Thread: First AR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Just shoot the guy with the deer.

On another note I really like the RISE trigger in my AR-10. Single stage 3.5 lbs. Never liked a 2 stage for precision stuff.
    Rise works for an inexpensive drop-in as does Davidson Defense from Delta Team Tactical. https://www.deltateamtactical.com/ar...er-system.html Been running half a dozen of them for a few years now and they are holding up well. The Fostech Echo IIs are my favorite when running drills. https://fostech.com/product/echo-ar-ii-trigger/ For all out precision I'm still a fan of Timney though.

2. Member

On another note I really like the RISE trigger in my AR-10. Single stage 3.5 lbs. Never liked a 2 stage for precision stuff.
    I just put a Rise 3.5 lb in my 350 Legend and it is a totally different shooter now.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

3. Member

Velocity makes some nice ones too.

4. Member
    I dont know what kind of range you need. My AR 15 6.5 Grendel is a 400 yard gun. I would imagine plenty of AR 10’s are way more capable down range.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbach View Post
    I dont know what kind of range you need. My AR 15 6.5 Grendel is a 400 yard gun. I would imagine plenty of AR 10’s are way more capable down range.
    I always wanted an ar10 until I handled one. No way I am humping that rifle system in the field.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    In the midst of todays stupidity retail cost of components for handloading make the cost of the finished product about the same as factory fodder. I'm seeing 5.56 range brass actually selling for as much as $200 per thousand.
    $200 per K of loaded 5.56 would be a very good price right now.
    Although most start reloading with the thought in mind that it's to save money nothing could be farther from the truth. Reloading is more about precision due to acquiring a better understanding of ballistics and ammo physical factors than about saving money. I've already mentioned using the correct ammo for the desired use. You can't always purchase such ammo but an educated handloader can always put something together that will maximize efficiency. When you factor in the cost of equipment and information and the time involved.......most are better off not getting involved. For someone who strives for perfection and self sufficiency like myself it's merely a cost of doing business.
    Agreed. I always laugh when someone compares reloads to low end range ammo. My reloads are custom made to shoot well out of my guns. I'd compare them to the higher end performance ammo personally.

But I just did a calculation on reloading cost, using the Reloading Assistant app. $130 for 1K of .224 bullets (that's what 5.56/.223 uses), $65 per K of primers (which is what I've been paying for them this year), $250 for 8lbs of powder delivered (using 25 grains), free brass. Comes out to $30.66 per hundred. Not a bad price for tuned ammo, IMO. Whether that pays for itself in savings over lowend range ammo depends on how much you shoot. I see Bass Pro sells 400 rounds of 5.56 Federal in an ammo can for $320, before tax. So figure 80 cents a round. If you shot 5K rounds at the above prices, you'd save about $2500 rolling your own. That'd pay for a nice reloading setup.

One thing you hear reloaders say is that you don't really save any money, because you end up shooting more! Probably a lot of truth to that. ;-)
    John

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    $200 per K of loaded 5.56 would be a very good price right now.

Agreed. I always laugh when someone compares reloads to low end range ammo. My reloads are custom made to shoot well out of my guns. I'd compare them to the higher end performance ammo personally.
    Simply unheard of in todays market.

I just did a calculation on reloading cost, using the Reloading Assistant app. $130 for 1K of .224 bullets (that's what 5.56/.223 uses), $65 per K of primers (which is what I've been paying for them this year), $250 for 8lbs of powder delivered (using 25 grains), free brass. Comes out to $30.66 per hundred. Not a bad price for tuned ammo, IMO. Whether that pays for itself in savings over lowend range ammo depends on how much you shoot. I see Bass Pro sells 400 rounds of 5.56 Federal in an ammo can for $320, before tax. So figure 80 cents a round. If you shot 5K rounds at the above prices, you'd save about $2500 rolling your own. That'd pay for a nice reloading setup.

One thing you hear reloaders say is that you don't really save any money, because you end up shooting more! Probably a lot of truth to that. ;-)
    My big deal about reloading is about planning ahead. I recently used some primers I paid $5 per thousand for a long time ago. Not long ago I used the last of some Alcan powder that was marked $1.78 on the can. When you shoot as much as we do the cost if using components at todays prices would be astronomical.

