Trailer question

OK guys...need your input...THIS IS NOT A BASHING OF ANY PRODUCTS OR TRAILER MFGS!!! I have a Caymas CX 21 with a Marine Master dual axle trailer. I finally figured how far to back to load..or better yet how far not to back. I've noticed that my black bottom is forming white marks from the middle bunks. I believe is from my lack of learning curve on loading. I think it will be fairly easy to get the marks off. So, the question is - have you guys experienced the same?? I've researched several products to replace the bunk boards (Ultimate Bunk, Tuff Bunks, GatorBak Bunks and of course replace the carpet with heavier carpet) The best two options seem to be GatorBak which is a rubber/channeled product that covers the boards or heavier carpet as the other two options are merely a coating on the 2X4's and offers no cushion. Pictures of the Ultimate and Tuff options show gaps between the boat and boards as well as deep scratches.

I'm scheduled to have Marine Master work on my trailer in January to install a new axle so I have dual disc brakes (Thanks Caymas Rodney for the advice) and was going to ask them to install GatorBak or a heavier carpet and possibly buff out the marks since they will have my boat off the trailer.

On a side note - I did apply Dawn liquid soap to the bunks and it did load much easier. PS I always keep the boat attached until I'm at the waters edge....lol. I've seen boats off the trailer short of the water.

Thoughts???

thanks in advance

It's Just how black bottoms are on all brands. I can't help beyond that statement though
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Banned
    yeah, the bottom is going to get scratched up where the bunks are. Nothing you can do about that.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have a MM trailer under my Phoenix 619 (black bottom) and have the same scuff marks from load....i replaced carpet with Gatorbaks and still scuffs them up.....hell, i dont worry about it, i just go fishing.....if i would try to keep the boat polished up like a diamond, i'd never go fishing..
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    thanks everyone..I guess I overthink some things...I will inquire to a thicker carpet..

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasTom View Post
    thanks everyone..I guess I overthink some things...I will inquire to a thicker carpet..
    Thicker carpet isn't going to make a difference. When you dunk the trailer in the water, or tow in the rain, that carpet is going to capture dirt and whatever else is floating in the water. That dirt is what becomes abrasive on the hull. With gatorbak's you'll still get scratching from loading and unloading.

7. Member
    I covered my main bunks 5 feet from the aft with Gatorback. I treat my boat like crap, but I will say, the Gatorbacks look great. The back area carpet always got torn, if these Gatorbacks hold up I'll be pleased as punch.
    Marks on the bottom? I can't see as how the fish care much.