Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The wind arrived around midnight in central Iowa last night with gusts to 55 mph. The temp has gradually been dropping all day today and is forecast to hit 12 F. Considering how warm it was over the weekend, this is a real slap in the face and a dose of reality.

2. Member
    Been on Superior in 12-14' and when the 3 sisters came they were more like 18' and you could see them in the distance. That is when you could feel the captain turn the boat into them [boat was only 80'] and you knew it when you hit them. Bass boat, no h--l no. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    I had to go to Mackinac Island for work a couple weeks ago. Every ferry got canceled except the last one off the island. There was only about 10'ers and I was nervous as hell! Can't imagine what it would be like today.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    I'm guessing the western basin will drop 4-5' before this wind subsides. The flow out the harbor channels and under bridges can be as strong as any tailrace; and then when the wind dies it comes back in just as fast.
    .. I’ve witnessed the current so strong that the froth bubbles off the elbows, in the eddies and slack returns against the rip rap were over three feet high.. nose out just a bit to far with the TM and you’ll do a 180 faster than any 36v motor will spin you.. ask me how I know.. ironically as stacked as the fish get in the slack , they don’t bite well at all.. I always assumed they fed up hard before and into the blow and were hunkered down into survival mode.. one particular day there was so much water pulling from Sandusky bay you could shove your rod in the wand pull it back out and it was entirely covered in green slime that was being sucked off the bottom,and all that it grows on.. mother natures cleanse ..

gives new meaning to if it don’t blow , we don’t go.. there’s a reason a bass boat is often referred to as a Lake Erie casket..

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    "...like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli."

~George Costanza; Marine Biologist
    Who controls John Gill?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    "...like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli."

~George Costanza; Marine Biologist
    You beat me by a few minutes. Came here to post this.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Been on Superior in 12-14' and when the 3 sisters came they were more like 18' and you could see them in the distance. That is when you could feel the captain turn the boat into them [boat was only 80'] and you knew it when you hit them. Bass boat, no h--l no. CJ
    Isle Royal ferry? Only time I've ever been sea sick was on that ferry.

8. Member
    What a lot of folks don’t realize is the 15’ waves they are calling for are actually 30’ from top of the wave to the bottom of the trough.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassDaggett View Post
    What a lot of folks don’t realize is the 15’ waves they are calling for are actually 30’ from top of the wave to the bottom of the trough.
    Yep

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassDaggett View Post
    I thought that was the standard way of measuring waves?

11. Member
    18’ waves must be crazy to see. That means when down in the trough between waves you are looking up 36’ to the peak?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I thought that was the standard way of measuring waves?
    It is but even some on the Great Lakes don’t always understand that.

13. Member
    I bet Randy Blauket and Frank Scalish would say they’d go out there.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I bet Randy Blauket and Frank Scalish would say they’d go out there.
    I've known Frank since we were in the same bass club in the 1980's. Even he isn't that crazy!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I've not seen bigger waves on KY Lake or on Champlain. But, at least with Erie, the waves are big swells (maybe not today at 18 feet, but usually). The waves I've seen on KY Lake and Champlain were only 3'-4', but they were so close together that they were very difficult to navigate. Running smoothly on them was just out of the question.
    ^^^^Truth......throw in a tornado and you're in for a ride.

It's amazing how fast Erie builds those waves. You can get in trouble real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    It's amazing how fast Erie builds those waves. You can get in trouble real quick.
    When I first started going to Erie I remember saying to my buddy, “If it gets any worse than this, we need to go.” I learned the hard way that when you say that, it’s time to go NOW!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    When I first started going to Erie I remember saying to my buddy, “If it gets any worse than this, we need to go.” I learned the hard way that when you say that, it’s time to go NOW!
    I remember back in the day fishing a tournament with Dave in his little blue Ranger and was coming back from Canada. Got to Kelly's island and hit a wave and busted his windshield I almost ended up on the back deck.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    That's wicked
    Not for the BBC crowd! All have fished tournaments in way worse many times!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Isle Royal ferry? Only time I've ever been sea sick was on that ferry.
    Yep! AKA the barf barge. We had 2 little kids sitting with us because their parents we sick at the back. The group of teenagers in the seats in front of us we all big and bad at the dock until we left, then the 4 guys went out to puke and their was no room at the back so they went to the front like the captain told them not to [we told them also, as we are regulars on that boat] so they got a free bath! We got talking to the gals that were with them and found out they were counselors at Camp Tanuga where I live and actually knew them. So needless to say the guys that were saying bring it on were not too happy! And I am sure got reminded a bunch! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast