Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full Synthetic oil NOT recommended?

I was wondering the reason why Full Synthetic is not recommend on the new 4 strokes?

2. Member
    I believe it is recommended for the new V-12 outboards. Perhaps for longer maintenance intervals, or Mercury's testing has shown advantages for that engine family? It would not surprise me if down the road Mercury recommends it for more of the 4 strokes, as well as recommending Lithium batteries, which are not acceptable currently for the V8 outboards. Until Mercury supports this, I will continue to use Mercury 10W-30 semi-synthetic to protect my factory warranty and extended service contract on my 300R.

3. Member
    Because Mercury didn't have one,They do now.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Because Mercury didn't have one,They do now.
    Reminds me of Harley Davidson 20 year ago. Kept saying do not use synthetic oil then they came out with their own synthetic oil and suddenly it was ok.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supra360 View Post
    I was wondering the reason why Full Synthetic is not recommend on the new 4 strokes?
    Owner's Manuals and Service Manuals specifically recommended against FULL SYNTHETIC oils. With the birth of the V-12 engines (and their broader Service Intervals), the need for a Full-Synthetic oil resulted in Mercury offering one.

Although it has been marketed as suitable for any Mercury engine that requires 10w30 oil, I will continue recommending the Synthetic BLEND oil as it provides the benefits of BOTH a traditional (dino-based) oil AND a Synthetic. It was also recommended as the "Best" oil for most of the Mid size to V8 Fourstroke engine models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I have never understood any manufacturer not recommending synthetic as it is better in all fields. I have tested several brands and I can say, synthetic is superior at all levels. On race engines we break in on dynolube and then go synthetic and never look back.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I have never understood any manufacturer not recommending synthetic as it is better in all fields. I have tested several brands and I can say, synthetic is superior at all levels. On race engines we break in on dynolube and then go synthetic and never look back.
    It relates to revenue and profits. Nothing to do technology.

Branded oil and lubricant sales are a tremendous source of revenue.

8. Member
    I would break it in on regular oil. Than synthetic after that. That’s what I do on everything else with no problems.

9. Member
    And it probably wouldn’t be merc oil. I would have to research that a little. I don’t use Harley oil in my Harley. Never did. Again no problems

10. Member
    mercury can't void your warranty because you don't use mercury brand oil

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Slightly different environment and duty cycles involved. Oil topics have so many varying (and heated) opinions that we suggest folks simply read the FAQ Section, their owner's manual, and either use what is recommended- or something of their own choosing (with the understanding that they can run ANY oil they choose, but must accept the results of doing so).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Banned
    Cant we use any brand 10 w30 sentheitc blend oil?? even on the 175hp?

Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    I believe it is recommended for the new V-12 outboards. Perhaps for longer maintenance intervals, or Mercury's testing has shown advantages for that engine family? It would not surprise me if down the road Mercury recommends it for more of the 4 strokes, as well as recommending Lithium batteries, which are not acceptable currently for the V8 outboards. Until Mercury supports this, I will continue to use Mercury 10W-30 semi-synthetic to protect my factory warranty and extended service contract on my 300R.

13. Member
    Don can correct me, but I think you can use any brand of 10W-30 oil as long as it is a NMMA certified oil (that is certified for marine use). If a warranty issue arises, that Mercury feels is due to lubrication (even if it is not) and you are not using their oil, they have an avenue to weasel out of paying the claim. Would they do that? I am not sure but if I use their oil, that excuse is gone. I fully trust Ford Motor Company, and I use 5W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic (not Ford Motorcraft oil) in my pickup and I don't even think they would use that as an excuse not to pay a warranty claim. Like Don said in the post above, "use what you want and accept the results of doing so". That statement makes me feel uneasy, sorry Mercury.

14. Member
    I wonder whose oil Mercury relabeled and calls their own......

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can indeed run any FC-W Marine Engine Oil that meets the specifications listed for your engine. Keep in mind that these are NOT the same oils sold for use in autos, trucks, etc...

Pulsare: My comment is the same one I've used for many years. I would highly doubt you would see the manufacturer trying to "weasel" their way out of a legitimate claim. As a matter of fact- much the opposite has been my experience over the years.

That being said- I personally run the manufacturer's top recommendation in my own engines, with the confidence that I will never, ever have to try to prove that oil was the cause of a failure. Heck- even my bike still gets OEM oil.

16. Member
    Thanks, Don. Glad to hear you have noticed the opposite and Mercury has paid warranty claims where lubrication was considered the most probably cause, even if Mercury oil was not being used. Makes me feel a bit better. However, I will continue to use the Mercury oil, just to ensure (as you said) that an oil other than Mercury can even be questioned as a cause. Personally, I would prefer a 100% synthetic FC-W rated oil (even if I had to use the recent new Mercury 100% synthetic oil for the V-12 engines) but I will continue with the standard 10W-30 semi-synthetic Mercury 4 stroke oil.

17. Member

mixing oil

Can I mix sae 25w-40 quicksilver synthetic blend with sae 10w-30 4 stroke motor oil in my225hp 2b776205 motor

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    I wonder whose oil Mercury relabeled and calls their own......
    All the Mercury oil as far as I know always has been a Phillips 66 oil. I live in there base town and know a couple petroleum engineers that's what I've always been told.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Owner's Manuals and Service Manuals specifically recommended against FULL SYNTHETIC oils. With the birth of the V-12 engines (and their broader Service Intervals), the need for a Full-Synthetic oil resulted in Mercury offering one.

Although it has been marketed as suitable for any Mercury engine that requires 10w30 oil, I will continue recommending the Synthetic BLEND oil as it provides the benefits of BOTH a traditional (dino-based) oil AND a Synthetic. It was also recommended as the "Best" oil for most of the Mid size to V8 Fourstroke engine models.
    What are the benefits of a traditional oil? Serious question.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    Thanks, Don. Glad to hear you have noticed the opposite and Mercury has paid warranty claims where lubrication was considered the most probably cause, even if Mercury oil was not being used.
    Just to be clear, I think you may have read something into my comments (I didn't indicate Mercury overlooked that poor quality oils were used). If there is a question of oil quality, analysis may be required (that is a moot point where the factory recommended lubricant is used, however).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast