twice the speed limit

Not familiar with all the facts in that case but wouldn't it makes sense you would be going faster down hill with no brakes?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    We're talking truck driving here not nuclear science or brain surgery...jus sayin

16. Member
    I don't think you understand OR recognized your faux pas ... either way, it is the secondary language to a LOT of Americans.
    While we absolutely speak & understand English in this household, it's not our primary. And if we didn't understand English?
    We actually have THREE major languages in Florida - English, Spanish & French. And Canada has TWO national languages.
    Languages, religions, political leanings, sexual preferences, marital status, etc. do NOT define people ... we're all one body.
    TJ, I know you are always the smartest cat in the room, but I have lived in and spent a fair amount of time in TN, AR, SC, LA, OK, NM, TX, CO, MO and MT, and English was primary, by far, everywhere. Most of the Latinos and Cajuns I know, speak English as their primary. Several of the those Cajuns and Latinos don't even speak their "perceived native" languages at all. I never tried to define who people where, either, I just addressed the language issue, faux pas or not.

17. Member
    Are we talking about having kids?? Let's face it, the only way to gain experience ... DO IT!!!
    Promise, you only THINK you're ready for kids. All the training in the world doesn't make it true.
    Give them the education, tools, supervision, etc. and turn them loose to work, period.
    Wanna add a caveat ... must have a co-driver for 3 months, etc. have at it, but let them work!
    Adulthood is relative just as old is relative. I've worked with young people most of my life, at work and in my personal life. Men specifically, definitely mature at different rates, most by their mid to late 20's are pretty mature. Some never mature totally. Not saying an 18 year old can't do the job, they can with a lot of training and supervision. The military is not a good comparison to civilian work. I've read some scientific data thru the years thats states exactly what I've experienced in my adult life.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

18. Member
    I'm a truck driver I have been since 1995. I don't think its a good idea for any person of any age to be behind the wheel of a truck without real world training. If you look at the pay make sure you include conditions and hours worked before you say it pays well. I can make great money and send it home because I will never be there.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTTI View Post
    I'm a truck driver I have been since 1995.
    Thank you!!

20. Member
    My youngest has been driving semi since he was 16 for our farm,first around the yard then gravel township and county roads...Now he's 21 he gives me hell if I crawl a stop sign in low range even on our very lightly travel roads.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast