Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-doing dash and gauges

I'm re-doing the dash, gauges and ignition switch panel. It's a new to me Triton 21X HP, I've been going through it after buying it in August. It wasn't really a "project" but up to date I have done gauges, dash, switch plate, axle on the trailer, steering cylinder and rewired the battery box plus eliminated the am/ fm radio plus speakers and some other misc stuff.

Half the gauges didn't work, I can be particular at times, plus RPM and water pressure I need to know to finalize the prop. I had picked out the Faria platinum gauges, but wanted a GPS based speedometer, and the one in that set only went to 55 or 60 mph. I couldn't find a speedo that came close enough to matching. Autometer Marine silver worked to get what I wanted in the speedometer and had everything else to match.

A bit of wiring left to do after making the plates out of aluminum but seems easy enough. Gauges are just set in to test fit.

dash 1.jpgdash 3.jpgdash 2.jpg

2. Member
    Nice work!

3. Member
    That dash is gonna look good!

4. Member

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Member
    Thanks for the kind words men. Wiring starts tomorrow now that the holidays are behind me. I think I have the wiring figured out, it was a bit overwhelming at first, but I have made sense of it all taking my time testing stuff with the volt meter.

6. Member
    I have the dash all wrapped up, bonus, everything seems to work.

AM2.jpgAM4.jpgAM5.jpg
    Last edited by XXXLTRP; 12-27-2021 at 10:27 PM.

7. Member
    The GPS speedometer has its own antennae, final product, plus two with the back lighting on in the shop with the lights out.

Pictures not working, I'll try again.
    Last edited by XXXLTRP; 12-28-2021 at 05:20 PM.

8. Member
    Xxxltrp, wanna do mine next?

9. Member

10. Member
    I also needed to mount the floor switches for the Power Poles. I'm going to re -do the bow graph and trolling motor in a few months and plan to add the foot switches then, so as not to put extra holes in the boat twice. I used the front seat pedestal and the extra seat hole ..and it worked out great. It's easily removed if needed, it's all SS, aluminum or bronze. May not be to everyones liking, I may not like it after trying it, but it was nothing but my time to try it. It's a smaller foot print than the seat and out of the way. Trying it Friday.
    Last edited by XXXLTRP; 12-29-2021 at 06:06 AM.

11. Member

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04_triton View Post
    Xxxltrp, wanna do mine next?
    Pa is a bit of a drive from Va

13. Member
    Nice fabrication work.

Was that the original dash plate, or did you make that? If you made it, what type of plate is that? I've been thinking of reconfiguring mine to make more room for a graph.

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

If you have a Mercury motor, you should look into installing a Vessel View Link so that you get engine data from the motor's PCM displayed on the Lowrance. Temperature is an important one to keep that Triton moving. You have spent a lot of time and money on the hull now give the motor a little attention. Everything looks spectacular and you have incredible craftsmanship!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    @TR196

Thanks. I made the plates. It's just aluminum plate, 5/16 or 1/4, I salvaged from a vehicle drawer storage system. I used the old plastic ones as a template. Rough cut it on the band saw and jigsaw, cleaned it up with a vertical belt sander. Pretty easy to work with. I wet sanded it with 180 grit all in one direction to get the grain/ machined look and texture. The hardest part, hole saw for the gauge holes. The Milwaukee ones were the answer, carbide tipped, easy work after clamping it to a board and using the drill press. I wasted some material trying to do it off the drill press and less than spectacular hole saws.
    Last edited by XXXLTRP; 01-23-2022 at 03:40 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    If you have a Mercury motor, you should look into installing a Vessel View Link so that you get engine data from the motor's PCM displayed on the Lowrance. Temperature is an important one to keep that Triton moving. You have spent a lot of time and money on the hull now give the motor a little attention. Everything looks spectacular and you have incredible craftsmanship!
    Thank you for the compliment.

I do have a Mercury, 250 XS Pro. Vessel view/ engine data is on the list..I'm plugging away one project at a time. I just updated the charger after a bank failed on the original. Trolling motor, bow graph, lithiums are also on the list. Then it will be "done".

17. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Nice work indeed

18. Member
    Looks awesome!
    07 Triton Tr186, 150 Optimax

19. Member
    Looks good, nice job.

20. Member
    What year model is this? Sorry if I have overlooked it.
    2008 Triton Tr 21 x HP
    2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS 1B808607

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast