Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    the IONIC 100ah has the same BMS as the 125ah fully compatible for use as a cranking battery and no problems disconnecting running 1 or 2 in parallel
    Thanks. I did not know that. I presumed that only the 125AH battery had the capability of being used as a cranking battery.

Are you privy to the part of the BMS that allows the battery to stop receiving current while the motor thinks that the battery is still connected? Inquiring minds, as simple as they may be, want to know.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    the IONIC 100ah has the same BMS as the 125ah fully compatible for use as a cranking battery and no problems disconnecting running 1 or 2 in parallel
    I found at their site where it says that the batteries are good to be used as a Yamaha cranking battery.

Some one needs to inform them that if it is good for a 250 HP Yamaha (presuming it is the VF250LA) then it is good for a VF200LA and a VF225LA Yam since they share the same electrical generation system.

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I found at their site where it says that the batteries are good to be used as a Yamaha cranking battery.

Some one needs to inform them that if it is good for a 250 HP Yamaha (presuming it is the VF250LA) then it is good for a VF200LA and a VF225LA Yam since they share the same electrical generation system.
    Yamaha or no one else is ever going to say that. How can they? The same applies to the Mercury Verado line or for that matter, every single outboard out there.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Yamaha or no one else is ever going to say that. How can they? The same applies to the Mercury Verado line or for that matter, every single outboard out there.
    Yamaha will not say it (for now anyway). But someone else might. Someone already has. To a limited extent anyway.

I was referring to whomever decided that an Ionic 100AH and 125AH battery would work with a VF250LA can also say that the battery will work with a VF200LA and a VF225LA.

Yamaha will not say it (for now anyway). But someone else might. Someone already has. To a limited extent anyway.

I was referring to whomever decided that an Ionic 100AH and 125AH battery would work with a VF250LA can also say that the battery will work with a VF200LA and a VF225LA.

Gotcha. The battery manufacturer said it and likely means it will work with anything. The engine manufacturer will not.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Thanks. I did not know that. I presumed that only the 125AH battery had the capability of being used as a cranking battery.

Are you privy to the part of the BMS that allows the battery to stop receiving current while the motor thinks that the battery is still connected? Inquiring minds, as simple as they may be, want to know.
    I played a part in discussions and testing as this BMS was being created, Yes I have discussed in detail with the Engineer what makes it work but not allowed to discuss due to competitors trying to copy.

we currently have the 100ah on a few Merc 300R 4 strokes

IM running dual 125ah on my 2022 250 SHO, it they love the new charging system
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I will talk to them about the model numbers , they need to also add E-tec/G2 and Suzuki
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    Thank you drew.

9. Member
    I talked to ionic recently because I am having issues with power pole charge on them, but anyways lithiumhub told me they will hit 100% then rest at 99%

10. Member
    Are the IONIC lithiums safe as a cranking battery for older Mercury motors. 1996 200 EFI?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Mike View Post
    Are the IONIC lithiums safe as a cranking battery for older Mercury motors. 1996 200 EFI?
    The 100 AH and 125 AH ones are stated to be so.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Mike View Post
    Is your motor a stator charger or alternator charging system? Don’t know what Ionic says but do know that Mercury only recommends wet cell starting batteries with the stator system. Would a lithium battery work, I’m sure it would but there is a possibility (could be low or high) it could cause problems with the charging system over time.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    All Mercury motors that are designed to recharge a battery use a stator.

Now there are two kinds of stators. One under a flywheel that has embedded permanent magnets. The other is surrounded by electro-magnets.

The first type originally (to me anyway) was known as a Permanent Magnet Generator or a Permanent Magnet Alternator. Somewhere along the line it started being called a stator. Or stater. Or statur. The magnets are turned by the crank shaft turning the fly wheel. The stator is mounted on the block underneath the flywheel magnets.

The second kind is what most of us know of an alternator. Seen in most cars/trucks/light air planes. Electro-magnets being turned on a shaft by a drive belt. The stator surrounds the electro-magnets.

Really does not matter I don't think since Mercury does not approve the use of lithium battery with either of their two type of electrical generation gizmos.

The below may be a waste of band width but maybe it will help someone to better understand what is going on in an outboard motors electrical generation system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12