Thread: Gas tank leak

Gas tank leak

2007 175TXW

My gas tank must have a leak. I don't see any wet fuel but when you open the hatch over the tank the smell is really strong. I pressurized the tank and put soapy water on all the fittings on top. No bubbles showed up so I cut the carpet and took out the cross member. I still don't see any wet fuel but the smell is overwhelming. My next step is to drain the tank and pull it out. Will it come out with the livewell in? Is there anything else I should check before pulling it? I think I'd like to go with a smaller tank. Is there one that I could get that would allow me to use the same cut out for the fill port?

UPDATE:The tank seems to be holding pressure. I'm not sure how many PSI I have on the tank but it's bulging out on the top a bit and stays that way. I'll leave it for a couple of days and see if it holds.

Pressure washed the tank and everything in that compartment. The hull and the tank were both really dirty. Covered in a black and looked like a greasy old tractor. I put a bunch of water in the hull and a good amount of dawn then took it for a drive, then drained it when I got home. I wonder if once upon a time there was a leak, and the fuel got it the hull. Do you think you'd smell it after a year? The boats always smelled like gas in that compartment and there is (was) some white sealer on the outlet fitting. Looked like somebody may have fixed (or tried to fix) a leak there once but like I said there's no bubbles in the dawn water there.

I'm wondering that after all this cleaning the smell might go away. That's going to be a few days to test due to it being soaking wet. I'll give it a day or so to dry and put it back in the garage to see. Right now it's hanging over the hill draining. I hope it's fixed. It needed new carpet anyway.

I'm going to remove the fitting and the hose where it goes through the aluminum to feed the engine and get it out where I can see the bottom of that fitting. It could be leaking there but it's not wet and like I said it's holding pressure.

NEWEST UPDATE: took the tank out. It was really dirty. almost greasy on the sides I couldn't get to before. Pressure washed and covered in water/dawn mix. Added about 10 PSI shop air. No leaks found. Pressure washed hull. Again it was really greasy. Cleaned all with dawn. I'm at a loss. All I can do now is wait for it to dry out and put it back together. I'm going to change all the fuel lines while I'm there. I'm kind of glad the tank isn't leaking but I never found the source of the smell unless it was all the greasy stuff. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by tngw1500se; 12-18-2021 at 02:13 PM.

2. Member
    My 2020 175TXW had a gassy smell in the battery/fuel tank compartment and I do not think I have a leak as if I fill it up (I usually only fill it to 1/2 tank unless I am going on a 3-4 day fishing trip) but don't use it for 3-4 weeks, it is still at 1/2 tank when i do go out again. I guess the smell could be from venting or something. After reading your post, I did go out and took a look around the tank area with a good flashlight and I don't see a bunch of greasy carbon or anything. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if you found anything out.
    I do need to ask if you fill your tank up - if it is full and you drive, fuel can come out the vent.. can do the same when it is hot out.
    Last edited by MikeCSr; 12-18-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: trying to make good english

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    My 2020 175TXW had a gassy smell in the battery/fuel tank compartment and I do not think I have a leak as if I fill it up (I usually only fill it to 1/2 tank unless I am going on a 3-4 day fishing trip) but don't use it for 3-4 weeks, it is still at 1/2 tank when i do go out again. I guess the smell could be from venting or something. After reading your post, I did go out and took a look around the tank area with a good flashlight and I don't see a bunch of greasy carbon or anything. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if you found anything out.
    I do need to ask if you fill your tank up - if it is full and you drive, fuel can come out the vent.. can do the same when it is hot out.
    The boat is kind of new to me (one year) and I don't really know the history but since I've owned it, its always smelled in there. Smelled so bad I don't want it in my enclosed garage. I don't think I've ever filled it completely up but once on a really steep hill, fuel came out the cap vent.

I do questions if I may?

Does your cap have a vent that you can close? Mine has (had) a little knob on top but it wouldn't move. It was vented there and I could blow through it. I twisted it off, then drilled it out in order to attach a hose to pressure test the tank. I just tossed the tank back in about an hour ago but I still have a bunch of work, relocating batteries and chargers. I have a new cap ordered and I hope it has a vent I can close off.

If you have a closable vent, do you only open it on the lake? I'm thinking that would be the way to go and only open it on the water.

I don't feel like I wasted my time (not finding a leak). It was a mess under there. Now it's all clean and I am going to install 3 batteries. I may just patch up the carpet. The only piece I took off (so far) is the one over the cross member. The way I fish I trash carpet. I thought about taking it all off, cleaning the aluminum, then painting it with some sort of bed liner.

4. Member
    My cap does not have a manual vent - it is pretty much the cap like you have on an automobile that I ensure I close it until I hear 3 clicks
    The main time that I did smell fuel was when my buddy and I took my boat to a lake a few hours south of us for a long weekend camp/fishing trip and I filled it up completely. While I was away, the Lithium battery that I ordered to replace the stock Interstate lead acid battery for my TM came in so I pulled all the batteries and when I was doing that was when I really smelled fuel. I contributed it to the full tank, some rough water while fishing and the 4 hour drive in which there were some back country roads that were kind of rough.

5. Member
    I think there's a difference between the newer boats and mine. I think mine needs a manual vented cap.

6. Member
    All back together. Fuel smell is gone. I think it was all the black crud that smelled. Now it's all clean and the wiring is nice and neat. I just patched the carpet with some scrap I had leftover from my van build. It covers the cross member and doesn't look bad.

NOTE: You have to remove the cross member to get the tank out.

Installing a third battery so the trolling motor will have two. Waiting on UPS for that. Installed all new hoses and clamps. Ordered new sending unit gasket as well. Got a new manually vented gas cap too.

Gas cap link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1