Banned

a couple from this morning

Took the 4wt out this morning, had a lot of hits where they try and kill it with the dorsal fin, but only ended up with 2 till the wind got up.

2. Member
    Details? I really enjoy reading fly fishing posts. Brand new to me. Have yet to fish with a fly rod although I did get some casting instructions years ago (lawn casting).

Bought a couple 4wts and a 3wt in anticipation for bluegills later this year. Right now it's a bit too cold up here for this old fart. Picked up an Echo Carbon XL 9’ 4wt (2.7 oz.) and Scientific Anglers Frequency Boost WF4F for it. Got an 8' 4wt Redington Classic Trout on sale and Mastery Trout WF4F for it.

Couldn't pass up the sweet deal I found on a Redington Classic Trout 8’6” 3wt. Have a couple different WF3F lines to try on it. Cortland 444 Peach and Orvis Clearwater Trout WF3F. Have an old custom built IM6 7'6" 3wt I got from a guy on the TFF that never made it to the water (with me). Has DT3F on it. Don't remember what, but pretty sure it is a Scientific Anglers line. So I think I'm all set for bluegills...and whatever other panfish...I can catch this coming year. LOL

And let us not forget bass on the fly. Just need to find the reel for my GL3 9' 8wt. That is the one that was lawn cast about 25 years ago...during the 23 year period when I quit fishing locally...so it will need new line.

BTW, I caught the biggest crappie I've ever seen behind my B-I-L's house in Deland. I didn't know Florida had crappies.

3. Banned
    I get them on poppers I make and a wooly bugger type fly I tie that we call a HennPecker. I fish a couple of Scott 9ft 5wt rods with Nautilus reels that have AirFlo Ridge Bass Taper WF5 floating lines on them. I only use my 8 and 9 wts out in the saltwater.

4. Member
    acesover, what was the lure and how weighted?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    I get them on poppers I make and a wooly bugger type fly I tie that we call a HennPecker. I fish a couple of Scott 9ft 5wt rods with Nautilus reels that have AirFlo Ridge Bass Taper WF5 floating lines on them. I only use my 8 and 9 wts out in the saltwater.
    Nice! :-)

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    acesover, what was the lure and how weighted?
    No weights on any of the flys.

7. Member
    Do you fish the wooly bugger under the poppers?
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

8. Banned
    No, I only use one or the other. Never liked using dropper rigs.

9. Member
    No, I only use one or the other. Never liked using dropper rigs.
    Thanks.. I'm going after panfish on a fly rod this year and I'm just trying to figure it all out.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

10. Banned
    Casting with dropper rigs can be tough. I got tired of tangling up the set up with my bad casting when I was starting to learn how to cast a fly rod and quit doing it. Never went back to using them. I really enjoy the hit when using poppers and use them about 80% of the time.

11. Member
    Casting with dropper rigs can be tough. I got tired of tangling up the set up with my bad casting when I was starting to learn how to cast a fly rod and quit doing it. Never went back to using them. I really enjoy the hit when using poppers and use them about 80% of the time.
    Its supposed to warm up here this week I'm going to give it a try.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

12. Banned
    Best of luck to you. Hope you get into some fish!