Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In the market for tournament boat 40k budget...... must be four stroke

I sold my old triton, and I’m in the market for another boat. I’m wanting this boat for tournament fishing. Bass to be specific. I have a 40k dollar MAXIMUM budget. I’m debating whether or not to get an older 21 foot boat in that price range, or getting a 19-20 foot boat that’s smaller, yet newer in that price range. It looks like I can pick up some pretty sweet looking 19 foot rigs in my price range, but I don’t want to end up hating it because it’s too small. Speed, is not that important to me anymore. If I can run anywhere in the 60s tournament loaded I’m happy. The only thing that is a must, on my must haves, is the motor must be a four stroke. I will not consider a two stroke even for a second. And go!
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

2. Member
    I would find what brand/brands you're interested in and then maybe go to a dealer to walk around the new models of the 19-20' range to see how they feel. Granted these will be brand new boats, they'll be very similar in space and will help you get an idea. IIRC the TR21 had a pretty big front deck. Maybe bring a few rods and lay them down to help get a feel for "fishing space" as well. I run a phoenix 721, so it's an inch short of a 21' boat, but it's a touch narrower than some of the other models in the front deck area. I know I've stepped into a 19' or 20' nitro and the casting deck felt like an aircraft carrier which in turn made the boat feel bigger than it really was.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    I would find what brand/brands you're interested in and then maybe go to a dealer to walk around the new models of the 19-20' range to see how they feel. Granted these will be brand new boats, they'll be very similar in space and will help you get an idea. IIRC the TR21 had a pretty big front deck. Maybe bring a few rods and lay them down to help get a feel for "fishing space" as well. I run a phoenix 721, so it's an inch short of a 21' boat, but it's a touch narrower than some of the other models in the front deck area. I know I've stepped into a 19' or 20' nitro and the casting deck felt like an aircraft carrier which in turn made the boat feel bigger than it really was.

Excellent suggestion. Honestly my Tr21 had a very small front deck compared to other 21 foot boats. My friends with 21 foot boats always called my boat the canoe. Lol. I’m going to grab my 7’11” rods and take them to the steslership this weekend.

4. Member
    Talk to John Webb at MarineWorks in Kentucky.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

The Phoenix 819/919 boats have the same front deck as the 920 and at a fraction of the cost. An 819 with a 200 ProXS seems like the best bang for the buck.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    The Phoenix 819/919 boats have the same front deck as the 920 and at a fraction of the cost. An 819 with a 200 ProXS seems like the best bang for the buck.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve always been impressed with Phoenix boats. This might be a great option.

7. Member
    Not too many 19-20 ft boats out there in that price range, I'm in the same position as you, 06 triton 196 that has absolutly nothing wrong with it, just want an upgrade. Anything with a 4 stroke except for a yamaha will have to be 2019 or newer, most are over 40k. Without a 4 stroke they may be available but the prices on even used boats is nuts. Find a 919 phoenix 2019 with a 225 4 stroke , 2 powerpoles and decent electronics for 40k , and I will buy it!!!! Just not many out there.

Merc four strokes started showing up on late model 2018s. Mainly 2019s. So if your looking at older boats you will be looking for yamaha's most likely.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    If that is your budget I would be checking out the Aluminum options. Honestly for the money they are hard to beat. A used Vexus Aluminum or Crestliner should be well within your price range.
    2020 Caymas CX20

10. Member
    That will be a tough one to fill. Most used are going in the 48k+ range.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandone View Post
    Not too many 19-20 ft boats out there in that price range, I'm in the same position as you, 06 triton 196 that has absolutly nothing wrong with it, just want an upgrade. Anything with a 4 stroke except for a yamaha will have to be 2019 or newer, most are over 40k. Without a 4 stroke they may be available but the prices on even used boats is nuts. Find a 919 phoenix 2019 with a 225 4 stroke , 2 powerpoles and decent electronics for 40k , and I will buy it!!!! Just not many out there.
    Skeeter started putting Yamaha 4strokes on their boats in 2011. Found several boats in the high 30s that fit my budget. I’ll probably go this route.

12. Member
    14 Skeeter FX21
    14 250 Yamaha
    SHO
    Listed 11/11/21P
    Dual console, MK Ultrex 112# 1 year old, 4 agm batteries 1 year old, 2 HDS 9 Gen2's, cover. Motor has 248 hours.
    Call Andrew: 270-625-5007 or email for more details.
    A Arnold - KY
    Kuttawa, KY
    $39,995.

13. Member
    Skeeter will give you the most options at various price points in the used market with your conditions. No other manufacturer will come close. You might find a straggler with a Yamaha or an old Verado but it’s slim pickings.

14. Member
    Not trying to discourage your choice but just make sure you are prepared to replace a power head on a sho if it doesn't have warranty. It's not cheap and I wouldn't want anybody to spend 40k on a boat and then not be able to use it if the can't afford to fix a power head.

15. Member
    Why would you limit yourself to a 4 stroke? I would rather have a 2 stroke.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Talk to John Webb at MarineWorks in Kentucky.
    Please be careful if you do. That's all i'd better say about that.

17. Member
    40K budget in a 4S is going to limit your options….but most of todays 18 & 19 footers will have/ seem to have more deck space than your TR21. A TRX18 is 18’9” and you can probably find one with a 200 4S for close to 40K if you are willing to travel.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Wandering the same thing. I love my 250 pro xs.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Not trying to discourage your choice but just make sure you are prepared to replace a power head on a sho if it doesn't have warranty. It's not cheap and I wouldn't want anybody to spend 40k on a boat and then not be able to use it if the can't afford to fix a power head.
    My understanding is, that the four stroke engines are less likely to fail. I don’t want to replace a power head period. But I guess anything can fail. What’s a power head cost on a sho?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Im just tired of buying oil. I can burn through 10 gallons in a month no problem. Plus I just see far too many 2 stroke power head failures. I just want to fish, and don’t want to feel anxious about the motor all the time. I’ve been into 2 strokes my whole life. They’re awesome when they run, but one little problem and there goes the motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast