Sam Rayburn End of March

My buddy and I do a spring trip every year and this year were thinking of doing Sam Rayburn. Those of you familiar with Rayburn were looking for some advice.

Is the end of March a good time?
    Recommendations on lodging?
    Good restaurants in the area?
    Any other information you want to share is appreciated, neither of us have been there.

Thank you in advance.

I haven't fished Rayburn but once, and that was last month, so I'm not an expert (although my son-in-law and I placed 3rd in a club tournament out of 22 boats). Spring on Rayburn is supposed to be excellent. We stayed at the Rayburn Inn near the dam, and it was built for the bass fishermen. Clean place, and reserved boat and trailer parking right outside of your room for 1st floor rooms, plenty of outside electricity, parking lot lighting, etc. There are a few restaurants within a couple of blocks that are decent, and very close to several good boat ramps. We had 2 limits in 2 days on 7" and 10" in Red Bug, largest was 4 1/2 lbs. One of the guys caught a 10 1/2, and another had a 9.

3. Member
    Rayburn inn and every thing is right there you need, watch the wind.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    My buddy and I do a spring trip every year and this year were thinking of doing Sam Rayburn. Those of you familiar with Rayburn were looking for some advice.

Is the end of March a good time?
    Recommendations on lodging?
    Good restaurants in the area?
    Any other information you want to share is appreciated, neither of us have been there.

Thank you in advance.
    Dave, let me know if you guys go. I'll be there Mar 19th thru April 3rd. Steve
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    Dave, let me know if you guys go. I'll be there Mar 19th thru April 3rd. Steve
    Hi Steve, I will definitely let you know. Sounds like we are thinking the 21st -30th. I will keep you posted.

6. Member
    Hi Steve, I will definitely let you know. Sounds like we are thinking the 21st -30th. I will keep you posted.
    Very cool
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

Should be a good time, if this winter stays warm that timeframe will be post spawn.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    This year, expect the few areas with grass to be extra crowded which if you haven't ever seen rayburn in March, wow. Be prepared for a boat to be in every pocket or one to have just left. It's just the way it is but people still catch fish. The weather could be anything so be prepared for that and be prepared to launch somewhere due to the wind. People here can help with that but unless you can really handle a boat I would keep an eye on the wind forecast and double what they forecast. That may sound negative but it can be fun

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    This year, expect the few areas with grass to be extra crowded which if you haven't ever seen rayburn in March, wow. Be prepared for a boat to be in every pocket or one to have just left. It's just the way it is but people still catch fish. The weather could be anything so be prepared for that and be prepared to launch somewhere due to the wind. People here can help with that but unless you can really handle a boat I would keep an eye on the wind forecast and double what they forecast. That may sound negative but it can be fun
    Keith, is the lake covered up with anglers even during the week?
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    I don't know about early spring, but in October I make the trip and all through the week there is a lot of boats. I fished this year out of Ayish Bayou and Caney Creek and saw plenty of boats all week. Fishable, but with my limited knowledge of the lake, I had to fish new water. Had a good week with my wife, 225 bass over about 30 hours of fishing for 5 days.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite
    Mercury 250 ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jotahech371 View Post
    I don't know about early spring, but in October I make the trip and all through the week there is a lot of boats. I fished this year out of Ayish Bayou and Caney Creek and saw plenty of boats all week. Fishable, but with my limited knowledge of the lake, I had to fish new water. Had a good week with my wife, 225 bass over about 30 hours of fishing for 5 days.
    At least the fishing was good.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    Yes the lake is stupid no matter when you go especially that time of year
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

13. Member
    Yes. During that time of year it's busy every day. Heck, lately it's been busy almost all year long. If you just want to come experience the lake, don't let it stop you.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Yes. During that time of year it's busy every day. Heck, lately it's been busy almost all year long. If you just want to come experience the lake, don't let it stop you.
    Well the upside is I won't have to wait to long for someone to come by me after I trash my L/U on a stump :)
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

15. Member
    Don't jinx us Steve

16. Member
    Don't jinx us Steve
    Ah heck, just a little humor....
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

17. Member
    Well the upside is I won't have to wait to long for someone to come by me after I trash my L/U on a stump :)
    Lol. Always a positive side

18. Member
    It will be very crowded at all times but 11 pm to 3 am from now until May. Lol

I’d go to Ivie and Hubbard Creek…
    Last edited by ToledoBendChamp; 01-06-2022 at 08:22 AM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoBendChamp View Post
    It will be very crowded at all times but 11 pm to 3 am from now until May. Lol

I’d go to Ivie and Hubbard Creek…
    Rub rail to rub rail here now, parking lots are full at Ivie. Folks need to go back to work.