Chick Water Temps around Jan 1st

We are thinking about coming down to Chick for the New Years weekend.
    Anyone know historical water temps around this time? (or have guess where temps will be in a couple weeks?)

Only been there once before, and the last trip was during Early October 2020 (launched out of Chester Frost Park).
    Back then, we caught em then on main channel grass edges.

I've heard the lake will be drawn down in Dec/Jan. Any general areas we should start looking? Any places to avoid due to safety at these water levels?

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan W.
    Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Mercury 250R
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112# iPilot Link
    Garmin GPSMap 1243xsv + 1243xsv @ Helm
    Garmin GPSMap 7616xsv + 1243xsv / Dual Livescope+ @ Bow

Lake is down already, 676'. Water on 12/5 was low to mid 50's. Depends on the weather, high 40's to low 50's (?)

3. Member
    Agree on the water temps as noted above.
    As the lake is at winter pool, I would strongly suggest a map with contour lines that you can set to compensate for the lower water levels.
    You can get into trouble really quickly when water is at this level.
    I would suggest launching at the ramp at the dam, Harrison Bay or Wolftiever.

Appreciate the heads up. I’m running Navionics+ now. Which charts have you found to be accurate? Is the channel marked with bouys ?

thanks!
    -RW
    Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Mercury 250R
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112# iPilot Link
    Garmin GPSMap 1243xsv + 1243xsv @ Helm
    Garmin GPSMap 7616xsv + 1243xsv / Dual Livescope+ @ Bow

5. Member
    The main channel and major creeks all have markers, but the problems arise when out of the channel. If you map has contour lines and you can do a mental (if not on the graph), changes for the lower water you can manage OK. Bottom of winter pool is 7 feet ish below full, so that's the magic number to remember as your maps show full pool levels. I can't stress enough to stay in the channel when running at any speed. Personally, I would stay below the nuclear towers at mid lake, as the water is typically clearer from there to the dam and with the colder water, fish bite better when it's clearer. Just my thoughts.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by judecca View Post
    Is the channel marked with buoys? -RW
    I would not rely solely on the buoy markers as tend tend to move due to extreme weather conditions, boaters anchoring to them, and etc. I run Humminbird Chart Select on mine. Just make sure you offset the lake depth to whatever the winter pool is at that time on your chart system.

7. Member
    As mentioned above, I would advise against blindly running the lake at winter pool levels. Hummingbird lake maps are pretty accurate if you adjust the setting for the lake level. Run with the channel buoys at speed. It happens quick, you cruising on the main channel in the middle of the lake, your watching the scenery, chatting with your buddy, lose track of the buoys and quickly you can find yourself in very shallow water. Keep an eye on your maps and stay between the buoys when running fast and you'll be fine. Chester Frost ramp is ok at winter pool too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    As mentioned above, I would advise against blindly running the lake at winter pool levels. Hummingbird lake maps are pretty accurate if you adjust the setting for the lake level. Run with the channel buoys at speed. It happens quick, you cruising on the main channel in the middle of the lake, your watching the scenery, chatting with your buddy, lose track of the buoys and quickly you can find yourself in very shallow water. Keep an eye on your maps and stay between the buoys when running fast and you'll be fine. Chester Frost ramp is ok at winter pool too.
    Used to be one "side" was much better than the other. When the ramps were re worked, are both sides OK to use now?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliefan2 View Post
    Lake is down already, 676'. Water on 12/5 was low to mid 50's. Depends on the weather, high 40's to low 50's (?)
    Did you mean "6-7 feet"... otherwise this is deepest lake across the Big Pond from Lochness!

Lol.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Did you mean "6-7 feet"... otherwise this is deepest lake across the Big Pond from Lochness!

Lol.
    The 676' referenced is the height above sea level. The lake depths were mapped at summer pool, so when the lake is full in the summer the water level at the dam is 682.25 feet above sea level. When they pull the lake down in the winter to ~676' feet above sea level, your charts are going to be a little over 6 feet off. So a main river bar that is 8-10 feet deep in the summer, and on your maps, is actually only 2-4 feet deep at winter pool. Charts with mapping software that allow you to offset for this change, and/or at least add shading help you navigate the lake quickly during the winter. There are many shallow river bars on the chick, and even a shallow hump in the middle of Chester Frost Park across from the boat ramp heading to the main river.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlippinManiac View Post
    The 676' referenced is the height above sea level. The lake depths were mapped at summer pool, so when the lake is full in the summer the water level at the dam is 682.25 feet above sea level. When they pull the lake down in the winter to ~676' feet above sea level, your charts are going to be a little over 6 feet off. So a main river bar that is 8-10 feet deep in the summer, and on your maps, is actually only 2-4 feet deep at winter pool. Charts with mapping software that allow you to offset for this change, and/or at least add shading help you navigate the lake quickly during the winter. There are many shallow river bars on the chick, and even a shallow hump in the middle of Chester Frost Park across from the boat ramp heading to the main river.
    Ah, perfecto! Thanks for enlightening me...makes sense 100% now.

12. Member
    I can't say for sure, it's been quiet a while since I've put in on the north side of the river. I live about 5 mins from Harrison bay so I generally put in there. But I know they use Chester frost at winter level.
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Used to be one "side" was much better than the other. When the ramps were re worked, are both sides OK to use now?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    I can't say for sure, it's been quiet a while since I've put in on the north side of the river. I live about 5 mins from Harrison bay so I generally put in there. But I know they use Chester frost at winter level.
    They fixed the drop off, however, use caution when loading/unloading at winter pool. There is a rock pile from prop wash that you can hit with your lower unit if your motor is too low.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com