NFC blank recommendations

I’m having 2 X-ray blanks built SJ736 and SJ725
    What other Casting blanks can anyone recommend 7”3 or under length
    X-Ray or other NFC model blanks for bottom contact?
    Thanks and Tight Lines!
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    for a slightly lighter action than the SJ736 which is a heavy action you may try the MB736 its a med heavy i have built several of these rods for myself and others all perform well. i really like the lighter action for drop shot, drag tubes, neko rig, weightless senko, lighter jigs, and light texas rig.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    for a slightly lighter action than the SJ736 which is a heavy action you may try the MB736 its a med heavy i have built several of these rods for myself and others all perform well. i really like the lighter action for drop shot, drag tubes, neko rig, weightless senko, lighter jigs, and light texas rig.
    Appreciate it thank you
    I have a freind who has the MB736 it’s more of a bait finesse blank. I generally use spinning for that type of fishing.
    Im looking for more of a traditional weight casting blanks.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

4. Member
    The SJ736 might be rated as a heavy, but it definitely doesn’t fish like one. Imo it’s a true MH rod with a great tip perfect for 1/4-1/2oz weights in light to moderate cover (which is all I fish). I also wouldn’t suggest using an XRay for excessively heavy cover/flipping mats, if you do, go with the MB series which is more parabolic and forgiving.

the MB736 is a lighter action and would be more like a MH-Mod/fast rod. Perfect for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Or if built as a spinning rod, wacky rigs, neko and heavy DS.

for bottom contact I’d stay with the SJ series,
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I agree ECobb91, the MB736 blanks I have built have all been spinning blanks except one which I cut down for someone to a 7'1" and its being used as a fluke twiching style rod. I do have several of the SJ736 in casting style but my favorite .....but its over 7'3" the OP is asking about is the SJ765 I really like this blank for bottom fishing and also what I call power shoting, I drop shot large mouth in the weeds with these rods all the time, it has the excellent feel of the X-ray blank and the power to set the hook and pull the fish out of the weeds. The SJ765 is the SJ725 with 4 more inches in length, I like the 7'6" for flipping pockets in the weeds with texas rigs, jigs and the drop shot.

6. Member
    Great info !
    Thank you
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

7. Member
    I agree ECobb91, the MB736 blanks I have built have all been spinning blanks except one which I cut down for someone to a 7'1" and its being used as a fluke twiching style rod. I do have several of the SJ736 in casting style but my favorite .....but its over 7'3" the OP is asking about is the SJ765 I really like this blank for bottom fishing and also what I call power shoting, I drop shot large mouth in the weeds with these rods all the time, it has the excellent feel of the X-ray blank and the power to set the hook and pull the fish out of the weeds. The SJ765 is the SJ725 with 4 more inches in length, I like the 7'6" for flipping pockets in the weeds with texas rigs, jigs and the drop shot.
    Do you think the sj765 has more power or just more length than the sj725 or sj736?
    Last edited by alanhore; 12-16-2021 at 09:03 PM.

8. Member
    The SJ765 and SJ725 have the same line rating, same lure rating and same tip size the butt size is .02 smaller on the SJ725 and the blank weight is .3 oz less than the SJ765 so in all aspects it seems like the SJ725 is the SJ765 with 4" cut off the butt which accounts for the smaller butt size and weight difference. So for me the length of the 7'6" vs the 7'2" give me more swing, when flipping and pitching. I like the extra length of the rod when setting the hook I feel the extra length and swing does give me more hook set power because it takes up the line slack and line stretch quicker.

I fish a lot of open water weed beds in 6 to 12 foot of water flipping into holes and pockets close to the boat I feel the longer rod lets me drop and lift baits quicker and more accurate in these conditions. I know its only 4"s but as you know in a rod 4" can make a big difference in performance in difference situations I like the feel and handling of the longer rods in this application. I generally use med / moderate action 7' to 7'3" on moving and top water, If I am fishing tight quarters like pitching docks or trees I go with a MH / fast action 7' or 7'3" which I feel give me more control or accuracy and allows me to keep my baits lower or closer to the water and if I am skipping its generally MH / fast action 6'6" or 6'9" .....these are just my preference, I am not say this is whats best for everyone but its what I feel works best for me.

