mikesxpress

If your interested in PCP airguns for deer hunting.

I've taken multiple deer with this weapon since last months gun season opener. I haven't taken a powder burner out since.

.357 Mega Pitbull PCP airgun with 160gr hollow points. 5 round magazine. Kill range on deer out to 100 yards but my average range is > 50 yards. Less than 70dB at 100 yards. Very quiet.

https://www.pitbullairguns.com/produ...ga-pitbull-357

Trail cam caught the mule kick at impact.

2. Member
    Been looking into these and other similar guns. What more can you tell me? What are you using for optics? Does it come with optics or did you add later? Do you buy slugs or is there moulds available so I can make my own as I do for most of my other guns? Have you chrono'd your gun yourself and if so what were actual results? Most manufacturers over play this card. Do you have your own compressor and if so which one? etc. etc. etc. Yes I really am interested.

3. Member
    Does the bullet need the lube grooves shown in the photo or do they serve another purpose?

4. Banned
    What is the point of using one over a traditional weapon?

5. mikesxpress
    I already had a Benjamin Marauder .22 PCP with hand pump for 2 years and researched the big bore PCPs for a year before selecting the highly modified Mega Pitbull (Benjamin Bulldog) from Pitbull airguns. I wanted a deer hunting weapon capable of at least 2 full power shots with no changes in trajectory/aim point. This Pitbull does that. Sighting in at 20-60 yards is dead on with slugs overlapping and best suits my timber environment hunting conditions. Anything beyond that you need the MilDot reticle for compensation. I have a Hawke 4X12X50mm lit reticle that is parallax free out to 100 yards on high rings to accommodate the bullpup sight height.
    They also offer moderated models that offer more equal lower power shots over 10-20 rounds for folks that punch paper vs hunt.
    I am currently shooting 160gr ProSlugs .357 Venom hollow points. I also have some HiKal slugs I will sample after season is over. No actual chronograph readings on my setup yet. Folks have been taking big game animals with this weapon for 5 years and I just mimicked there setup. No compressor for me. I spent the $700 and got an Air Venturi 98 cu ft bottle that takes a 4500 psi charge. Dive shop fill is $7.00 and I can top off the gun after 2 shots over a hundred times before I need to fill the bottle again. I'm not in to pouring lead or fiddling with ballistics so I just purchase the slugs from the folks that make them for a living. You would have to question them on the configuration attributes. The slugs in use now have killed all 5 deer they were used on inside 60 yards. I've not had an opportunity to utilize them on a deer any further away yet but have my Mil-Dot ranging for out to 100 yards where it still holds inside 2". Not bad for a pellet gun?

Primary advantage for use of this weapon over a powder burner is it's extremely quiet. Airguns are not classified as a firearm and not governed by BATF. The suppression of these air powered weapons that operate below the speed of sound is much better than subsonic firearm rounds. I have a tax stamp suppressor on my .300 Blackout/ With subsonic ammo your kill range drops to 75 yards max and it's 3 times louder than the Pitbull. With the decibel meter readings on the Mega Pitbull below 70dB at distance, I've had other deer within 40 yards of the target animal stand in place after the shot. Due to the "tone" of the shot and subdued sound profile it appears the deer are unable to target the location of the shot? (Speculation)

Hunting my property within 200 yards of the house, my wife sitting in the living room, and didn't hear me shoot. Once the weapon and bottle are purchased, the cost for air refills is miniscule. For $32.00 which includes shipping you can purchase 100 high quality slugs. No ammo shortage here. I have a large selection of traditional firearms I've used for many years. For distances over 100 yards they are still applicable. This PCP is by far the most fun to use. No recoil. No expensive ammunition. And very limited noise.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 12-12-2021 at 07:27 AM.

6. Member
    I figure you know about this one, but it's why the Native Americans didn't mess with Lewis & Clark when they surveyed the West.

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-ama...iwether-lewis/

7. mikesxpress
    Technology has advanced allot since then. 3000 psi tube on this one. No pumping with the botle in play. Hook the bottle up and crack the fill for 3 seconds and your back to 3000. Only have a 5 round magazine so I guess that's a downside???

I was in my stand setting up the Tactacam on the Pitbull when I had an opportunity to film a .357 accuracy test head shot on a grey at 28 yards. I don't advocate this caliber for hunting tree rats but it is very accurate. The mic for the camera sits directly beisde the air chamber and you hear the ping of the air valve releasing. Not noticeable away from the gun.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 12-12-2021 at 07:54 AM.

8. Banned
    " Airguns are not classified as a firearm and not governed by BATF." So a convicted felon can own one? That's kinda odd.

9. mikesxpress
    In the United States, it is legal for a convicted felon to own a black powder gun during his custody or control. Under Federal and State laws, a black powder gun is also termed an 'antique firearm'. Antique firearms are discharged under the United States Gun Control Act of 1968.

Felons can also possess bows/crossbows and yes air guns.

My boss just bought this same gun a few weeks ago. I was pretty impressed with it to be honest.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Banned
    I'd be interested in one of those, for sure. Currently running an Air Venturi Avenger in .25. I've done a few mods to it, bought a compressor and slung a ton of pellets and slugs through it. Stupidly accurate out to 75-100 yards and very quiet.

12. mikesxpress
    I've been transitioning to minimalist mode the past few years and eliminating crap I don't want to service/fool with. No compressor for me. I spent the $700 for a Air Venturi 98 cu ft bottle with 4500 psi charge capability. Dive shop fills it for $7 while I eat lunch. I only hunt with the Pitbull so two shots max. I can refill it to 3000 psi 151 times before the bottle needs filled again. Couple of us are taking our Benjamin Marauder .22 PCPs with us to Florida in Feb for our 3 week annual bass trip. Friend there has us lined up to shoot iguanas for a couple days. Bottle will be in the boat to fill the Marauder.

13. Banned
    You may want to check the regulations regarding shooting iguanas. It is illegal in a lot of places.

14. mikesxpress
    Not where we are going.

15. Member
    YouTube the 50 cal,, impressive.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    What is the point of using one over a traditional weapon?
    You only need the bullet, big savings and quieter as well.

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    YouTube the 50 cal,, impressive.
    I had a .50 Texan LSS and sold it. Way to long and heavy. And all of the 50's are single shot. If your consistently shooting at 100-150 yards the 50 cal or .457 cal is appropriate.
    Furthest shots so far were two does at 52 yards with the .357. 1st one dropped and the rest stood there. 2nd one dropped and the remaining two walked off. I believe the reduced sound of the shots affects there ability to detect the direction they came from. Me side lever loading the 2nd slug makes more noise.