Thread: Optimax Help!

Post Optimax Help!

<1B310184>

Preface: I have spent the last 4 days reading, learning and analyzing each and every thread about the Optimax and recommended Oils.

Hello everyone. I just picked up what I thought was the boat of my dreams. An incredibly maintained and clean 2006 Bass Tracker Pro 190 paired with a 2006 Optimax 115. This boat is in excellent condition and shows little use. Recently serviced with fuel filter, plugs, belt. The gentleman lived near lake Okeechobee and impressed me with his care of this boat for 15 years. Unfortunately I discovered that the leftover oil he gave me was quicksilver premium (not premium plus). I’m more of the paranoid type and am well aware of the latest recommendation of “Opti DFI oil only” for this engine. I haven’t even taken the boat out yet besides the test run. It’s reservoir is full of blue oil. I plan on draining the remaining oil and adding either premium plus or the DFI Opti oil. I have already ordered Quickleen and am going to have my go with the “Don Weed cocktail” in order to help DE-CARB the engine. I’ve learned from you all on other threads that I should drain this oil. My question is, what damage has been done to this engine by running a standard TCW3 oil? Has anyone ran standard TCW3 oil without a issue? Does the premium plus offer better lubrication, or just contain additives to minimize carbon? Is this motor a ticking time bomb? should I change the oil with Premium plus (not DFI) to reduce risk of mixing dissimilar oils? I guess that that was more than “A” question. I’m sorry for beating a dead horse, I’ve tried piecing threads together to answer my own questions but, there’s so many mixed opinions. I just really was hoping that this motor was going to be solid and can’t afford a blown power head yet. God bless you all. I promise not to receive your advice and run. I’m enjoying BBC!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-15-2021 at 05:25 PM.

2. Member
    Welcome JH300!

Technically, if the oil is rated TCW3, it is safe to use but the preferred oils, Premium Plus (PP) and DFI, are that much better. I know PP has a bluish hue, not sure about Premium, wait for Don to advise. Mercury/Quicksilver DFI and PP can be safely intermixed without concern. If you're really worried about the mystery oil, drain the tank, refill with PP, and when it's time to add oil switch to DFI.

Do indeed run Don's cocktail, it does make a difference. The 2.5L & 3L forum FAQs are full of Optimax information, most of which applies to all regardless of displacement.

Since Mercury doesn't use years, the only positive ID your engine is by serial number, so, when you have time, please add that (and every time you create a new topic).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 ^^^^ and, Welcome to BBC!

I would not intermix the PREMIUM oil with other lubricants. BEST method would be to drain the tank completely, refill with the appropriate Optimax/DFI oil, and have an Oil Pump Prime performed to remove any chance that air is trapped in the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Okay thanks for the advice! Should I be concerned with any residual in the lines or pump, Or just get what I can?

serial number: 1B310184

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not nearly as concerned with what is in the pump and the lines- that will turn over in a matter of minutes.

It's what is in the tank itself that would be important to concern with.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not nearly as concerned with what is in the pump and the lines- that will turn over in a matter of minutes.

It's what is in the tank itself that would be important to concern with.
    Ok, what is the Don Weed cocktail?

7. Member
    I wouldn't worry about it, my 2010 has only had Pennzoil Premium plus or XLF in it since brand new and it still runs great.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabhunter View Post
    Ok, what is the Don Weed cocktail?
    Can be found in the FAQ at top of the 2.5L or 3L forums, in addition to many other helpful topics.

Fuel Additive Recommendations:
    -Stabilize fuel ANYTIME fuel will not be consumed and replaced within 15 days!!!
    -Optis (ALL, including XS & ProXS): Quickleen in EVERY TANK OF FUEL. You CAN combine Mercury QuickCare or QuickStor Fuel System Treatment & Stabilizer with Quickleen. Use the recommended "dose" of each product per the bottle instructions. For anyone questioning Quickleen recommendation- see Service Bulletin 2001-12 (yes, it's been recommended since 2001!!!).
    -Quickleen may be used in ANY Mercury engine- it helps to prevent/remove carbon buildup (primary purpose).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Can be found in the FAQ at top of the 2.5L or 3L forums, in addition to many other helpful topics.

Thanks������

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images