Who’s ran the Bravo 1 XS on z521C?

My fury 4 slung a blade…so I’ve joined that club. The fury was 24 pitch.

Just wondering how those that have or are running a Bravo XS like the prop…also what pitch did you go with. Performance?

2016 Z521c Merc 250 Optimax.

Thanks.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I know that some Ranger owners are satisfied with the Bravo, but I ran a Bravo 1XS 25.5 on a Z520C and did not like it on top end. On hole shot and mid-range I liked it a ton, but it would not lift the bow sufficiently to get much over 60 mph. This on a boat that would easily top 70 mph with a Fury 3. I sold the Bravo, which was new, and instead went to a Croxton Razor 4XL in 24 pitch. The bigger blades on the Razor 4XL gave me enough bow lift on the Z520 to achieve 69 mph and still have superior low and mid-range. The Z520 and Z521 are not the same, but in some configurations perform very similarly for prop selection. My 2 cents. [Note: with the Great Lakes fishing that I do, interspersed with some extremely shallow inland lakes, a 4-blade prop was desirable.] — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I was running a 24P fury 4, on my Z520C, during the summer, and switched to a 25P Bravo 1 XS. The 25P Bravo 1 XS was originally a 26P that was worked at some point in its life. Both of those props run about 5850 rpm on my Opti. Again, that is in the Texas summer heat. I have a 26P Bravo 1 XS that I run during the winter months.

Oh, I ran 72 mph +/- with the Fury 4, where I run 68 mph +/- with the Bravo 1 XS.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

Dean, We have 5 members in our bass club than run Z520 or Z521 boats all with Mercury's. All started with a 25 Fury including myself. After Roger Roses review of the Bravo XS I wanted one. Meet Scott from Mercury at the Houston Boat show. We talked about the prop and I told him of the results that Roger got. He confirmed Roger's results. He asked what dealership to send the prop too. I told him Bowden. I switched in January 2020 to a 4 stoke ProXS. I used my 25.5 pitch to break in the new motor. I still have that prop and use it as a spare. After making the switched I was not able to get the RPM into that 6200-6300 range with the 25.5. William ordered me a 23.5 pitch. Got the rpms at 6200. I have let several guys try the 25.5 and got William to order them a Bravo XS. I say the Bravo XS woke up my hull compared to the Fury or Tempest.

Cliff Bradford
    2014 Ranger Z520C Mercury 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by basstx View Post
    Dean, We have 5 members in our bass club than run Z520 or Z521 boats all with Mercury's. All started with a 25 Fury including myself. After Roger Roses review of the Bravo XS I wanted one. Meet Scott from Mercury at the Houston Boat show. We talked about the prop and I told him of the results that Roger got. He confirmed Roger's results. He asked what dealership to send the prop too. I told him Bowden. I switched in January 2020 to a 4 stoke ProXS. I used my 25.5 pitch to break in the new motor. I still have that prop and use it as a spare. After making the switched I was not able to get the RPM into that 6200-6300 range with the 25.5. William ordered me a 23.5 pitch. Got the rpms at 6200. I have let several guys try the 25.5 and got William to order them a Bravo XS. I say the Bravo XS woke up my hull compared to the Fury or Tempest.
    Thank you sir! Great info…I’m thinking maybe a 24 Bravo for my rig.

6. Member
    So we know that same props don't always perform the same way on same brand and model boats. I too am interested in the Bravo I XS for my 2015 Ranger Z521C. I'm typically running at 1300 ft elevation using a 3 blade Tempest prop. I manage about 68 mph but only getting 5680 RPM with 1/2 tank of fuel by myself. I tried a 26 P Bravo which seemed to have a good hole shot but only got 65 mph at 5380 RPM. I like the idea of the 4 blade in the bigger water I travel on. I realize that my top end might not be as good. I had a local prop guy recommend a 25 p Bravo. Now I see they have the 25.5 p model. Any suggestions or analysis here..thanks.

7. Member
    I run a 26 Bravo on a 2014 521c with a Verado, excellent prop.

8. Member
    I ran a Bravo 1XS on 521L with 250 Opti, a little heavier than your C boat and a few inches longer. Was not happy, could not get the RPM that I had with my Fury 4 24, even though Merc racing said I would. I tried a Bravo 1 XS 23, still low on RPM, and top speed dropped by 5 mph. Gave up on Bravo's and went to Tempest Plus, faster, good RPM and great hole shot and especially, got the bow lift I needed after Mark added some trailing edge cup. I run a 23 in cooler weather and 21 in summer, to keep rpm and top speed about same. Every setup is different, and expensive to figure it all out. I've tried them all, Bravo XS, LT, FS, Fury 3 and 4 in various pitches and settled now on Tempest Plus. Rangers are a pain to get lift with that hull design, so it is all on the prop and motor height setup.
    Mike Stephens
    Ranger Z521L (2018) Icon Edition
    Mercury Pro XS 250 with fat shaft, S/N2B528327
    Lowrance Carbon 16 and 12, Lowrance Active Target
    36V Minn Kota Ultrex
    Worked Tempest Plus 21 and 23 props

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I know that some Ranger owners are satisfied with the Bravo, but I ran a Bravo 1XS 25.5 on a Z520C and did not like it on top end. On hole shot and mid-range I liked it a ton, but it would not lift the bow sufficiently to get much over 60 mph. This on a boat that would easily top 70 mph with a Fury 3. I sold the Bravo, which was new, and instead went to a Croxton Razor 4XL in 24 pitch. The bigger blades on the Razor 4XL gave me enough bow lift on the Z520 to achieve 69 mph and still have superior low and mid-range. The Z520 and Z521 are not the same, but in some configurations perform very similarly for prop selection. My 2 cents. [Note: with the Great Lakes fishing that I do, interspersed with some extremely shallow inland lakes, a 4-blade prop was desirable.] — JC
    Sounds like the Bravo need more cup to the tips.
    I would have send it to Mark to have some added.
    Never ran Mark's prop.
    Heard they are stiff than the bravo. He made them to compare to a bravo?
    He worked the bravo ,to work on bass boats for year's . Before Mercury start making them for bass boat.
    The go fast boat 's been running them for year's. And send them to him to tweak for there boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    I ran a Bravo 1XS on 521L with 250 Opti, a little heavier than your C boat and a few inches longer. Was not happy, could not get the RPM that I had with my Fury 4 24, even though Merc racing said I would. I tried a Bravo 1 XS 23, still low on RPM, and top speed dropped by 5 mph. Gave up on Bravo's and went to Tempest Plus, faster, good RPM and great hole shot and especially, got the bow lift I needed after Mark added some trailing edge cup. I run a 23 in cooler weather and 21 in summer, to keep rpm and top speed about same. Every setup is different, and expensive to figure it all out. I've tried them all, Bravo XS, LT, FS, Fury 3 and 4 in various pitches and settled now on Tempest Plus. Rangers are a pain to get lift with that hull design, so it is all on the prop and motor height setup.
    Thanks Mike…what speed and rpm are you getting with the 23?

11. Member
    Thanks for that. Good assessment comparison. Sounds like that 26 Bravo runs close to the same on mine as yours.

12. Member
    Dean, I replied to your PM too, but here's the Fury 4 (24p) and Bravo 1 XS (25.5p) side by side, not a big difference. I could get more speed out of 24p Fury 4 (this is with dual Talons):

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

Thanks Chris