2012 nitro z7 Merc 150 four stroke

I’ve seen a lot of post about nitro boats with the same issues I’ve had so I would like to share my story and where I stand with the boat now. I bought the boat used never test drove before I purchased my mistake. I took the boat out 1st time didn’t think it would ever get on plane. The boat just plowed wouldn’t get on pad. Added 6” manual jack plate helped a little not much. Was aggravated took boat to local shop discovered hooked hull found out this wasn’t uncommon this year in the z7. Wasn’t under warranty due to I was 3rd owner so I moved forward with fixing the hook total was 3,000 bucks. Finally got my boat back and the results were amazing was running 56 on gps with 2 people and loaded. Was happy with everything thing but hole shot was running 23 pitch tempest which I had progressive pitch put in blades helped but was still slow on hole shot. Did some heavy research on props and ended up buying a bravo 1 FS 23 pitch and this prop put a smile on my face. My results from this prop was crazy hole shot excellent mid to top end 54mph loaded 2 people 5500rpm. I’m extremely happy with everything I’ve done so for the only item left is wish I could get more trim the 20degrees that the set up allows just don’t seem to be enough. I’m currently debating on 2 degree positive trim transom wedges anyone ever installed wedges.

2. Member
    I test drove a Z7 once and it also had a horrible hole shot. If I would've bought it I was gonna put a hydofoil on it.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

3. Member
    Christopher, I am messing with a Tempest Plus and a Bravo 1 FS on my 2021 Ranger RT198P pad hull aluminum right now. I also have the Merc 150 4S with 1.92:1 ratio 4.75" gear. Please share what height you run your Bravo 1 FS? What motor mounting hole, where that puts your prop to pad, cav plate and importantly where you think the prop is with respect to water surface when trimmed out at high RPM? Is it surfacing? Thanks.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 12-09-2021 at 07:41 AM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

4. Member
    My cavitation plate to pad is 2 1/4 motor is very top hole on bracket I’ll pull some measurements and see where prop is when trimmed to the 20 degrees that it maxes out and reply back