Compression test #'s ?

I am looking at a new to me triton with a 150 optimax and the boat yard took a compression test and posted the numbers . I just sold my 1995 merc xri 200hp that had 130psi in all 6 cylinders with 385hrs
    Should I be concerned with a way newer boat with lower #'s
    Screenshot_20211219-093237_Chrome.jpg

2. Member
    Very unlikely all 6 would be exactly the same,even if it was new.Those numbers would be acceptable but I would question their validity.I personally would perform
    my own test using the procedure mentioned in this forum.

3. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^

The correct procedure for conducting a compression test can be found in the FAQ at top of this forum, if the boat yard didn't follow those steps, I would not trust the results, especially with all readings exactly the same. From my 2.5L service manual which covers the engine your considering, compression test values should be 90 - 110psi.

Compression Testing
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    ^^^^^^^+2 ^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^^+3^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Welcome back Joe!

7. Member
    thanks
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Welcome back Joe!
    +100!!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Welcome back Joe!
    +10,988!!!!

Missed you, bud!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I’d be willing to bet the guy just rounded the results. I wouldn’t do it that way, but 115 + or - 2 is all 115 to me.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

11. Member
    Thank you for all the replies
    Please help me understand
    So the reason my 1995 200 had higher test numbers is because it had a higher compression ratio
    I know in the car world high compression motors require higher octane fuel so would the optimax still need the highest octane fuel

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86cj7 View Post
    Thank you for all the replies
    Please help me understand
    So the reason my 1995 200 had higher test numbers is because it had a higher compression ratio
    I know in the car world high compression motors require higher octane fuel so would the optimax still need the highest octane fuel
    A 150 Optimax would run/require 87 octane fuel. No need (or benefit) to running higher octane, as a matter of fact, just the opposite is true.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    A 150 Optimax would run/require 87 octane fuel. No need (or benefit) to running higher octane, as a matter of fact, just the opposite is true.
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax