Mercury 225 ProXS Vent & Fill Screws

225 ProXS (3.0L DFI)
    1B389391

I drained my gear lube. In doing so I found that both seals (Vent & Fill screws) were worn. My objective is to replace these seals.(see attached)

Both my Vent & Fill screws look identical. Should they be the same? I don't believe so...

In looking at the parts catalog at Mercury, looks like the Fill Screw has a small extended stem, and magnetic. I understand why as it collects the fine metal particles.

In both cases the parts catalog displays a KIT (Screw + Seal) and a Seal. I want to confirm parts to order.

1. Am I correct? For the Vent Screw. The one I have looks accurate, so I only need the SEAL #191833. And not the SCREW KIT 79953Q2. The seal included in the SCREW KIT is the191833, there is not an additional seal.

2. Am I correct? For the Fill Screw. The one I have is NOT correct, so I should purchase the PLUG KIT Drain- Magnetic #67892A06. And the seal which is included here is the only seal I need.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Magnet goes on the bottom

Not all lowers come with the extended magnet fill plug. I have had 2 lowers from the factory and neither had the extended magnet fill screw. I'm not sure which get it but I'm sure Don can elaborate.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^

Don has posted here before to stay with what it came with because there is a risk of "component interference" if the lower wasn't designed for the magnetic plug. Mine doesn't have them either. Keep up with the recommended lube interval and you should be fine.

Those yellow seals, unlike the blue fiber ones, can be reused at least once if they are in good condition. If you have any doubt, replace them.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Seal part number is 830749. Same seal for both.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks guys! Don....should stay with the same 2 screws? And not use a magnetic in the lower?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Provided that you still have the same Gen-1 TM gearcase (ie: It has not been replaced), you can use Part# 8M0058389 in the DRAIN position (which is the latest superseded part number for the Magnetic Drain Screw that originally came in your gearcase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor