Thread: Carpet ?

Carpet ?

The boat is going to the shop for a couple minor concerns. I think I will have new carpet installed while it is there. The boat is a Champion 2008 210 Elite. The carpet is kind of a dark charcoal. What weight carpet do you think it has from the original factory install ? I have heard guys speak of 20oz and 24 oz and some issues with lids binding. I just want good quality and the correct weight. What say ye ?

Right now I have the original carpet 2008 and the lids are still pretty snug with the carpet clearances and that's fine with me. They don't flop up and down on rough water and with an assertive force they open good but snug.
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    I have the same boat and I just ordered 28’ of Basscat charcoal carpet (syntec). From what I’ve read it is 28oz and about as good as boat carpet gets. My understanding is it’s not thicker just fuller so lids not opening isn’t an issue. I’m also having 1/4” closed cell foam padding added to both front and rear decks while carpet is being replaced.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have been kinda back and forth on the padded deck issue and I just can't seem to convince one way or the other. I hope you really like yours when it is completed.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    CNN The boat came with ash 20oz carpet. If you put bigger carpet the lids won’t open very easy you can shave them down. I just had a guy drop off a champ for carpet today. We will install 20oz carpet and the lids will open fine.

jchesley I have a bass cat with 28oz carpet I’m afraid you will have a terrible time getting that carpet in your champ.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    CNN The boat came with ash 20oz carpet. If you put bigger carpet the lids won’t open very easy you can shave them down. I just had a guy drop off a champ for carpet today. We will install 20oz carpet and the lids will open fine.

jchesley I have a bass cat with 28oz carpet I’m afraid you will have a terrible time getting that carpet in your champ.
    I don't know what your CNN is in reference to? Are you saying my 2008 Champion 210 Elite came with 20 oz carpet or some other boat ? Your post is a bit of a challenge for me to interpret. Maybe it's just me.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Sorry it was voice text on my phone. I do apologize I should of proofread the post.

so far all the champs I’ve re-carpeted for people have had 20oz. Now that being said your your 210 Elite was more of a higher end model and could of had 24oz. What I would suggest is before you order carpet I would get a sample of both 20 and 24oz of the carpet you want to use and compare it too what’s in your 210 now. If the carpet is 24oz I would suggest going with the carpet ranger use’s in the fiberglass boats called shadow gray it’s a hair lighter than what’s in your boat now. If it’s 20oz I use the carpet ranger installs in their aluminum boats it’s called 16oz but is thicker and compares to 20oz. I’ve used it on each champ I’ve done this year and last year. The lids open and close great and no gaps between the lids on the back deck.

Again sorry for my previous post.

I did my 196 a couple years ago. It was born with 20, and I replaced it with 24. If I were to do it today, I'd use the 28 from Basscat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    I did my 196 a couple years ago. It was born with 20, and I replaced it with 24. If I were to do it today, I'd use the 28 from Basscat.

Interesting

gonna.CHeck with my installer and see what his perspective is.
    GETFISHED !!!

I think I know who Generator is and if he's the one I think he is, then he and his buddy have been doing boat carpet for some time from November through April. They do an awesome job and have to turn folks away they're so good. They did my 202 DCX Elite and I can tell you if they'd used 24oz the lids would have been a problem.

10. Member
    Hey Steve yes this is Brian. Your boat turned out great.

Getfished if you would like me to send you a sample of each size I’d be more than happy to at no charge. If so just pm your info.

I have to say I enjoyed the process and learned a great deal. It was a steep learning curve to the point where I was doing things differently about half way through as compared to when I started. I'm very pleased with the results and have been told by others that it looks "professionally done". That said, I now have mad respect for anyone who does this for pay. It's very difficult and if you're going to make any money, you have to have a good process. Productionized. I also learned that you don't always need the expensive tools. For example, when spreading glue. I bought a fancy trowel and used it twice. Too much PITA to clean up each time. I wound up using plastic trowels from Lowe's that are shaped like a 3" putty knife with the 1/8" slots in the end. When I'd finish a session, I just threw them away. They cost $1.09 each. VERY sharp knives are a must and get LOTS of extra blades. Carpet and padding both dull them VERY quickly. I padded both my front and back decks and lids and am VERY glad I did. MUCH easier on my back these days and I can fish longer without pain. I did manage to spill some dye on my carpet in mid-season this past year but, what the hell. It wasn't going to stay perfect forever anyway...

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Get padding on front!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri