Thread: Gear Oil Pump

Gear Oil Pump

I just hate Mickey Mouse tools and such are the plastic lower unit gear oil pumps. I have searched online and all I can find are the plastic pumps with the non-swivel ends for threading onto the lower unit. I have even watched YouTube videos and it seems mechanics use this junk. Now I understand this is a 'First World Problem' but I sure would like some ideas from the group on a good gear oil pump.

Dodger123
    Mercury 40/hp 1C633380

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dodger- I have one that came from Land-n-Sea many years ago. Stainless threaded end can be threaded in and out with hose in a fixed position- it wasn't cheap then and probably won't be now.

For FIELD use, I use the Mercury/Quicksilver plastic (Quart Size) pump, strictly because it threads into the gearcase quite nicely and that helps to avoid errors (and messes).

Please do yourself a favor and don't use the "tube" for technical advice. There's more POOR advice than GOOD (some of it can even result in costly errors). Your engine owner's manual, OR a Factory Service Manual are excellent sources.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    SEVERE GEARŪ 75W-90 from Amsoil and Valvoline also puts theirs in a squeeze bag. I currently use a cheap plastic pump too. I generally reseal the gear lube container drain the pump put it in a food storage zip bag and wipe up afterward. As I have not found a swivel end pump either I'll probably go with the pouch next time I buy gear lube.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    So the advantage there would be???

BTW... for those not familiar, the Mercury/Quicksilver High-Performance Gear Lube is Synthetic with emulsifiers to assist in protecting the gearcase in the event of water intrusion (90W).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Dodger- I have one that came from Land-n-Sea many years ago. Stainless threaded end can be threaded in and out with hose in a fixed position- it wasn't cheap then and probably won't be now.

For FIELD use, I use the Mercury/Quicksilver plastic (Quart Size) pump, strictly because it threads into the gearcase quite nicely and that helps to avoid errors (and messes).

Please do yourself a favor and don't use the "tube" for technical advice. There's more POOR advice than GOOD (some of it can even result in costly errors). Your engine owner's manual, OR a Factory Service Manual are excellent sources.
    Thanks for getting back to me. I was just using the "Tube" for visually looking at what others are using for a pump. I am currently on my 3rd Quicksilver pump. I will do a search on the brand you mentioned.
    Mercury 40/hp 1C633380

We had a pressure tank setup at the dealer i worked at. I toyed with the idea of buying one but the cost is pretty high. I have had 2 of those quicksilver pumps in 20 years and filled literally hundreds of gearcases with um. dont really see the need other than buying bulk oil.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

7. Member
    So what I went with is a larger oil can. Cut off the metal spout and added a clear flex hose and swivel ends from Slippery Pete. Works like a charm now with out having to thread a hose with no swivel and hose coming off pump.
    Mercury 40/hp 1C633380

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First dealer I worked at (gosh, that was a while ago) used old soda-mix bottles, modified with a simple on-off valve (inline) and a schrader valve to pressurize the bottle. Could usually fill a couple gearcases before needing to re-pressurize the bottle.

My concern with that setup is the potential of over-pressurizing a gearcase (human-error factor, primarily).