Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mega Live problem again

Yesterday out fishing a club tournament my Helix I had Live running on froze twice. Had to unplug power from the unit to get it to power down and turn back on. I took Live out of auto mode and it didnt freeze the unit again. Then later Live was frozen and lost comms with the network. This is twice this had happened. Today I unplugged Live from the network, restored defaults on all 3 units, powered everything back on, and my units dont detect it on the network. I let it set for 30 mins or so and it never came up. Very frustrating to spend $1500 on something that doesnt work. Calling Humminbird in the morning. I'm to the point of taking it off my boat and selling it.

2. Member
    Well call hbird, see what they say. Goooood luck :)
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

3. Member
    My live unit was freezing up also , especially moving from location to location , I started turning the ping off and on instead of using the auto shut off feature when raising and deploying the live and I have not had any more freeze ups lately .
    2002 520dvx Ranger
    2014 225 mercury pro xs
    Garmin livescope-126sv ,
    Humminbird 859,
    Garmin 126sv ,
    helix 10 SI
    dual - pro powerpole
    112 ultrex

4. Member
    Have you set your "Installation Depth"? Someone on facebook said that solved his "freezing" problem.

5. Member
    Hey Chuck, If you don't mind a question. How many ethernet hubs do you have?
    If you have a fully populated ethernet hub, maybe you should ask HB about that.
    I have read some post's about guys having to install another hub to solve freezing
    and lost net signal.

6. Member
    I saw on the Humminbird Mega Live FB group that someone contacted HB support about the unit freezing up and they said HB is working on a fix to be released at some point. The post did mention HB recommending not to use all 5 ports but didn't specify why. My Mega 360 freezes up all the time and has been doing this for a while now. I have not had the issue with Mega Live freezing up and I do use all 5 ports 3 control heads, the I-Pilot link and Mega Live. There is definitely an issue with software and the hub and hopefully at some point HB comes out with a new hub design and unit or units. You shouldn't have to daisy chain units together. Come out with a bigger hub with more ports and power if needed.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Also, I have heard that the Ethernet Hubs only support 4 devices. Although there are 5 ports, the 5th port is reserved for daisy-chaining to an additional hub. Although it may let you use the 5th port for a device, you might run into issues.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Member
    I have heard none of those things about the 5 port switch ever from HB. It might be true. It might be if you have 4 finders it gets too busy. HB came out with this newer one and put a line in the sand when the name units came out. They will do it again when the time comes. Has anyone seen a notice on any of this from HB? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...-does-it-share

What are the capabilities of a Humminbird Ethernet Network?

A Humminbird 5 Port Ethernet Switch (AS ETH 5PXG) is a great way to expand the networking capabilities of your boat. A Humminbird Ethernet Switch can accept up to five Ethernet connections and supports up to four (4) fish finders and one of each type of Ethernet accessory offered by Humminbird (Minn Kota motors with i-Pilot Link, CHIRP Radar, etc.). If your specific rigging scenario requires more than five Ethernet connections, up to three Ethernet Switches can be connected together with an ethernet cable. A network with multiple Ethernet Switches will be able to support up to four (4) fish finders and expands the number of Ethernet accessories that can be connected to the network.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...-does-it-share

What are the capabilities of a Humminbird Ethernet Network?

A Humminbird 5 Port Ethernet Switch (AS ETH 5PXG) is a great way to expand the networking capabilities of your boat. A Humminbird Ethernet Switch can accept up to five Ethernet connections and supports up to four (4) fish finders and one of each type of Ethernet accessory offered by Humminbird (Minn Kota motors with i-Pilot Link, CHIRP Radar, etc.). If your specific rigging scenario requires more than five Ethernet connections, up to three Ethernet Switches can be connected together with an ethernet cable. A network with multiple Ethernet Switches will be able to support up to four (4) fish finders and expands the number of Ethernet accessories that can be connected to the network.
    That sort of kills the One-Boat-Network 5-display installations (three at the bow and two at the console) that some use including the pros.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I’ve posted this before. This is a pic of the 5 port switch packaging. I purchased this Ethernet Switch last month and feel very confident it is the latest packaging/marketing for the 5 port switch. I did talk to support about my set up which was all 5 ports being utilized by 3 head units, i-Pilot and Mega Live. I was told I had a power issue and needed another Switch. So I daisy chained two Switches and have not had any freezing issues since. Not sure if my experience is going to help anyone or not, just thought I would throw it out there.

379-F7524-0-FA9-4-C67-BBC0-8-C0999841141.jpg
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 12-06-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Corrected
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

12. Member
    Well I am glad I am only using 3 ports on my Network switch with the possibility of maybe a 4th.
    No intentions of more at the moment. Leave it to Humminbird ;)

Call it a 4 port switch + expansion port available. if it cant support more than 4 things, its not a 5 port switch.

Anyone try hooking up the switch to a 24v power supply to see if their freezing goes away?
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

I've had my ML out 4 times now and it has not froze a single time. I have 3 graphs, Ultrex and ML all connected through a single Ethernet hub. Having used HB products for over 10 years now, I have to say that 95% of the issues that happen are due to incorrect installation and/or power related. Yes, there are software bugs that can be frustrating and HB doesn't always offer a fix soon enough. And of course there are faulty units at times, but those are rare.

To the OP, I would go back through your installation and check everything. And how are you powering everything? You may think you have adequate power but I have seen many times where the units just aren't getting the consistent power that's needed. Running through a boats accessory connection or wire that's too small with too many other things running off it...it's bad news for HB products.

Since I went to a dedicated electronics battery and rewired everything directly to it, I have had almost no issues. And with the addition of ML, I added a Blue Seas fuse box up front to connect everything. Was very simple to add and makes me feel confident that everything gets the power it needs and is protected.

Hope you get it worked out and back going again - I sure love having ML now and it's helped me find locate active fish more than a few times!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I’ve posted this before. This is a pic of the 5 port switch packaging. I purchased this Ethernet Switch last month and feel very confident it is the latest packaging/marketing for the 5 port switch. I did talk to support about my set up which was all 5 ports being utilized by 3 head units, i-Pilot and Ultrex. I was told I had a power issue and needed another Switch. So I daisy chained two Switches and have not had any freezing issues since. Not sure if my experience is going to help anyone or not, just thought I would throw it out there.

379-F7524-0-FA9-4-C67-BBC0-8-C0999841141.jpg
    Typical Humminbird. The packaging seems to imply only 4 things can connect to the device and one port is to daisy chain. Yet their website suggests you can connect four units plus another device or 5 non controls head type devices. I'm curious that support said you had a power issue and to add another hub. Wouldn't that require more power?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Typical Humminbird. The packaging seems to imply only 4 things can connect to the device and one port is to daisy chain. Yet their website suggests you can connect four units plus another device or 5 non controls head type devices. I'm curious that support said you had a power issue and to add another hub. Wouldn't that require more power?
    Im not an electrical engineer and am talking out my bum....
    Only reason that would make sense to me is if the 5 port switch is not designed to supply ample enough power to allow the cross communication between all the new networking tech they have come out with?
    The tech might have been talking out their bum, but if another switch worked, then its safe to say a switch with 5 certain devices connected to it is not getting enough power TO THAT SWITCH to support the functionality, hence they need another switch.

I see the switch can work with 12volt and 24volt systems. So I am curious if you supply 24 volts to the switch will it perform better with 5 units hooked up.
    Or do they prefer one voltage over another for better performance?

Just one more technicality to abide by with hbird products in my mind.
    I cant imagine ethernet type data is really that complex, but the package doesnt lie.
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

16. Member
    One network can contain up to three AS ETH 5PXG switches daisy chained together. The network is limited to a total of four Humminbird fish finders per network. Multiple Ethernet accessories can be connected as long as there are no duplicate accessories attached to the same network. Up to three sonar modules (SM1000, SM2000 and/or SM3000) can be connected simultaneously. You cannot loop nor mult-path with these switches.

