B&W Tow and Stow

I've been back and forth on whether to buy one or not. I only have a boat but may haul a different trailer once a year. Is it worth the money? Not sure which drop/raise to get. I only have a half ton but may get a 3/4 ton in a couple years. I've been stuck between a 3" drop or 5" drop model. Don't want the 5" drop if I don't need it because I need a 0.75" raise (2" drop flipped around) to tow my boat normally. If I got a 3/4 ton I wouldn't lift it or get some special off road trim just a base model. So would a 3" drop be sufficient enough? Don't want to buy more than one and don't want it to drag in the driveway if I have it in the drop configuration. Pluses and minuses for both.

2. Member
    I was thinking about getting one, but most of what I've been towing will be covered by 2 different drops. Not worth it to me.

3. Member
    Bought one this last year. Got the 9" drop because of 3 different trailers to tow and different ball sizes. Only problem is the whole rig weighs a bunch and wife can't lift it off the floor in the garage when I leave it on the floor. Other than that is it a pretty innovative design and built like a tank.

4. Member
    I just got the 7in drop 3 ball for my Ram 2500 on Sunday. Probably don't need it but I would rather have the options incase I ever do.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I just got the 7in drop 3 ball for my Ram 2500 on Sunday. Probably don't need it but I would rather have the options incase I ever do.
    I have the same and have to use the lowest position for my boat and my truck is stock. Any higher up and it feels weird towing.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies so far. I only got a boat trailer I tow every weekend 7-8 months out of the year so it isn’t necessary to buy one but I keep eye balling it haha

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I only got a boat trailer I tow every weekend 7-8 months out of the year so it isn’t necessary to buy one but I keep eye balling it haha
    My recommendation is not to get the 3 ball. I doubt I ever tow anything with the smaller ball but it just makes it weird with the safety chains. B&W is right though, it is the last hitch you need unless I go down to a 1/2 ton with only a 2 inch shank instead of the 2 1/2 shank on my 3/4 ton.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

8. Member
    I have one on my 3/4 ton with the two ball. I haul several different trailers and absolutely love it. I just pull a pin to go from 2' ball to 2 5/16 ball. I am putting it on all my tow vehicles. Best hitch design in my book.

9. Member
    I have had three ball since 2005, multiple trucks, only way to fly, best hitch
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I have the 3 ball 7in. Drop on my Z71, does not scrape anything going up driveways. You never know what you may have to haul in the future.
    Last edited by BOATS; 12-19-2021 at 06:46 PM.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback. Definitely leaning towards a two ball 2” and 2 5/16” but still can’t decide between a 3” drop or 5”. I feel like I may scrape some low ramps or driveways. I would need to setup as a raise for my current setup. I got a 1500 Silverado now but may try a 2500 next. Would keep it stock no lift kits. Don’t want to spend all the money if I need a larger drop but dont necessarily want the larger drop if I don’t need it.

12. Member
    Got a 6" drop/rise on my F350. Best thing I have done. 2" or 2-5/16" ball at any height I need with pulling 2 pins along with a pintle hitch adapter. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

After owning trucks since the early 80s, and 2500 series for the last 20 years. I finally broke down and got one last year. To date, I've only swapped the ball and the height once, but the relative ease made me wish I had one 30 years ago. I'm glad I spent the money.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I've got the 5" drop 2-ball on my 3/4 ton and I love it. The 7" drop is overkill unless you have a lifted truck, and the 3" isn't quite enough if you're thinking about getting a 3/4 ton truck in the future. Having said that, I tow a lot more than a bass boat so the cost was worth it. If all you ever tow is a bass boat and a traditional 3" drop standard hitch gets your trailer pretty level then it's not needed IMO.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    Go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the lower drop model. I have one because I tow trailers requiring different ball sizes and different ball heights. I have the chrome model and it looks really sharp with my truck.
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

16. Member
    What’s the overall height of the 5” and 3” model? That way I can figure out how much it’ll hang down.

17. Member
    Ended up getting a deal on the 5” model. Measuring from the ground to the bottom of the hitch I got 11” ground clearance without a trailer hooked up. Do you think it has enough ground clearance? Not sure if I should spring for the 3” drop and gain another 2” of ground clearance…