2001 520 VX Prop Setup

I have a 2001 520 VX dual console with a 2015 225 Pro XS with a 6" manual jackplate running a 24P Tempest Plus. I just switched to all lithium batteries and was trying to figure out where to set prop height. Last time at the lake I was 2 3/4" below pad and until my buddy got in the boat my rpm's were jumping around like the prop was trying to blow once he got in that stopped and I was around 65 to 66 at 6000 rpm. Since I changed to this motor I have had trouble getting on pad and 67 mph is the best I have seen. I am just wondering do I have the right prop and if so where should it be set. I also have 2 talons and 4 12" graphs. Two graphs in the front and 2 at the console. Any help would be appreciated I came from a efi and have never been happy with this motor. It almost feels like it misses every now and then but can't tell if it's just the hull grabbing water. Dealership never found any indication of a miss just had me run a fuel system cleaner through it.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    That boat was never fast with 70 being about the best it would do with the 225. With all the weight you have added with the Talons and 4 screens catching air 67 would be real good. It was a great fishing boat but its heavy and slower than most boats of the time. You may need to have that prop checked even if it's new as the even number Tempests usually need some work. Does it carry the bow or does it bounce a little when your running? If it was trying to blow out your too high prop to pad causing the prop to slip so just drop it down 1/4" and see if that stops it.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 12-06-2021 at 09:28 PM.

3. Member
    So I am struggling with bow lift, it just seems like it will not lift enough to get the front of the hull out of the water.

4. Member
    I'd put a Bravo xs on it probably a 25" and set the motor at 3.5 inches under to start and start raising it 1/4" at a time until it gains rpm's but not speed, loses bow lift or water pressure. As I said before it needs to be under 3" prop to pad.

5. Member
    Ok thank you for the suggestions I have dropped it another 3/16" but haven't got to go back to the lake yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    I'd put a Bravo xs on it probably a 25" and set the motor at 3.5 inches under to start and start raising it 1/4" at a time until it gains rpm's but not speed, loses bow lift or water pressure. As I said before it needs to be under 3" prop to pad.
    + 1
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Where are you running it Lake Anna or Kerr

8. Member
    Mainly at Claytor and Smith.

9. Member
    Bravos run higher than Tempest. Best bow lift for any Ranger is a worked Tempest to add trailing edge cup, fought that for a long time. actually dropped in pitch, thinned blades, added cup, got my rpms up to max on my 250 pro xs, and gained speed. Now, I run a Z521L, so a bit different hull, with a 250 Pro XS. Gave up on Bravo 1 XS 25, too slow and mediocre hole shot. Tried Fury 3 and 4s, they were no good, 4 was better and faster than 3, but none acceptable with crappy hole shots. Wound up with a Tempest Plus 21, blueprinted and quite a bit of cup, went from 5700 to 6100 rpm, and 60 mph to 67 mph. P to P is now about 2", and with Hyd jack plate, I have monkeyed around with motor height a lot. Bravo ran best at 1.5" p to p. Great bow lift now, 1 or 4 anglers, no differences, except just a little slower. With 3, and livewell full, about 63 mph. Send your prop and get it worked, and matched to your boat performance, all the difference in the world.

10. Member
    Who would you recommend to send my prop to? I have never had one worked on what type of information do they need to decide how to set it up?

11. Member
    Propeller Dynamics in Virginia.

12. Member
    It's never going to have great bow lift it's just too heavy in the bow and a 225 just doesn't have enough power to lift the hull.

I have the same boat but with a Etec . The fury 3 blade 25 pitch or original bravo one 24 is the best prop I have tested.

14. Member
    Do you know what you know what your pad to prop center measurement is parkj5. I am still playing with getting mine set where I am happy after changing to lithium batteries.