Lake Fork In April

Im going to Fork in April, where is the best place to stay for 2 people.

Looking at Lake Fork Resort and The Minnow Bucket.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Member
    Fisherman's Cove is where I stay. Has it's own ramp with a boat lane that will get you to the main lake trails. If you don't have a chip for the lanes make sure to get one.

3. Member
    I've stayed at Lake Fork Marina for the last 20 years or so since Rainswood closed. Super clean rooms, good restaurant, great tackle shop, two boat ramps, covered boat slips, and really nice folks that will bend over backwards to take care of you. A lot of the good guides take off out of there. I've also stayed at Lake Fork Resort when LFM is full. Nice rooms, good food, good tackle store, and boat ramp. Nice people as well.

Retired grass grower

ROCK CHALK

4. Bobby8
    The Burning Stump, owner Rich is a great guy, very nice rooms, has covered parking for your boat right outside your room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    The Burning Stump, owner Rich is a great guy, very nice rooms, has covered parking for your boat right outside your room.
    Isn't that at Rayburn?
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Isn't that at Rayburn?
    It's in Alba, TX
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

7. Bobby8
    Isn't that at Rayburn?
    Nope Fork, been staying there for a few years now

8. Member
    Isn't that at Rayburn?
    Maybe you are thinking of "The Stump" restaurant at Rayburn....

Lake Fork Marina...great place to stay, the restaurant is alright, and they have a nice ramp

Oak Ridge is making a comeback...but when I stayed there last is wasn't too good. Heard they did some much needed renovations
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

10. Member
    Where ever you decide to stay, should make reservations now.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Hopefully it'll still be fishing well in May! My wife's non-profit, Women's Fishing Federation, is holding their annual event there at Lake Fork Marina the week of Mother's Day. I just have to decide if I want to drag the kayak trailer or the bass boat down there from Northern California for the week!

12. Member
    Dropping the lake now to 7ft low to repair the damn, hope it catches water soon after the get it repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    Maybe you are thinking of "The Stump" restaurant at Rayburn....
    Yeah, The Burning Stump (aka The Stump restaurant) is what I was thinking. I ate there a time or two. I didn't know there was a place near Fork with the same name. I haven't been to either place in several years. I guess I need to get out more.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

14. Banned
    Hook Line and Sinker..........
    Great place, nice big rooms with a private ramp and walking distance to Oak Ridge Marina for dining.

15. Member
    Welp, got reservations for the The week of April 10th. Hope this is a good time to catch some big fish.

It typically is that time of year. We have been going first of April for several years now. Just hope there's enough water in the lake to float a boat. They purposely dropped the water level 7 feet below full pool to do some dam repairs. Since it's only fed with creek tributaries, I don't see any way it's going to come up much between now and our April trip. Would not surprise me if it takes a couple years to recover. It's so flat there, the lake has very little water shed and only get's what falls directly into it and from the small creeks that feed it. Pretty depressing to see it this low. Wish they had done this last summer so it would have had time to recover some.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    It typically is that time of year. We have been going first of April for several years now. Just hope there's enough water in the lake to float a boat. They purposely dropped the water level 7 feet below full pool to do some dam repairs. Since it's only fed with creek tributaries, I don't see any way it's going to come up much between now and our April trip. Would not surprise me if it takes a couple years to recover. It's so flat there, the lake has very little water shed and only get's what falls directly into it and from the small creeks that feed it. Pretty depressing to see it this low. Wish they had done this last summer so it would have had time to recover some.
    That lake can catch water overnight with a couple inches of rain. It rains in that area as much or more than any area in Texas and runoff is excellent. I’ve seen it three ft low and catch a 2-3inch rain and it fill up and they have to open the gates to keep water out of our yards. All it needs is to rain but th best thing for it is to stay low, let some new growth begin on the bare shorelines then come up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Welp, got reservations for the The week of April 10th. Hope this is a good time to catch some big fish.
    We have been to Fork in April before and it was good fishing. Lots of big bass were caught shallow. Not sure what water level will be in April this year or how that might change the way you fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    That lake can catch water overnight with a couple inches of rain. It rains in that area as much or more than any area in Texas and runoff is excellent. I’ve seen it three ft low and catch a 2-3inch rain and it fill up and they have to open the gates to keep water out of our yards. All it needs is to rain but th best thing for it is to stay low, let some new growth begin on the bare shorelines then come up.
    That is good to hear. As flat as it is, I am surprised to hear that it get's a lot of runoff. Our lakes here in KY like Barkley and Kentucky being fed by a major river have no issues recovering with one rain storm. I was just thinking thinking that Fork, being that it's located in such a flat area, plus the feeders being only creeks, it would have more trouble recovering. It will be interesting to see how much if any it recovers between now and April.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    That is good to hear. As flat as it is, I am surprised to hear that it get's a lot of runoff. Our lakes here in KY like Barkley and Kentucky being fed by a major river have no issues recovering with one rain storm. I was just thinking thinking that Fork, being that it's located in such a flat area, plus the feeders being only creeks, it would have more trouble recovering. It will be interesting to see how much if any it recovers between now and April.
    Best thing for it is to stay low for a year or more, get some new growth then catch water. You don’t need a major river to replenish a lake, need the right kind of rain.