9. Member
    Ever fished an Loomis IMX MB844? Try the NFC 709 HM.

10. Member
    I never have used this rod, I just looked up the 709 HM blank its called out as a Mag Heavy up to 2 oz yet the Loomis number I believe calls it a 4 power am I safe to assume that NFC has this blank over rated ? What is your typical use of this rod?

I never have used this rod, I just looked up the 709 HM blank its called out as a Mag Heavy up to 2 oz yet the Loomis number I believe calls it a 4 power am I safe to assume that NFC has this blank over rated ? What is your typical use of this rod?
    I have several 709hm and 809s... yes, I would call them very similar to a Loomis 844... no way I’d ever throw up to 2 ounces

12. Member
    I myself and many others have used the MBR844 on peacocks, we also have had no problems throwing MC Slammers, Punkers, etc., but to each their own. Like ths MBR783 it's one of their most versatile rods, in today's world that seems to be a bad thing, but it sure is comforting when you lose a rod and be able to replace it without losing a beat.

13. Member
    I have one rod built on an MB 709 IM blank, and I just received another MB 709 IM blank so I can build another rod on that blank. While not HM version, it has excellent sensitivity. I use and will be using both rods for flipping and pitching to heavy cover for largemouth bass. I absolutely love the rod I have built on it. Gobs of power, and while I wouldn't say it moves fish on a hook set as well as a fast action rod would, I have no problem getting good fish up and out of heavy cover. I love the deeper flex into the mid section of the blank when I have a big fish right by the boat. I don't feel like I have to rush the fish into the boat

I don't know that I would try throwing something weighing 2 oz on it, but it will throw 1 oz with no problem and still has plenty of hook setting power. Great great blank for flipping and pitching, and not bad as a Carolina rig rod as well.

The North Fork MB 664 HM, MB 665 HM, MB 704 HM, and MB 705 HM are great choice for casting Jigs, Senkos, Flukes, etc... (1/4 to 1/2 ounce lures). The North Fork MB 705 HM blank is very similar to a G Loomis MBR843 GLX Rod. The North Fork MB 664 HM is very similar to a G Loomis MBR 783 GLX rod. The last number in the model is the power rating. North Forks 4 and 5 are similar to G Loomis' 3 and 4 (Medium / Med Heavy). Once you go to 6 or above in a North Fork your are moving into what most would call heavy action rods. A 6 power would be good for heavy jigs, thicker vegetation, or lite duty frog rod. A 9 power would be a heavier duty Frogging rod or really heavy vegetation, heavy lure type rod.

The HMs and X-Rays or really nice high end blanks similar to G Loomis GLX and NRX blanks. The HM and X-Ray (Mirror Finish) are both sanded / polished smooth blanks and look similar. The term "Mirror Finish" on the X-Ray is misleading, it is not shiny but is actually more of a sanded satin look. The Regular X-Ray blanks are not sanded "polished", so they retain a ribbed finish.

If I could have "only one" rod for Jig and Worm fishing in 1/4 to 3/8 ounce lures (bottom type baits), it would be the MB 704 HM.

Hope that helps ~ Lenny B
    Last edited by LennyB; 01-01-2022 at 06:28 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    The North Fork MB 664 HM, MB 665 HM, MB 704 HM, and MB 705 HM are great choice for casting Jigs, Senkos, Flukes, etc... (1/4 to 1/2 ounce lures). The North Fork MB 705 HM blank is very similar to a G Loomis MBR843 GLX Rod. The North Fork MB 664 HM is very similar to a G Loomis MBR 783 GLX rod. The last number in the model is the power rating. North Forks 4 and 5 are similar to G Loomis' 3 and 4 (Medium / Med Heavy). Once you go to 6 or above in a North Fork your are moving into what most would call heavy action rods. A 6 power would be good for heavy jigs, thicker vegetation, or lite duty frog rod. A 9 power would be a heavier duty Frogging rod or really heavy vegetation, heavy lure type rod.

The HMs and X-Rays or really nice high end blanks similar to G Loomis GLX and NRX blanks. The HM and X-Ray (Mirror Finish) are both sanded / polished smooth blanks and look similar. The term "Mirror Finish" on the X-Ray is misleading, it is not shiny but is actually more of a sanded satin look. The Regular X-Ray blanks are not sanded "polished", so they retain a ribbed finish.

If I could have "only one" rod for Jig and Worm fishing in 1/4 to 3/8 ounce lures (bottom type baits), it would be the MB 704 HM.

Hope that helps ~ Lenny B
    Great info thank You
    Would the MB706 be similar to a Loomis 844 ?
    Also is there a blank in the X-ray line that’s similar to an NRX 844 also an NRX 873 ?
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

For the NRX844 "Mag Bass" I'd go with the NFC MB705 or 706 HM.

For the Carolina Rig NRX873 I'd probably go with the SJ736 X-Ray.

Here's a Good Tool to compare blanks. You can add different blanks and then add various weight to teach to see how they compare to each other: RODHOUSE COMPARATOR TOOL

You can also look up specs and suggested applications on NCF's Rod Specs Chart

17. Member
    I d have to disagree on some of what LennyB is saying. For a Loomis 844 your going to have to go to a 708 (fast action) or for a slower mod/fast go with the 709 to get the same power as the loomis 844. I spent a lot of time lately running CCS numbers on blanks and a 705-1HM (639g at 75 AA) is to me a In between a 843 and 842. It lines up well with a St.Croix SCV70MF (614g at 75AA). The Loomis 843’s that I have checked fall in that 690-705g at 75AA. Don’t have a 842 to compare to but I’d imagine it’s towards the low 600’s. Just got a 704-1HM that I’m going to check. Funny enough the Delta 705 is in 843 territory with 701g of power at 75AA. The Loomis 844 I have came out to 935g of power at 68AA. The NFC 708 has 918g at 71AA and the 709 has 963g at 65AA.

The NFC SJ736 measured out to 789g at 75 AA which is the same as a St.Croix SCV70MHF (My all purpose rods 3/8 up to 1/2oz jigs + trailer, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, shallow square bills)
    A Megabass Perfect Pitch Gen1 measured out 1053g at 75 AA ( My favorite frog rod and pitching)
    Megabass Tour Versatile Gen1 measured 1037g at 76 AA
    a Abu Garcia Veritas 7’ 3” MH Gen1 measured 985 at 73 AA ( another good frog rod and good at football jigs, c-rigs)
    Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH measured 964g at 74 AA ( Frogs, C-rigs, heavier T-Rigs, Football Jigs, Flipping)
    (A NFC 705 HM would be my choice along with a St.Croix SCV70MF for t-rig worms up to 3/8oz. , stickworms weightless but can do mid cranks, 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, 1/2oz jerkbaits)
    Last edited by The Next KVD; 01-03-2022 at 06:56 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Next KVD View Post
    I d have to disagree on some of what LennyB is saying. For a Loomis 844 your going to have to go to a 708 (fast action) or for a slower mod/fast go with the 709 to get the same power as the loomis 844. I spent a lot of time lately running CCS numbers on blanks and a 705-1HM (639g at 75 AA) is to me a In between a 843 and 842. It lines up well with a St.Croix SCV70MF (614g at 75AA). The Loomis 843’s that I have checked fall in that 690-705g at 75AA. Don’t have a 842 to compare to but I’d imagine it’s towards the low 600’s. Just got a 704-1HM that I’m going to check. Funny enough the Delta 705 is in 843 territory with 701g of power at 75AA. The Loomis 844 I have came out to 935g of power at 68AA. The NFC 708 has 918g at 71AA and the 709 has 963g at 65AA.

The NFC SJ736 measured out to 789g at 75 AA which is the same as a St.Croix SCV70MHF (My all purpose rods 3/8 up to 1/2oz jigs + trailer, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, shallow square bills)
    A Megabass Perfect Pitch Gen1 measured out 1053g at 75 AA ( My favorite frog rod and pitching)
    Megabass Tour Versatile Gen1 measured 1037g at 76 AA
    a Abu Garcia Veritas 7’ 3” MH Gen1 measured 985 at 73 AA ( another good frog rod and good at football jigs, c-rigs)
    Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH measured 964g at 74 AA ( Frogs, C-rigs, heavier T-Rigs, Football Jigs, Flipping)
    (A NFC 705 HM would be my choice along with a St.Croix SCV70MF for t-rig worms up to 3/8oz. , stickworms weightless but can do mid cranks, 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, 1/2oz jerkbaits)
    Have you tested out an X-Ray SJ725 ?
    Curious what the SJ725 would be comparable with ?
    Thanks
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

After looking closer, KVD is right on going with the 709 to match the 844 Loomis.

NFC states the MB709 HM is a remastered MB844 IMX
    Last edited by LennyB; 01-04-2022 at 08:16 AM.