18V Milwaulkee or 20V Dewault to Fish Finder Adapter - SEELITE

HI there,

So I was made aware of the Seelite SeeFish 18V Milwaukee adapter by this forum.
    I am no battery expert and didnt even know these existed.

I have 2 9ah, 2 6ah, and some other milwaukee 18v batteries for my tools.

Is there really no risk to hooking these batteries up directly to your units?
    18 and 20 volts wont cause any problems with the 12 volts these units prefer?
    Is there some sort of converter you are SUPPOSED to use? Anyone have a link to a preferred voltage reducer if you should use one.

Who out here is currently using no voltage reducer, how long, and have you fried a unit? I dont see how 18 or 20 volts going to these devices is healthy.

I see guys on youtube hooking their live scope directly to these batteries, and the machines are showing 20volts of power.
    I would consider using something like this in the future I just want to make sure I dont fry something.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

I ran 20 volt Milwaukee batteries on my LiveScope for several months without a problem.
    this pic is a screen shot from Amped Outdoors and reveals the recommended voltage ranges for Garmin units. I had to cut off the headings to get the LiveScope into the pic but you can tell the first column is voltage range.
    I suggest you visit the Amped Outdoors website for complete voltage and amperage ranges for all brands.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Thanks! I would only be looking to do this for a garmin LS.
    not pulling trigger on anything yet though I have a 31 dedicated to my helix units
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

So, I have to ask again. Why chose cordless tool batteries over a true marine lithium battery? A 20v-5ah Dewalt battery weighs 1.4lbs. I don’t know how many you would need for a long day, but we’ll say on average you carry 2-3. That’s 3.0 - 4.5lbs. By comparison, an Amped 19ah battery weighs just under 3lbs ($169.00). A 30ah tall battery weighs just more 6.7lbs ($189.00). Negligible weight savings.
    You can buy aftermarket batteries cheap, but branded 20v-5ah batteries cost upwards of $150.00 per pair. No real cost advantage if you factor in the necessary adapter. And cordless tool batteries don’t have near the charge/discharge cycles that a purposely designed marine battery does. At least not in my experience (and over the life of dozens of DeWalt batteries).
    So, what are the pros/cons of going the DeWalt battery and SeeFish adapter vs. a marine lithium battery?
    I’m asking in preparation for installing Livescope and dedicated unit up front with its own power supply.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    So, I have to ask again. Why chose cordless tool batteries over a true marine lithium battery? A 20v-5ah Dewalt battery weighs 1.4lbs. I don’t know how many you would need for a long day, but we’ll say on average you carry 2-3. That’s 3.0 - 4.5lbs. By comparison, an Amped 19ah battery weighs just under 3lbs ($169.00). A 30ah tall battery weighs just more 6.7lbs ($189.00). Negligible weight savings.
    You can buy aftermarket batteries cheap, but branded 20v-5ah batteries cost upwards of $150.00 per pair. No real cost advantage if you factor in the necessary adapter. And cordless tool batteries don’t have near the charge/discharge cycles that a purposely designed marine battery does. At least not in my experience (and over the life of dozens of DeWalt batteries).
    So, what are the pros/cons of going the DeWalt battery and SeeFish adapter vs. a marine lithium battery?
    I’m asking in preparation for installing Livescope and dedicated unit up front with its own power supply.
    Because I already have 6 Milwaulkee battereis, two being 9ah.
    I also figured i'd learn as well and save the money ;)
    So for $45 i have a separate power supply and guys online say a 9ah lasts them 7 or 8 hours of fishing, i rarely fish longer than that.....
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    We use the Amazon adapter and run Milwaukee batteries

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    Because I already have 6 Milwaulkee battereis, two being 9ah.
    I also figured i'd learn as well and save the money ;)
    So for $45 i have a separate power supply and guys online say a 9ah lasts them 7 or 8 hours of fishing, i rarely fish longer than that.....
    I have quite a few Dewalt batteries I could use. Again, I was wondering how using them with LiveScope would affect their lifespan. They can’t take near the charge cycles of a purpose specific lithium battery.
    Just a question. Either way will work.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Banned
    I have quite a few Dewalt batteries I could use. Again, I was wondering how using them with LiveScope would affect their lifespan. They can’t take near the charge cycles of a purpose specific lithium battery.
    I have been using my Milwaukee batteries for about 3 months and everthing good so far..

9. Member
    Why would the power tool batteries have less charge cycles than a purpose specific lithium battery? Both are using the same lithium technology and possibly the same cells right? I have several milwaukee batteries at work that are fully discharged & recharged daily. Some are going on 7-8 years old and still work great. Seems like if you have a bunch of power tool batteries sitting around, it would save a bunch of money on batteries and a charger.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    We use the Amazon adapter and run Milwaukee batteries
    does this have the regulator built in ?

If you are thinking of a voltage regulator, there is not one, this is just a connector. You have to be sure that the voltage rating for the battery does not exceed the max allowable for the unit you are plugging into.
    I prefer the adapter shown in this pic because it is fused and has two connectors. I bought it on Amazon.
    I used the items shown in this pic on my LiveScope until I upgraded to a 30AH lithium battery. I have everything shown for sale for $40 plus shipping if you are interested.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldtnick View Post
    Why would the power tool batteries have less charge cycles than a purpose specific lithium battery? Both are using the same lithium technology and possibly the same cells right? I have several milwaukee batteries at work that are fully discharged & recharged daily. Some are going on 7-8 years old and still work great. Seems like if you have a bunch of power tool batteries sitting around, it would save a bunch of money on batteries and a charger.
    There are several different technologies/chemistry's used in small portable Lithium batteries. Different voltages, different cycle lives and different power. They also have specific chargers. You can't lump them all together. Fires can happen. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go