That is directly from their site, yet the package says a total of 16 devices.
    So if you can have 3 switches connected - thats 11 open ports by my rough math.... assuming 2 switches will have one port taken each and 1 switch will have 2 ports taken to properly daisy chain.

how in the hell do you ever get to sixteen? 14 max open slots if you had 4 switches, which according to the site is wrong.
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    One network can contain up to three AS ETH 5PXG switches daisy chained together. The network is limited to a total of four Humminbird fish finders per network. Multiple Ethernet accessories can be connected as long as there are no duplicate accessories attached to the same network. Up to three sonar modules (SM1000, SM2000 and/or SM3000) can be connected simultaneously. You cannot loop nor mult-path with these switches.

That is directly from their site, yet the package says a total of 16 devices.
    So if you can have 3 switches connected - thats 11 open ports by my rough math.... assuming 2 switches will have one port taken each and 1 switch will have 2 ports taken to properly daisy chain.

how in the hell do you ever get to sixteen? 14 max open slots if you had 4 switches, which according to the site is wrong.
    Four usable ports on four daisy-chained Ethernet Switches= 16 connections. That was what was stated in the beginning of the Ethernet networking years ago.
    Current specs are different now and are on the website.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    How do you get 4 open ports on each switch and have all 4 switches connected to eachother at the same time, that doesnt leave 16 open ports, it leaves 14

Unless they have some sort of splitter used between each daisy chain?... meh either way....
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    How do you get 4 open ports on each switch and have all 4 switches connected to eachother at the same time, that doesnt leave 16 open ports, it leaves 14

Unless they have some sort of splitter used between each daisy chain?... meh either way....
    It's call math==each switch has 5 ports (it's called a 5-port Ethernet Switch). AS ETH 5PXG - 5-Port Ethernet Switch | Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com).
    Four of them would equal 20 ports.
    If you use one port on each switch to connect switches together, that uses up 4 ports== 20 minus 4= 16 devices.

BUT the current instructions is three Ethernet Switches daisy chained=15 ports total. Each has 5 ports, if you use one port on each switch to connect them together==15 minus 3= 12 devices. OR four devices per switch is 3 X 4=12

In no scenario would the number 14 apply.

AND what is connected to each of the 5 ports is not restricted, any of them can have a display, or accessory, or daisy chain cable connected to them.
    Accessories cannot be duplicated (like two LIVES) unless they are the discontinued sonar modules=SM1000, SM2000, SM3000.
    A single Switch can have 4 displays and an Ethernet device like MEGA LIVE.
    My single Switch installation currently is three displays, MEGA LIVE, and iPilot LINK.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    It's call math==each switch has 5 ports (it's called a 5-port Ethernet Switch). AS ETH 5PXG - 5-Port Ethernet Switch | Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com).
    Four of them would equal 20 ports.
    If you use one port on each switch to connect switches together, that uses up 4 ports== 20 minus 4= 16 devices.

BUT the current instructions is three Ethernet Switches daisy chained=15 ports total. Each has 5 ports, if you use one port on each switch to connect them together==15 minus 3= 12 devices. OR four devices per switch is 3 X 4=12

In no scenario would the number 14 apply.

AND what is connected to each of the 5 ports is not restricted, any of them can have a display, or accessory, or daisy chain cable connected to them.
    Accessories cannot be duplicated (like two LIVES) unless they are the discontinued sonar modules=SM1000, SM2000, SM3000.
    A single Switch can have 4 displays and an Ethernet device like MEGA LIVE.
    My single Switch installation currently is three displays, MEGA LIVE, and iPilot LINK.
    So what cable is used to daisy chain multiple network switches together?
    It must be a cable with more than one connection, i didnt know those existed, that was my point prior.
    If they connect via a standard Ethernet cable, then 14 open would definitely apply if we are talking a standard daisy chain.
    See image.

Assuming same logic - 3 Network switches connected would allow at maximum, 11 devices.

thumbnail_image0.jpg
    Last edited by bmwnc2; 12-06-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast