Question Yamaha new lower unit drain plug gaskets (black in color)

Is anybody using the mercury drain plug gaskets (red in color) on there hpdi Yamaha I’m having issues keeping the new black Yamaha gaskets tight drain plug wants to get loose new Yamaha gaskets don’t want to crush really hard material

2. Member
    I have seen Yamaha do some really strange things. That gasket change has got to be up at the top of the list.

3. Member
    Anybody know of anyone that's got the orange ones in stock?

4. Member
    I started using the ones from sierra after they changed them. I'm not normally one for aftermarket but they are way better than the new black ones from Yamaha.

5. Member
    I had a drain screw loosen up this past season on the SHO. First time I’ve ever had one loosen up. Didn’t put it together that it may have been the new style gasket until now. Guess I’ll have to check them often.

6. Member
    You've probably over torqued them. Oil on both sides of the gasket, run it in till it seats, then torque 45 degrees. Never had one come loose
    2016 Skeeter ZX225. 2016 Yamaha 225SHO
    99 Hells Bay Whipray. 99 Mercury 40

7. Member
    Now you have me wondering. I just replaced the old red ones with the new black ones a couple weeks ago. Hope I don't run into any issues. What type of problem does the black ones cause?

8. Member
    Leaking gear oil if they are over tightened.

9. Member
    I had a puddle of gear oil on my garage floor caused by over tightening. I over tightened them because I used some off Amazon (big mistake) that loosened up and I got water in my lower unit. I went back to the Yamaha seals and torque them 45 degrees after contact and haven’t had a problem. I still check them frequently tho…. My local dealer sells the Sierras and says that’s what they use.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    I started using the ones from sierra after they changed them. I'm not normally one for aftermarket but they are way better than the new black ones from Yamaha.
    Nice tip Brian, once I use up my supply of the old ones I will switch to the Sierra. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Where can I purchase this sierra you speak of ??

12. Member
    Sierra part# 18-0826. Can get from lots of different places.