HDS Carbon Issues

I am getting no where with Lowrance CS and repairs on my HDS Carbon Gen 3 unit. It has an internal intermittent power issue. Unit turns off and then have trouble getting it to come back on. Suggestions on who or where to send for repairs. this unit is no longer under warranty. Send IM/PM. thanks for the help

2. Member
    Is it a Carbon or a Gen 3? Really nobody including Lowrance will repair it. If it’s still under warranty, Lowrance will replace it. If not under warranty, they will sometimes offer a discount on a comparable unit.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Carbon and Gen 3 are different units

4. Member
    Just going to throw this out there in case you haven't thought of it...

I had the same issue when I ran my units off of my engine cranking battery. The battery always had plenty of juice to start the motor and I always kept my batteries on a charger/maintainer when parked at home, so I assumed the battery was fine. Well my HDS8 Gen2 would just randomly shut itself off. I would try turning it back on and the screen would flash then go off. Thought my fishfinder was junk, as I was also running an older 522 for mapping and had 0 issues with it. I finally ended up checking the voltage on my battery and found it was junk. Would not hold 12 volts for any length of time, yet I could start my motor and run my other fishfinder. Replaced the battery and problem went away.

I would also go over the connections on both ends of your power cable.

5. Member
    you are correct it is a Gen3.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjo View Post
    Just going to throw this out there in case you haven't thought of it...

I had the same issue when I ran my units off of my engine cranking battery. The battery always had plenty of juice to start the motor and I always kept my batteries on a charger/maintainer when parked at home, so I assumed the battery was fine. Well my HDS8 Gen2 would just randomly shut itself off. I would try turning it back on and the screen would flash then go off. Thought my fishfinder was junk, as I was also running an older 522 for mapping and had 0 issues with it. I finally ended up checking the voltage on my battery and found it was junk. Would not hold 12 volts for any length of time, yet I could start my motor and run my other fishfinder. Replaced the battery and problem went away

I would also go over the connections on both ends of your power cable.
    Thanks for the info and yes i have checked Voltage and redid all connections. Thanks for the input

7. Member
    If you are certain your power source is up to speed then try the following.

Check the fuse for corrosion. If it is a glass tube fuse make sure the spring is keeping contact.

Does the power button feel like it is working properly?

Have you done a hard reset? If not, save your waypoints and do a hard reset. Fixes many problems. First make sure you are running the latest software. Do not save your settings because you may save the problem

I would try your Gen 3 on someone else's boat or in your home on a power converter.
    ciao,
    Marc

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    If you are certain your power source is up to speed then try the following.

Check the fuse for corrosion. If it is a glass tube fuse make sure the spring is keeping contact.

Does the power button feel like it is working properly?

Have you done a hard reset? If not, save your waypoints and do a hard reset. Fixes many problems. First make sure you are running the latest software. Do not save your settings because you may save the problem

I would try your Gen 3 on someone else's boat or in your home on a power converter.

thanks for the info. what is the best way to do the hard reset?

9. Member
    Check the sticky posts in this forum. There are detailed instructions.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175