Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky6153 View Post
    To answer the question, I have 5 items connected to my hub. 3 Helix 12s, ultrex and Live. IAW Humminbird tech yesterday they are releasing a firmware update to address the freezing issue. The tech also said "well we would suggest 4 things going to the hub because the hub has a tendency to drop voltage and one item will stop responding".
    I'm not sure of this explanation. This kind of equipment doesn't use much power. A Netgear GS308 8 port switch is rated at 0.5amp/12v.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Well if Humminbird releases an 8 port switch, sounds like you will really only be able to use 6 of those ports ;)
    But also sounds like some guys run 5 devices just fine, and others do not.

This is exactly why it took me 9 months to fix a built in MDI transducer ;) Their answers dont make too much sense. Looks like Wayne might have another note he should add to his box.
    "What do I need to network these five ethernet devices, will the 5 port ethernet switch work?"
    Answer: "Well not exactly, you need 2 switches, dont ask why"
    Doesnt make me too confident about buying more stuff.....
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I'm not sure of this explanation. This kind of equipment doesn't use much power. A Netgear GS308 8 port switch is rated at 0.5amp/12v.
    You can say that again! This whole thread is built on a supposition on something somebody said to someone on a support phone call. I don't think all the people who answer the phone are electrical engineers. I will wait for an official version before I get too cranked up. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Saw a guy on FB use a standard ethernet switch in lieu of the proprietary HB version.
    The one thing is he had to buy the HB ethernet cables and splice in RJ 45 connectors.
    If I recall correctly the wire colors matched up under the black jacket.
    Either way he said it was successful and included pictures.
    Looked legit but I honestly prefer to stick with the marine grade HB units.
    Last edited by tweakjr; 12-09-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123