Most of us don't even realize how much we have invested in equipment. There are those who use nothing but basic Lee stuff and do great and there are dummies like me that get into the latest and greatest too often. Reloading is sort of a relaxing and therapeutic thing for me that is as important as shooting. It's kind of the same as the guys who have to have the latest and greatest boat and fishing stuff. I have my share of that stuff too but I tend to get more intense over reloading and shooting. The new stuff isn't always the best though no matter the subject. My single stage press is a RockChucker which is what most singles have been based on for a lot of years. I've had a number of progressive presses over the years including Dillon and others but some years ago I decided the LNL's were the best fit for me. My boat is 21 years old and I wouldn't trade it for a new one if it wasn't for the money.

8. Member
    I enjoy reloading more than shooting to be honest.

9. Member
    My big deal about reloading is about planning ahead. I recently used some primers I paid $5 per thousand for a long time ago. Not long ago I used the last of some Alcan powder that was marked $1.78 on the can. When you shoot as much as we do the cost if using components at todays prices would be astronomical.
    Not all of us suffered through the last shortage, or started reloading not long before the shortages. I am a long time reloader, but the last shortage was an in between time for me. I'd stopped trap shooting and hadn't gotten into CC and competitions. I was well stocked going into the shortage this time. I'm still shooting primers I paid $30 per K delivered. But I just started loading rifle, so have been buying also.
    Most of us don't even realize how much we have invested in equipment. There are those who use nothing but basic Lee stuff and do great and there are dummies like me that get into the latest and greatest too often. Reloading is sort of a relaxing and therapeutic thing for me that is as important as shooting. It's kind of the same as the guys who have to have the latest and greatest boat and fishing stuff. I have my share of that stuff too but I tend to get more intense over reloading and shooting. The new stuff isn't always the best though no matter the subject. My single stage press is a RockChucker which is what most singles have been based on for a lot of years. I've had a number of progressive presses over the years including Dillon and others but some years ago I decided the LNL's were the best fit for me. My boat is 21 years old and I wouldn't trade it for a new one if it wasn't for the money.
    I'm sure you're right. I do actually do the math when I upgrade presses. Right now, it does not take long to pay off a press if you shoot much at all. I recently upgraded from a Dillon 650 to a Dillon 1100. Math says I'll pay it off in 47 weeks. Not that it had to be a good investment, I guess. I just enjoy reloading.
    John

10. Member
    So as someone who doesnt shoot much what im hearing is it isnt worth the cost of reloading equipment. Im going to save mine and my friends brass no matter what but have considered it just for the fun factor. I however am not in the business of pissing away money.

Then again I fish so maybe I am.

11. Member
    So as someone who doesnt shoot much what im hearing is it isnt worth the cost of reloading equipment. Im going to save mine and my friends brass no matter what but have considered it just for the fun factor. I however am not in the business of pissing away money.

Then again I fish so maybe I am.
    As stated earlier reloading isn't about saving money even though most start it with that in mind. With todays situation I can't see where it would be feasible to start at this time. Especially for someone who doesn't shoot much.

12. Member
    As stated earlier reloading isn't about saving money even though most start it with that in mind. With todays situation I can't see where it would be feasible to start at this time. Especially for someone who doesn't shoot much.
    That's exactly where I'm at on this subject. I wish I could shoot more but simply don't have ranges here to do so. I had belonged to a gun club to take advantage of their rifle range that was a bit over 200 yards so I thought OK this might work for me. Then found out it was in a low lying area of their property what was wet most of the time, not to mention you need a kids wagon to get your stuff out there in the first place. When I went to the meetings to see if they had plans to improve the range I quickly found out they only cared about the Trap Shooting Range and not the Rifle Range so I let my membership lapse.

But anyways, I always thought about reloading my own rifle ammo for clearly just more accuracy but fishing always got in the way. However, I always saved my spent brass over the MANY years and just yesterday took them to salvage yard and got $1.82 per pound = $47 for more expensive ammo....LOL

I envy you guys that do reload your own ammo to custom fine tune loads to your firearm. I LOVE a good tight shooting hunting rifle over a more powerful gun any day of the week and twice on opening day......

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    That's exactly where I'm at on this subject. I wish I could shoot more but simply don't have ranges here to do so. I had belonged to a gun club to take advantage of their rifle range that was a bit over 200 yards so I thought OK this might work for me. Then found out it was in a low lying area of their property what was wet most of the time, not to mention you need a kids wagon to get your stuff out there in the first place. When I went to the meetings to see if they had plans to improve the range I quickly found out they only cared about the Trap Shooting Range and not the Rifle Range so I let my membership lapse.

But anyways, I always thought about reloading my own rifle ammo for clearly just more accuracy but fishing always got in the way. However, I always saved my spent brass over the MANY years and just yesterday took them to salvage yard and got $1.82 per pound = $47 for more expensive ammo....LOL

I envy you guys that do reload your own ammo to custom fine tune loads to your firearm. I LOVE a good tight shooting hunting rifle over a more powerful gun any day of the week and twice on opening day......
    Do yourself a favor and don't take your brass to a recycle center. Keep it clean and when you get a reasonable quantity saved up you can sell it online for more money than you got. Or better yet contact someone like myself or better yet for you, contact someone close to you and sell it that way. As an example right now I'm seeing fired 357 and 44 brass selling in places for over 50 cents ea. I recently picked up 2 55 gallon drums of range brass and sold 2 5 gallon buckets of it for as much as I paid for it all. The rest I will keep for myself for free.

14. Member
    Do yourself a favor and don't take your brass to a recycle center. Keep it clean and when you get a reasonable quantity saved up you can sell it online for more money than you got. Or better yet contact someone like myself or better yet for you, contact someone close to you and sell it that way. As an example right now I'm seeing fired 357 and 44 brass selling in places for over 50 cents ea. I recently picked up 2 55 gallon drums of range brass and sold 2 5 gallon buckets of it for as much as I paid for it all. The rest I will keep for myself for free.
    If I had access to 55 gallon drums of shot brass I would be reloading tomorrow lol. good lord. I would reload stuff I dont even own and just give it to friends.

15. Member
    If I had access to 55 gallon drums of shot brass I would be reloading tomorrow lol. good lord. I would reload stuff I dont even own and just give it to friends.
    As I've mentioned already, if you don't have a stockpile of components from a time when prices were more realistic it just wouldn't be worth it. I assure you I'll be passing some of this that we have no use for on to friends but most will be sorted and processed and stay here to be worked into the rotation.

I came across a 40 gallon drum of 12 gauge AA hulls at a yard sale 3 or 4 years ago that I picked up for $20. One of my sons clients mentioned he could use some a while back but couldn't find any and since I no longer load shot shells we just gave them to him. The guy nearly came unglued when we wouldn't take anything for them. I understand they have all been reloaded and are ready to go.

16. Member
    As I've mentioned already, if you don't have a stockpile of components from a time when prices were more realistic it just wouldn't be worth it. I assure you I'll be passing some of this that we have no use for on to friends but most will be sorted and processed and stay here to be worked into the rotation.

I came across a 40 gallon drum of 12 gauge AA hulls at a yard sale 3 or 4 years ago that I picked up for $20. One of my sons clients mentioned he could use some a while back but couldn't find any and since I no longer load shot shells we just gave them to him. The guy nearly came unglued when we wouldn't take anything for them. I understand they have all been reloaded and are ready to go.
    Is that still true though if you had access to 55 gallon drums of brass ???

17. Member
    As an example right now I'm seeing fired 357 and 44 brass selling in places for over 50 cents ea.
    Good to know. I have a bunch of cleaned 44 mag brass I will never need, since I'm about to sell the only 44 mag gun I own.
    John

18. Member
    Is that still true though if you had access to 55 gallon drums of brass ???
    Yessir. Nowadays brass is only a minor component. The cost and lack of availability of bullets, powder and especially primers is the main deterrent to starting to reload today.

19. Member
    Good to know. I have a bunch of cleaned 44 mag brass I will never need, since I'm about to sell the only 44 mag gun I own.
    If money is an issue, yes what you have is valuable but you might want to consider karma. Either trading it to someone or giving it to someone who has a use for it may pay you more than you know. Sorry. Just something I always consider.

20. Member
    Yessir. Nowadays brass is only a minor component. The cost and lack of availability of bullets, powder and especially primers is the main deterrent to starting to reload today.
    Fair point good info. Still not gonna turn down a drum of brass though lol. It can hang out in the garage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast