Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    What is the money used for?

I don't see the tax revenue off this amounting to much. They could probably collect more revenue by increasing license fees $1, without it making news.

Kentucky's seniors' sportsman's license fees doubled from $6 to $12, and a resident fishing license is now $23, which is higher than most other states, even Illinois @ $15.

3. Banned
    I hate taxes as much as anybody. But, I don't see what the big deal is. The TX director/organizer is just going to have to add the tax to the entry fee . ($200 entry fee + $20 state tax = $220 total.) No different than a retailer adding on a state sales tax when a customer makes a purchase.

The issue I see for Tx organizers is that they now will become a "fiduciary" or tax collecting agent for the state. With that will come the legal responsibility/ duties of reporting,collecting and submitting tax funds and forms to the state(as state law requires ) Be prepared for a bunch of additional paperwork, filings and personal penalties/liabilities handling "state" tax funds.

You folks in IL have my sympathy.

As far as the suggestions to evade the law, every bass tourney out there has, usually as the number 1 rule. that all regulations must be obeyed. I agree that this money grab sucks, but no tournament should ever have anything to do with evading the law.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    I don't see the tax revenue off this amounting to much. They could probably collect more revenue by increasing license fees $1, without it making news.

Kentucky's seniors' sportsman's license fees doubled from $6 to $12, and a resident fishing license is now $23, which is higher than most other states, even Illinois @ $15.

Looks like about 63k a year for Just a trail like anglers' choice just doing some guess numbers....
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Everyone wants a piece of the pie.
    not everyone everywhere. I don’t see these things in AL or TN

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    While the cut seems excessive, private entities are using public resources to support a for profit activity. They should pay something for that use. When the PGA holds a tournament on the Bethpage Black golf course do they pay a fee or just think that they can get by with the players putting up the daily green fees?
    Thank you for the expected response.

8. Member
    just look at who is elected to the governors spot?? and who runs the big cities? tells it all
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

They could raise $667,750 by raising the cost of a license by $1, with no added cost or hassle in collecting it. Maybe the voices of the pleasure fishermen are louder than the voice of the tournament fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Looks like about 63k a year for Just a trail like anglers' choice just doing some guess numbers....

While the cut seems excessive, private entities are using public resources to support a for profit activity. They should pay something for that use. When the PGA holds a tournament on the Bethpage Black golf course do they pay a fee or just think that they can get by with the players putting up the daily green fees?

That is the most ridiculous comparison. First of all, they DO pay for something they use, its called an annual license to fish. That license to fish, plus whatever local taxpayers are paying to maintain their facilities on local lakes is already accounted for. Second of all, when the PGA comes to town, there is millions of dollars ingested in to the local economy and most important CHARITIES receive huge amounts of money as a result. The PGA also dumps alot of money into the course it plays on, such as fertilization, course equipment, etc etc., not to count the untold money that is not publicized that goes into where they are playing

That has to be the dumbest statement in 2021.
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    So use the license to go fishing no problem that’s what it entitles one to do.

However if you want to bring in vendors displaying and selling products while conducting a private business in the form of a Bass Tournament for profit that is most likely outside the parameters of what your fishing license buys you.

The Street Performers in Chicago have to buy a license to perform on the sidewalks and at the CTA Stops as they are collecting tips for their own personal profit.

It’s all just part of the cost of doing business in Illinois.

A fair point but when tournament anglers occupy all the parking places there is a similar impact. DNR’s are historically under funded, I don’t blame them for looking for revenue.

If those anglers are state tax payers plus have a valid fishing license do they not have a right to those parking spots same as any other tax payer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post

However if you want to bring in vendors displaying and selling products while conducting a private business in the form of a Bass Tournament for profit that is most likely outside the parameters of what your fishing license buys you.

The Street Performers in Chicago have to buy a license to perform on the sidewalks and at the CTA Stops as they are collecting tips for their own personal profit.

We don't bring in anyone or anything at our weigh ins except the fish. The law was made for people who are utilizing the ramps for vendor sales. The IDNR had originally said back when this was created that Tournaments would be exempt. However they have now reversed course after a dozen years of not charging tourneys and have now included tourneys. This is nothing more than a money grab. Just like 2 years ago when our trailer plates went from 18.00 a year to 118.00 a year. That was rescinded this year back to 36.00 a year so hopefully this new law will be changed also.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota 112 Ultrex Link
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12 and Elite Ti 9
    Dual PP Pro Series II
    Atlas Hydraulic JP

14. Member
    Illinois is surviving on imagination. I don’t know how it still has a working government.. the government employees pension debt consumes something like 45 percent of the state budget. I don’t even know how that state has any fish and game commission. How do you fix potholes when almost half your tax dollars go only to pensions... Just last week the Wall Street journal wrote that each household in Illinois is on the hook for 110 thousand dollars in government pension debt alone while neighboring Wisconsin is only 3200.. Illinois is only one of three states that is losing population which is certainly due to extremely high taxes. It’s only going to get worse and not better....

15. Member
    That sux. But why would it be a burden to the anglers. It’s just a smaller payout.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post

I understand your point, but you are misapplying in this case. If your club is having a tournament, you must apply for a permit that cost $25. If your club gives out cash prizes, then 10% of all money collected must be "donated" to the state in the form of a fee. If you collect money at the ramp for said tournament, then you must obtain a vendor's license to do so. I assume there is an extra fee in applying for and receiving such a license.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

17. Member
    A fair point but when tournament anglers occupy all the parking places there is a similar impact. DNR’s are historically under funded, I don’t blame them for looking for revenue.
    Yeah...I don't really see a problem with it.

18. Member
    Well than don't give cash prizes give trophies. Saw a leg or fin off the trophy and send it to your DNR with the $25.00.

19. Member
    The state owned and maintained ramp and facilities are being used as a temporary place of business for tournament organizations that are making money. Right or wrong the state wants their cut.

Would it apply to simple club tournaments where all of the fees are paid out? When I ran a small trail here in NC, I kept nothing. If We took in $300 in fees that morning, the winner took home $300.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast