115 Mercury Pro XS Helm fuse blown

<2B808765>

I was moving to my last spot for the day at about 5,000 rpm and motor just shuts down. Scared me for a minute!
    I did a quick evaluation and i have no power to my ignition or gauges. I’m sure I have a blown fuse at this point. Unfotunately I can’t remove the cover of my 115 pro XS on the water. If the tilt would have worked I might have been able to get it off. In any case I put the trolling motor down and made it to the ramp and managed to get the boat on trailer.

I pulled the cover off and the helm fuse was blown. I installed the back up fuse and trimmed the motor up and down with no problem. As soon as I turned the ignition to the on position the breaker popped. I dropped the boat off at my Mercury dealer as they are on my way home. I have no clue at this point. Im sure this has happened to someone before that will have an idea what could cause this.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-08-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Which fuse (specifically) did you replace? DON'T replace it again until the source of the short is determined/located.

Determining which fuse (more specifically, exactly what color wires correlate to that fuse position) is instrumental in being able to determine potential causes.

In some cases, it may be necessary to disconnect the boat's key switch harness, and use a remote switch harness to determine if the problem is inside the cowling, or in the boat's wiring.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Update! Ignition wire under the cowling rubbing against the head of a bolt. Took the tech awhile to figure it out as the motor operated perfect once in the shop.

Note to self. Carry a large screw driver so that I can manually lift the lower unit.

Thanks Don for the insight on trouble shooting the issue.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad you were able to get it resolved.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Carry a large screw driver so that I can manually lift the lower unit.
    100% Yes on the long flat head screw driver!! My Trim motor died couple of months ago, same make and model of your boat and outboard. Only difference mine's a 2019. Lifting an outboard when the trim motor is dead is a real PITA!!!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com