Thread: Northeast Wind

Northeast Wind

If you look at the weather forecast and see a northeast wind does it effect your decision about going to the lake?
    Or do you just make a change in the way you fish for the day?

I go fishing when I can go fishing, so it wouldn't change my mind about going. That said, given those conditions I'm probably going into the day expecting to have to either force fish to react, or go finesse to coax them into a bite as you're usually dealing with post-frontal conditions with a northeast wind.

To be fair, I think it depends on what time of year it is. Mid fall around here, big cold fronts rolling in often make the bass super aggressive. Some of my best days on topwater and reaction baits have come when lots of people probably woke up and decided to stay home instead of going out and fighting the cold during a time when it seems like the fish won't be biting.

One of my favorite sayings is one I heard from an old timer when I was a kid first getting into tournament fishing with my dad: Sometimes the fish forget to read the book!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I agree with Drew. If I have the opportunity to go, I’m going

4. Member
    Only thing wind decides for me is what lake I go to so it’s easier to launch. I’ve had some of my best days when launching the boat wondering if it’s going to be fish able out there. I fish when I get a chance not when the weather is good
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

One of my favorite sayings is one I heard from an old timer when I was a kid first getting into tournament fishing with my dad: Sometimes the fish forget to read the book!
    Laughed at this, I used to hunt with a buddy who was a complete guru of turkey calling, and hunting. Many calling championships. He said he bought every turkey hunting book he could find, and put them in in the woods, in hopes the damn birds would read them........

I fish in all wind, I pay attention and try to understand how to fish in those conditions. So a NE wind, go and figure it out!

6. Member
    I have accumulated a list of long/narrow bodies of water in Minnesota. Some are North/South, some are East/West, some diagonal. If I get a day to go, I go.. and if the wind is over 15 mph, the night before I decide which lake to go to depending on wind direction if possible. Ha, then it usually changes on the way to the ramp but that's fishing'...

7. Member
    I do the same. When I want to go fishing I go. Where I live, Northeasts is better than just East. I fish a lot of rivers and an east wind is opposite to current so it's not real pleasant. You get those real choppy waves. Usually fish bite better with a West, South or even North wind.

8. Member
    I started tracking all my fish catches on my most visited lake 5 years ago. Early spring here in WI I find an incredible spinnerbait bite on the west end of the lake during a 15 mph east wind. I freeze, but I have had multiple 5 lb fish days during this specific weather pattern and what is even crazier is how close the days are to each other each year.

I don't get a ton of time to fish these days so I go no matter what the weather or wind direction is.

9. Member
    Maybe because I live in FL if it’s a NE cold wind boat is staying in garage and I’m going to indoor gun range.

10. Member
    Wind speed and boat control is important
    when a weather pattern is broke by severe shift in wind direction it can be tough the first day after front
    but I have seen two days after the front and still blowing post front direction that the bite sets up nicely
    so this has lead me to believe that a constant wind direction is the key

11. Member
    I just recently had one of my best days on the water post frontal ne wind. On my way to the lake the ne wind was in my head but the fish were chewing! Go fish

12. Member
    I fish when I can. Planning to fish Monday and maybe Tuesday. Wind direction will not interfere with my fishing. Learning how to deal with wind is just part of fishing.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin