Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 beeps? one when key is turned on the second when it starts

i have 06 efi 150 ser 1B434555 motor is running great but i noticed that when i turn the key on i get the beep and then when its starts
    i get the same beep. i have put a new battery which was a 1000 cca , it had a new one which was just a 750 cca i was thinking that might be
    what it was but it didnt stop it as of yet anyone have this trouble i cant think of what it could be
    i also noted that it just started this since it has turned off cold
    Last edited by wayne72472; 12-12-2021 at 04:51 PM. Reason: left off info

Could be a key switch problem, as you turn it to the crank position it may lose the key on voltage momentarily, when regained it beep again
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Could be a key switch problem, as you turn it to the crank position it may lose the key on voltage momentarily, when regained it beep again
    Check the voltage at the on the fuse block when starting. Fuel pump, injector or coil fuses
    they should match battery voltage very closely under KOEO, Cranking and run conditions
    be sure as you turn the key from on to crank and let off that the voltage does not drop other than while cranking and then it should be greater than 10 volts
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    thanks i will check that out it just started since it turned cold outside didnt know if that might have something to do with it so i put the new battery on it
    just in case it was the battery

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May also be connection problems at the engine end (or degraded/compromised battery cables).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    thank you i will check i also saw a few post that in cold weather that this might happen have you ever seen this happen if so what should i do to repair it?

7. Member
    My Optimax does the same thing, new battery and cleaned all the connections and it didn't help, It has never caused any problems so I quit worrying about it.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Some engines may have this symptom (especially in cold weather). The Original Poster's engine isn't one we regularly hear this complaint on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    i checked and cleaned the cables checked battery cleaned all contacts and it still gives the beep as it starts i put a meter on the battery showed 14.3 volts when running
    i am looking at pulling the cables back off and putting new ends on to see if that might show some degraded cables contacts didnt see any drop in volts from the switch as it turned it from
    on to start but did notice that the fuses had what looked like white powder on them going to pull those and clean to see if that might help

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One thing to definitely watch for: "Green Wire Disease". Sometimes it's all throughout the strands... but then other times, it may simply be on the outermost strands (against the cable sheath). Replaced a set of cables last week for this very reason (after cutting the end back 4 times it was still "green" at the outermost strands).

11. Member
    ok i will check, so far i havent found anything but i have been cleaning all the contacts as i go everything seems to be ok the volts and checked ok i will keep looking, just dont want it to go out
    while i am on the lake fishing , thanks again

12. Member
    well i guess it is going to the shop i cant find what is wrong checked cables ,connections , battery, cleaned everything and now it beeps while its starting but
    stops when it starts and runs great puts out 14.6 volts i have unplugged everything and going to put the battery on charger and try it to make sure
    that its getting the full volts i saw that it drops to 10.2 volts when its starting

13. Member
    Could be a low voltage alarm when starting. What is the voltage at the starter before you crank it vs. voltage at the battery terminal?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Member
    i will check it and see . how would i check that ?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Voltmeter.

Read between battery terminals while cranking.

Then (immediately) read between power post (side of engine and at starter) and a good (bare-metal) ground while cranking.

Compare/Provide the two figures.

Note: It's important to have very similar conditions for each test. Don't permit the engine to run between the two tests as that may skew the results.

16. Member
    thanks i will do that tomorrow and get back to you, also i took the boat out today ran great just did the second beep while it started

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One other question- what battery (exactly) was it that you bought that had 1000 CCA (COLD cranking amps)? This is not the same as CA or MCA.

18. Member
    i checked the battery it showed 12.5 volts when i tried the starter it showed 10.5 volts
    on the starter it showed 12.5 volts when i tried the starter it dropped to 7.5 volts

the battery is a everstart 24ms2-6 1000mca and 135 amp hours@1A
    Last edited by wayne72472; 12-16-2021 at 11:10 AM.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne72472 View Post
    i checked the battery it showed 12.5 volts when i tried the starter it showed 10.5 volts
    on the starter it showed 12.5 volts when i tried the starter it dropped to 7.5 volts

the battery is a everstart 24ms2-6 1000mca and 135 amp hours@1A
    That's way less than 1000 CCA.

From your results, it appears that you have either connection or CABLE problems.

20. Member
    Thank you I will swap out the cable connectors if that doesn’t work I will go with new cables just to be sure you are taking about the poz and neg cables coming from the battery to motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast