Late Season Success?

Who here has killed a mature (4+ year old) buck in December? Certain times of month better or weather pre / post front provide better opportunities? Have sets over food (rye, oats, wheat, radishes, peas) and in staging areas. How early to get in to stand late season?

2. Member
    I hang it up at the end of Nov. but if I really wanted to tag one, it would be easy if we have snow on the ground. Just cut 2-3 white cedar trees every couple of days. I'd go early and bundle up for the long sit. They'll be all over it, esp. mid-morning if it's cold. You're a little south of us so results may vary.

I love hunting the late season, most people have thrown the towel in and I have the woods all to myself. I have muzzleloadered some big boys in December and Arrowed some bigguns in late December/early Jan.

It needs to be cold, our last week of muzzleloader season (next week) is going to be in the 50's no good. Hoping for bitter cold before and after Christmas for late archery.

Dad killed this good one 5 1/2-6 1/2 yr old Dec 2 this year.

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have done well the week before Christmas. Been seeing some good bucks now, but put an arrow through a ten point a few weeks ago and KY is a one buck state so they are safe from me.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I love hunting the late season, most people have thrown the towel in and I have the woods all to myself. I have muzzleloadered some big boys in December and Arrowed some bigguns in late December/early Jan.
    +1, starting to enjoy it more as well. Great to hear!

2nd biggest buck I ever killed was the week of Christmas during the "second rut".

He was walking through a thicket on a fence line, jumped the fence and was about to be out of my sight. I hit the grunt call, he threw his head up and started looking around. I hit the grunt call again, he jumped back over the fence, put his head down and immediately started coming at me. Shot him with a muzzleloader about 15 yards away before he came under my stand.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO