First time brisket

Ok, we have been directed by SWMBO, to do a brisket. I believe we need a simple recipe, for us rookies.
    Hopefully, it will be fool proof. What pitfalls are we likely to see? Can you do a half of one, as a test?
    Fire away, please.

2. Scraps
    Biggest hurdle will be the prep, cleaning up the piece. Get a good 6in knife. Bunch of videos that are pretty good. First one I did I cut up into pieces and froze after. If your smoker is big enough for the whole piece it's easier to keep in tact IMO. First one I did I dry-brined overnite in the fridge. It did come out a little salty.

Arounbd me, best place, best price, to buy brisket is Costco. It's like $5.99/lb.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I was intimidated by brisket for a long time, but in reality it’s one of the easiest things to fix.

Try this for the first time. https://heygrillhey.com/texas-style-...-beef-brisket/

Just remember, it’s not done until you put the probe in and think there is no meat there.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Low n slow is always the moto. There's lots of dry rub options; we like the simple Kosher salt and Black pepper only. We smoke on 220 to meat temp not on time. Probably the most important step we DON'T leave out is wrapping in foil towards the end of the cook to finish it out and keep moist. Not much left overs here so prepare to enjoy the same day you slice it up.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

5. Member
    You’ll see and hear a lot of advice online. Different things work for different people. Best thing I can say is don’t cook to time, but to temp. I usually allow 1.5 hours per pound. Sometimes it’s done ahead of time, sometimes it takes longer. I always wrap in foil around halfway through, usually around 160 degrees. You’ll know it’s done when your temp probe goes in like a hot knife into butter. For me that takes getting to at least 205 degrees. If the brisket is tough to stick the meat temp probe in, it needs to cook longer. It took me several times of making mistakes to understand that tough brisket isn’t cooked enough. It would take an enormous amount of overcooking, like 10 hours over, to make the brisket tough due to overcooking.

6. Member
    Your post makes a lot of sense. If I ever get brave enough to fire up my Pit Boss 820 I purchased back in the summer I will try to remember that advice. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor482 View Post
    You’ll see and hear a lot of advice online. Different things work for different people. Best thing I can say is don’t cook to time, but to temp. I usually allow 1.5 hours per pound. Sometimes it’s done ahead of time, sometimes it takes longer. I always wrap in foil around halfway through, usually around 160 degrees. You’ll know it’s done when your temp probe goes in like a hot knife into butter. For me that takes getting to at least 205 degrees. If the brisket is tough to stick the meat temp probe in, it needs to cook longer. It took me several times of making mistakes to understand that tough brisket isn’t cooked enough. It would take an enormous amount of overcooking, like 10 hours over, to make the brisket tough due to overcooking.

7. Member
    I can’t take credit for it. I got lots of help from here and other places to arrive at those conclusions.

Get an 8-9# piece to work with first. I only use coarse black pepper. The times are guidelines only, go by temp and the skewer test. They’re not rocket surgery but don’t do your first one for the ‘big family get together’. Do a couple practice runs.

9. Member
    Thank you all!!!!
    Most likely will go to Costco next week..need some other things too.
    We will start with a small one for sure, although, we have a Traeger 885, should have plenty of room for a bigger one , later on.
    Will go for temp, not time.
    thanks CatFan..I am in Texas until March..will check that recipe.
    this is one hell of a web site....thanks Al

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Get an 8-9# piece to work with first. I only use coarse black pepper. The times are guidelines only, go by temp and the skewer test. They’re not rocket surgery but don’t do your first one for the ‘big family get together’. Do a couple practice runs.
    100% agree. I've always gone the Aaron Franklin route on brisket but I smoke on a BGE and they are always delicious. Check out his videos/recipes...I get prime from Sam's and basically cover with coarse salt and coarse pepper, smoke at 275 with post oak wood, place a water pan underneath (be sure to add water as it evaporates), spray with apple cider vinegar as you go, wrap in butcher paper as soon as it comes out of the stall then cook til probe tender or til 203 internal temp (this is not always accurate but should be pretty close), then let it rest (keep in paper, wrap in towel and place in cooler) for at least an hour, longer if possible. It's funny that sometimes the point is the best and sometimes the flat comes out better but it's always really good.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you use butcher paper, be sure it isn’t coated. Most white paper is coated.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​