Carpet pad install

I am going to add pad to my Phoenix. How close to the edge of the hull and lids should I take the padding?

2. Member
    On the lids I went all the way to the edge but I trimmed it at a 45 degree angle. I actually trimmed every edge to a 45 so the carpet would round over the edges. You will want at least a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch around the outer edges of the bow to give room for the carpet to lay down and stick with the glue to the base. I also trimmed these edges to make it easier for the carpet to lay and adhere to the base.

3. Member
    How did you 45 the edge?

4. Member
    The easiest way is to use a box cutter and heat the blade with a torch. It will cut the pad clean and not tear it. Just have a bottle of water near just in case. I did not have any any issues with it catching on fire, but always better to be safe.

5. Member
    I used a very sharp pair of industrial scissors that I kept sharpened. Worked well for me.

6. Member
    They best way to cut the padding is with an electric knife. Cuts it perfect with no torn edges. Be sure to cut it at a 45 degree angle where and lid will hinge into the front deck.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

7. Member
    45 at the hinge, that's the only place I do it. You really don't have to do it any other place, you will have a nice fit if the rest of the lids and deck are at a 90, no big ass gaps. The edge of the boat, rear deck, front deck, I keep it a good inch away, you want the carpet to go back in it's original spot on the trim. Some trim like a skeeter or some tritanic's the trim opened up to hold the carpet. On and Old Champion the carpet goes under the aluminum trim.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

8. Member
    K. So quick question. I am wanting to pad my deck and I have been searching around little bit. I cannot find a pad that what I would consider marine grade. What padding are you guys using. Here is the fun part. I am already well on my way on this. Nothing like being ill prepared.

9. Member
    Bassboatseats.com

10. Member
    Pro-Tech Padding. They sell closed cell padding for boats. That’s what I used.

11. Member
    Basscat has a new pad they use now and I just put it on a guys p3. It’s really good and easy to use. It comes 4ft wide and you order how long you want. I got a 4x6’ and it was 45 bucks.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time