Thread: Treasury Direct

Treasury Direct

Has anyone used this to buy bonds? I was thinking about buying some I Bonds. There is a limit of $10,000.00 per person and right now they are paying close to 7% through next April when they will adjust based on the inflation rate according to an article on CNBC. I imagine the rate will drop in April if inflation subsides but the rate will still probably be better than what I can get in cash. Was curious if anyone used Treasury Direct before and how they liked it.

2. Member
    It's fine ... the limit is $10,000/person PLUS any tax refund.
    Probably the absolute best thing you can do investment wise currently.
    You can do it all online. Purchase, redeem, etc. It's very easy.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    It's fine ... the limit is $10,000/person PLUS any tax refund.
    Probably the absolute best thing you can do investment wise currently.
    You can do it all online. Purchase, redeem, etc. It's very easy.
    I just set it up and put an order in to buy them today. I will buy another batch after January 1. I'm trying to talk my wife into opening an account so she can do the same. This seems like a much better option for cash than sitting in an account that earns nothing. At the very lease it will keep up with the inflation rate.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I just set it up and put an order in to buy them today. I will buy another batch after January 1. I'm trying to talk my wife into opening an account so she can do the same. This seems like a much better option for cash than sitting in an account that earns nothing. At the very lease it will keep up with the inflation rate.
    Exactly ... and you're correct on encouraging your wife. Worst case scenario, pull it after the penalty period.
    Going to bet you'll have it there awhile. It's really a good way to diversify and safer than most instruments.

5. Member
    Thanks Jim,

I have also been looking at these.

6. Member
    Solid investment. Thanks for the heads up.