Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If I misunderstood your reply please set me straight. When you said that Mercury would not try and avoid a claim, and your experience was if anything, to the contrary, I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that if someone used an FCW approved oil (non Mercury) and an issue arose Mercury would not deny the warranty claim because their oil was not being used or try to get out of paying the claim. As you pointed out to members, I also want to avoid this issue entirely, so I use the 10W-30 Mercury semi-synthetic (even though I would prefer a 100% synthetic FC-W approved oil). Before your reply, I assumed that using a non Mercury oil, but FCW approved oil of the correct viscosity would likely result in a warranty claim denial if lubrication was suspect. After your reply, I assumed that you have seen that Mercury did not try to get out of paying warranty claims when their oil was not used and lubrication was suspect (like a seized ring, or worn bearings, camshaft lobes, etc.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have never seen a claim denied based on oil quality, where a lubricant that met the specifications for the engine was utilized (regardless of the name-brand of said lubricant: this is covered by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976, as amended).

Damage caused by poor quality oils is (of course) not covered under Warranty (such as contaminated, wrong type, specification or weight).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don, that is very clear. Makes me feel better about using either the new Merc 100% 10W-30 synthetic or any other NMMA FC-W certified 10W-30 100% synthetic oil. I doubt I will, but if I did switch from the current semi synthetic Merc oil you have given me peace of mind.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just be sure to stick with the specifications SHOWN in your manual (which if I recall correctly, specifically state NOT to use full-synthetic oil).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12