Thread: Merc Blackmax

Merc Blackmax

Hey y’all new to the forum, buying my first boat this weekend. It’s not much but it floats and will be something for me to learn on. It’s a ‘88 Skeeter Starfire with a 89’ 175 Blackmax that needs some work. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for some literature on the motor as I am having some trouble finding much info (probably because it’s 33yrs old). After I figure out the low compression issue in cylinder #5, I plan to rip out the oil injection. Just wondering if I can pick someone’s brain for the do’s and don’ts on this motor to keep it running until I can get something newer. I’m a gear head and I love to rip into things, for all I know this thing may have a hole in the block and it’s a paperweight.

Thanks in advance, stay safe and have fun.

2. Banned
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

Moving your post over to the 2.0/2.4/2.5L forum.

I would suggest providing the engine serial number, and then obtaining an OEM Mercury Service Manual as the two most important steps.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor