Thread: Drills

Drills

Looking get myself set up with a drill auger. I just don't know what drill to get. Looking for some suggestions on model numbers on drills that work well for augers.

2. Member
    I have a DeWalt Brushless 20V hammer drill with a couple batteries and using the K drill auger. A lot of guys use Milwaukee's but I already had other DeWalts . The important part is that it is brushless.

3. Member
    I have been running a Makita Brushless drill for seven years now and it hasn't shown any signs of letting up. The only thing I don't like about the Makita is the batteries, their big ones are 5 or 6 ah batteries whereas in a Dewalt or Milwaukee you can get much bigger batteries for many more holes on a battery. I just carry extras with me, one day of prefishing for a very tough tournament I went thru 4x 3ah batteries and 2x 4ah batteries. That said we drilled a TON of holes and the next day I went didn't even go thru one 4ah battery and we took second in the tourney and got the big fish too.

If I had Milwaukee, I coulda had two 12ah batteries instead of 6, and done the same amount of damage.

4. Member
    I use the Kobalt Brushless Hammerdrill with a 8" Lite-Flite and have been more than impressed.

5. Member
    Most of the main line drills are comparable in performance, really comes down to if you already have and batteries/tools for a certain brand. 18/20V get at least 5ah batteries, and a brushless drill. I never need a second battery but always have one in my fishing bag. I have the drill attachment for my lazor hand auger and it works well. If you get the attachment make sure you buy the disk that keeps the auger from going through if the Chuck slips. Also, I like one that has a handle attachment for the drill, two hands just helps with the torque.
    I use Makita as I have a bunch of their tools/batteries but I’ve used all the main brands.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Milwaukee fuel brushless with 9AH 18 volt battery is a great setup. I have it matched with an 8" kDrill and the battery has lasted me all day on the ice.

Going on season 5 with the M18 fuel. Guide trips, tournaments, all over the Midwest, drilling holes 3+ days a week for usually 3 months out of the year, frozen solid, ran over by my atv, dropped many times, soaked many times and it's still going strong! I have mostly just used my 6" Lazer that I bought in 1996 until this year when I upgraded to a 6" Razr. I went with the Razr because they built strike master from 96 to 2012. They added a center point and changed the pitch slightly for higher speed use with a drill. Regular strike master Lazer blades work with it as well.