Heading Sensor Issues

Have 15” & 12” Solix at console and 15” Solix at bow. Gps antenna with heading sensor at bow and antenna with heading sensor at transom. “Auto-Configure” for all GPS sources and Heading turned Off. I want console units to have gps source and heading from transom and bow unit to have gps and heading source from bow antenna. I know it’s not necessary to have a heading sensor at bow and stern but someone gave it to me so I replaced my “regular” bow antenna for the HS version. I was able to get console units to use stern gps & bow unit to use bow gps. I could not get the units to use separate heading sources. Each heading sensor plus my Ultrex heading sensor show up in the menu. If I set any unit to a particular heading sensor, it forced all my units to use that same HS. I could not get the units to use separate heading sensors. Is that the way it is designed or am I missing a setting that enables me to use different heading sensors? I turned off a bunch of “Global” settings but that didn’t work either. Just checking to see if it’s possible. Thanks
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

2. Member
    Turn off more global settings. I will try and find which specific one, but hopefully Wayne will tell you without looking it up, Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

A SOLIX will use Heading separate from GPS.
    With a SOLIX, the Heading Sensor will be any one of the three sources to provide Heading, there can be only one used on the network. So the other two are irrelevant. Forward is forward from any location on the boat.

It's the GPS source you have to assign to each unit. You select which antenna as the GPS 1 in each unit's network menu. The smart choice is iPilot LINK for the bow unit and transom antenna for the console unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    I would have gone blind looking. Thanks Wayne
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Thanks Wayne, I appreciate it. That’s what I was somewhat suspecting since I was able to choose different gps sources but I just wasn’t sure. I guess I have 2 backup heading sensor sources if one of the heading sensors goes out. Bob, I wasn’t going blind looking for the “correct” global to turn off but I was definitely going crazy looking for it. Thanks again.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

6. Member
    FWIW..I have a similar setup and needlessly put an as gps hs on my bow with 1 already on the stern..Wayne set me straight on all this heading stuff after the fact. I learned at that time that the ultrex has an internal gps and I now use that exclusively to mark waypoints with on the bow and it works beautifully...with my built in mdi directly underneath hard to get any more accurate than that. I use the puck at the transom to control heading for both solixes as well. Butttt,, I do have a backup puck now in case my transom puck takes a dump while otw.