Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I havent shot them all, but have spent time with tikkas (I own 2, brother has 1), kimber (wood 84m and their low end plastic stocked model), browning xbt and abolt, reminton 700’s in various configurations and vintages, savages, mossberg, winchester (newer 70lightweight and older model 70’s), a couple bergaras, a Fix, several rpr’s, as well as several of the semi-custom 700-clone actions (deviant, origin, etc). Very few have been dogs, although some were really finicky about ammo. The kimbers are the only ones Ive actually had problems with. All of the above would shoot sub-moa 3-shot groups at least once in a while with the right ammo. Personally I think one good 3-shot group is somewhat worthless b/c I havent run into more than a handful of rifles that didnt shoot under an inch every 3rd or fourth group. I put a lot more faith in 5 shot groups. Want to brag about a rifle online, then show me 2 consecutive 10-shot groups—that’ll give you a real sense of how that rifle shoots on average.

Personally Id just pick 3 or 4 of the brands everyone mentions that are in your price range and go somewhere you can handle them, and buy based on how it fits you and how it feels. I really like a detachable
    Box magazine and a smooth bolt throw as well as a reasonable amount of aftermarket options, so outside the semi-customs I have leaned toward the tikkas and been happy with them. Remington 700 and the clone actions are the king of aftermarket options, although the Remington guns over the last 10 or 15 years have been pretty darn inconsistent. again its hard to go wrong with any of them, especially if you put some effort into finding ammo that your individual gun likes.

2. Member
    Hands down for me is my ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. My next best is a Savage in .243. IMG_20181227_114155323.jpg this is the 6.5 at 300 yards. 10 rounds and the 3 on the IMG_20181227_114155323.jpgtop were my fault. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Hands down for me is my ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. My next best is a Savage in .243. IMG_20181227_114155323.jpg this is the 6.5 at 300 yards. 10 rounds and the 3 on the IMG_20181227_114155323.jpgtop were my fault. Cj
    To quote John Wayne, “That’s good shootin’.”

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Cooper
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Most any of the major manufacturer’s rifles can be made to shoot accurately. Ammo is the biggest variable. A good hand loader can tune a load to the specific firearm. I have Ruger, Savage, and Tikka rifles that will shoot 1/2” groups @ 100 yards with quality ammo.

Attachment 472877

This is a three shot group @ 100 out of my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. Ammo is a semi-custom round shooting Hornady 143 grain ELD-X bullets.
    Agree, most any new deer rifle today gives more than enough accuracy to kill deer. Groups of 3" are sufficient provided you wait for a good shot and avoid risky ones. Pick a proven caliber that delivers a lot of energy, break it in right, practice and fill your freezer.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

6. Member
    I have found that most over the counter Rifle`s will shoot true. Spend your $ on a good Scope. You can`t hit what you can`t see.

Tikka T3 are tack drivers. If you want to save a few bucks, the Ruger American is a very good shooting rifle. Might also want to check out Bergara. They are known for their barrels and are making rifles as well. That’s what my next rifle will be.

8. Member
    Lots of good opinions here, the best shooting “budget” gun I have is a Thompson Center venture in .204 ruger. Super fun gun to shoot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12