Question Throttle Tension Adjustment?

I have a 1999 Force 120 with side mounted control. If I don’t hold the throttle down the rpms will decrease.

Where can I adjust the tension?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possibly in the control itself. See if you can post a picture of the control that you have in your boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Possibly in the control itself. See if you can post a picture of the control that you have in your boat.

Thanks, it’s telling me the picture is too big to attach but it’s a Quicksilver 3000 Classic side mount control

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Some of the control modules had a friction adjustment on the outside of the module (behind the side panel).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Thanks, it’s telling me the picture is too big to attach but it’s a Quicksilver 3000 Classic side mount control
    Thanks, should I just look for a hole and stick a screwdriver in it?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it is a panel-mount Commander 3000 control, you SHOULD be able to:

-Place control in THROTTLE ONLY

-Move control handle forward to a 45 degree angle (near or just past the detent for forward, or 10-o-clock position)

-Utilizing an allen wrench, locate the friction adjustment screw that faces 180 degrees off from the handle (4 o-clock position)

-Carefully tighten the friction adjustment screw a little at a time to achieve the desired handle tension.

The friction screw tightens down on the handle bushing (bushing must be present and in good condition for this to work).

Hope this helps... we don't mess with many of this control series anymore.

7. Member
    Ill take a look tonight thanks

941630C2-1630-4F05-BA7D-CAA36E3CAA0D.jpeg

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's the one Post#6 applies to.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If it is a panel-mount Commander 3000 control, you SHOULD be able to:

-Place control in THROTTLE ONLY

-Move control handle forward to a 45 degree angle (near or just past the detent for forward, or 10-o-clock position)

-Utilizing an allen wrench, locate the friction adjustment screw that faces 180 degrees off from the handle (4 o-clock position)

-Carefully tighten the friction adjustment screw a little at a time to achieve the desired handle tension.

The friction screw tightens down on the handle bushing (bushing must be present and in good condition for this to work).

Hope this helps... we don't mess with many of this control series anymore.
    I dont see anyplace to insert an Allen wrench
    Last edited by SaltyDog; 12-10-2021 at 03:53 PM.

10. Member
    I found it thanks!!!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're welcome